Tanzania Marine Conservation & Diving
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Tanzania Marine Conservation & Diving

Mafia Island Diving

My favourite part was the day excursions and activities that were organised for us. For example, whale watching, trip to the sandbanks and trip to the North. These were all really well organised.

I would have liked to dive more with Frontier. My training was brilliant and I wouldn’t ask for anything more but after qualifying with my Open and Advanced it would have been nice to dive more regularly.

Love diving

Surveys were explained clearly to me and as many times as I needed. When we did our first survey Demi took at very good one-to-one approach and left us try ourselves and gave useful suggestions. I was already qualified as an advanced diver before arriving but Demi was patient with me and my mistakes as it has been a while since I last dived and was very very good as making us all feel safe underwater.

I came to camp with no knowledge of marine life so everything was new to me, I really enjoyed learning as I love diving and wanted to learn more about what I see underwater. Doing the science side of the project was useful in educating myself as to the impacts of what I see when diving.

I was not expecting electricity to charge my phone, nor the easy access to