Tenerife Whale & Dolphin Conservation
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Tenerife Whale & Dolphin Conservation

Making a difference

Best aspects of the project:
Meeting new people with similar interests, actively making a difference and being able to have enough down time at the end of it all.

Areas that could be changed:
Free wifi and even more hands on work.

I want to thank all the staff for everything and I hope to be back soon!

Tenerife community

Everyone was very helpful and friendly! The orientation was very interesting and it really helped us to settle into the project. I loved being on the project and the community spaces were very nice as it meant we could eat together to see how everyone’s day had been!

The best aspects of the project were the opportunities to try different activities and the staff were very helpful giving us different information on all the things we could try within the community!

Loved it

The staff and volunteers were a big help in my enjoyment in the project although, I especially loved the boat excursions and surveying work. I feel like the community work could be slightly improved with more up to date posters or pictures with what we are talking about.

I was very satisfied with the living conditions here and quickly felt at home. Staff were also very helpful and put you first no matter what. I LOVED it.

Tenerife whales project

My expectations of the house and food were basic so this matched. My overall enjoyment of the project was very high and I felt the resources used were good enough to get the research done.

I most enjoyed going onto the whale watching boats and interacting with various species of cetaceans. I would suggest maybe some more organised communal activities so that free time can be filled up more.

Really liked the experience

The project is well organised and I really enjoyed my stay in the Frontier house.

I really liked the boats activities activities because I was able to talk to people on the boats and explain to them the project goals although I think that the costal activity near the lighthouse is useless for animal search.

Overall, I really liked this experience so I’m really interested in going in another Frontier trip.

Satisfying and rewarding

The briefing was kept short, allowing everyone to still be focused, as well as added humour to keep everyone engaged in the talks. Could perhaps offer some optional (and useful) Spanish phrases that are common, as well as explain more about the buses in the area and where to go, bus stop names etc.

I couldn’t have asked for a better time spent here and all my expectations were completely surpassed by the standard of organisation and aims on the project here.

The satisfaction and rewarding feeling of helping participate in the data collection as well as the beach cleaning. The staff were friendly and always helpful whilst still being professional as well as down to earth with all the volunteers.

Whale watching

The best apart was going on Whale Watching Boats and collecting the data, the support of all the amazing and helpful staff members, the other volunteers, activities on the week-end.

The number of volunteers is quite high, it would be better to reduce the amount of participants. Moreover, I would have loved to see what’s actually happening with the collected data and I would have been happy to help with further research/ analysing the findings of a year/etc. Besides the method of the coastal surveys are not totally well thought-out and none of the staff members could answer me questions about the methods and why we actually use these – that could be better.

Well-organized

Well-organized project with pre-determined tasks assigned for each member, staff are keen on fulfilling the objectives of the project and are extremely supportive, the activities are straight to the point and non-exhaustive.

The community work is very engaging which renders it highly important. I would encourage different places to carry out the community work and to run it twice a week.

The project was good

The project was good and the house was big and nice. The staff and students were very welcoming. I love meeting people and get to know the people in the town. The most enjoyable part of the project from me was being on the pilot whales and jumping off the boat into the water was amazing. I suggest that future volunteers make sure they bring a good camera and not just take pictures from the phone.

Look at all the different amazing things

I recommend that new volunteers research the island before you go out and have a look at all the different amazing things that you could do while you are out there do you not just stay on camp as many volunteers do or go to the local beach there is so much more to do but the volcano Mount Teide is such an amazing place to visit I recommend that you try it. It is an active volcano so you do need to check before you go that it is safe.

For me the most enjoyable part was when I bought inflatables

Thought it was okay we had a training in the mornings . Then out on the boats during the day and went to the pub in evenings. For me the most enjoyable part was when I bought inflatables for 5 pound and had a good time out on them. I would recommend future volunteers take lots of books, cards and boardgames maybe a frisbee to keep themselves occupied during their free time.

The most enjoyable part of the project was to meet great people

The first few days were all about training and then straight out to work which was a lot quicker than you would think it would be. But great to get straight stuck into it. The most enjoyable part of the project was to meet great people with the same interest and to work with the animals in their natural environment. I recommend that future volunteers come with the right mind frame to do research rather than party.

Whale and dolphin conservation in Tenerife!

I went on this trip a month or so ago and can still remember what an amazing time I had! I'd love to go back so much! I spent 3 weeks there working with the other volunteers everyday on the boats gathering data and photos for identification of resident species in the area and also educating tourist on the cetacean watching boats. Monitoring legal and illegal boat traffic was also a main concern here as noise pollution can be a huge threat for these wonderful species. The best bit, seeing such breathtaking animals in their natural habitat and trying to help them and future generations. My best bit was seeing a baby bottlenose dolphin swimming with its mum near to the boat, so cute! Everyone's really nice when you get there and super friendly and helpful too. On your day off you get to have a lovely explore of the island too and sunbathing on the beautiful beaches. I would go back without a second thought if i could, cannot recommend more!

Two weeks in Tenerife

I chose the tenerife project as it's in Europe (Tenerife is politically a part of Spain) so you don't need any visas or special medical arrangements, and it's pretty cheap to get to (around €250 return depending on when you go).
It's kind of like a vacation as you get to do your own thing or hang out with the other volunteers on your days off, but you also get involved in an ongoing conservation research project on working days.
We went out on the boats 3 or 4 times a week, and spent a fair bit of time learning the surveying and data processing side of things.
Two weeks wasn't really long enough, but it's a great intro to volunteering abroad.

Unforgettable

The house is incredible, I was expecting a basic standard of living as this is what you get on most projects, however it was far from basic.

The work itself was very rewarding, a typical day on the boats involves a 2-3 hour trip, in this time the captains would attempt to locate whales, when they did our task would be to photograph the fins and to record the location, conditions of the sea and behaviour of the whales. As well as this we would be attempting to get signatures for our petition to stop global commercial whaling, this involved interacting with the tourists on the boat, trying to gain their interest and support and educating them as best we could by answering any questions they may have, either about the petition or the whales themselves.

On the days which we weren’t on the boat we would spend time sorting out pictures from the previous day, seeing which photos we could use then trying to use the pictures of the fins to identify the whales; each whale’s fin is unique, like a fingerprint. We would then have a few hours of free time for a “siesta” or to go in the pool or just generally explore. We would then spend the afternoon working on our own projects, these can be projects which you have thought of yourselves or else the staff can advise you on areas of research to assist on, which may be helpful to the project and its future.

I have come away from this project with new insight, new interests and new friends, thank you Frontier Tenerife - it's been unforgettable! x

Whale Watching!

I spent two weeks on the Tenerife whales project. Really enjoyed it! The staff are lovely and although I was only there a short time I really felt like a part of the team, and that my activities were part of something larger. On a typical day you will probably go out on the whale watching boats for half a day. During this we're involved in two main activities - cataloguing the whales and dolphins sighted (there are loads in this part of the world!) and raising awareness on sustainable whale watching.
The volunteer house is a real gem, it's far enough from the city centre that it's peaceful but you can walk to town in 10 or 15 minutes. There's loads of space to socialise, cook, and work on the project initiatives.
I'd like to have stayed longer but I am aiming to go back again in the new year

Best experience ever!

I came on this trip with zero knowledge of Cetaceans and didn't really know what to expect. I booked the trip for a personal educational experience and that is exactly what I got. From day one I was learning and every day I learnt something new.
The Frontier staff are so knowledgeable and dedicated to what they do, they are a true inspiration. They share their knowledge and answered all of my questions, even the stupid ones!

I would totally recommend this project even if you're not studying in the field (I'm not studying) it is super educational and you will take away so many memorable moments.

Dolphinately amazing

I spent a few months on the project and had a lot of time to learn about cetaceans, see them in the wild and learn the different aspects of the conservation work.
Activities included going out on the boats (obviously) where you collect data about the animals (species, numbers of adults and juveniles, their behaviour...) and try and take pictures of fins to match them later at home with an existing catalogue of fin shots - it is not easy and you need a good camera! But after a while you learn and do get a few usable shots.
My favourite part on the boats was talking to tourists and explaining the work we do to them and tell them a little more about the animals they were seeing. Some were very interested and the discussions with them were great.

And then of course there are the sightings! With the amount of trips I had I have seen dolphins breaching, pilot whales surfing in the waves, resting, juveniles playing around near their mothers... and yes, the occasional big baleen whale when they migrate past the south coast of Tenerife.
It is an amazing experience well worth doing!!

Whale of a time with Frontier :)

Frontier Tenerife Whale and Dolphin Project

Upon my arrival at the volunteer house in Tenerife I was welcomed in straight away by my fellow volunteers and Xiana,my project co-ordinator. Many of the volunteers had been there for a few weeks before. I was the first male on the project and couldn't wait to get started.

My first day consisted of household tasks such as preparing the house, cooking duties and the project briefing. To learn the different species and what I would be observing furthered my excitement even more. Although the project was new,it had already had a very good amount of planning and preparation behind it from the volunteer co-ordinator and Tracey who was a volunteer but was now working as a project assistant to Xiana.

Upon looking at the rota I was very excited to see that I was on four different boat trips throughout the week observing dolphins and pilot whales. The previous year I had undertaken another project with Frontier with the olive ridley sea turtles in Mexico,so my knowledge and CV was being filled with valuable field experience which will help my career into marine biology.

Everyday on the boats was amazing! To have the open ocean in front of you, the sea breeze, amazing crew, fellow volunteers and of course the pilot whales, made me realise that this is living of the highest order. Upon returning to the house,I had to input my data and recording any photographs we had taken. This allowed us to track the different pods, recording individual pod members and hopefully stand for higher conservation methods in the future for these majestic animals of the ocean.

Even though I was only on project for a week I was amazed at how quickly everyone worked together, respected each other's cultures and backgrounds and most importantly shared a passion for marine cetaceans. I have made some lifelong friends and even though we will probably never all be together again, I believe that the best photo graphs are the ones that we create in our memories. I certainly have a bucket load of which I'll never forget.

With smiles and thanks
Damion Vincent

Trip of a lifetime

The experience was incredible; I would definitely do this again. I was slightly nervous as I have not done anything like this before, but I had so much fun and I learnt a lot on the project about myself and the conservation itself. It was an amazing trip of a life time and it helped me to release that I can push myself so much further.

It was a jolly good time

Overall the project was a load of fun and I had a really good time. The staff were great and I made some friends. The project itself was fun and i enjoyed looking out for the dolphins and whales, and in general, trying to have an impact. It wasn't what I was expecting but it was great nonetheless.

An Incredible Experience

I loved meeting new people and becoming so close to them in 3 weeks.
The staff are so friendly they felt like volunteers I am really going to miss them.
The balance of free time and set activity is excellent.
The organisation of the project is brilliant.
I will never forget the first time I saw a bottlenose dolphin and a pilot whale, an incredible sighting and you get to see them three times a week!
The project briefing at the beginning was very informative and I have come away knowing a lot more about the conservation of whales and dolphins, and methods being put in place for the future.

Whale and dolphin project

I enjoyed all the tasks and free time. I had a very good time, and believe we do need to ensure the tourism doesn’t affect the wildlife to much. I was given a lot of information of what we can do on free time.

Welcoming and friendly

I was on the Tenerife whales and dolphins project for three weeks.

Obviously the whales were amazing but the people really made the trip. All the staff and other volunteers were so welcoming and friendly.

Cracking

Community was a little difficult due to limited resources but this is being improved, beach cleaning was awesome!

Boat Work was great and truly rewarding, awesome to meet new people from all over the world!

Absolutely cracking experience and would thoroughly recommend.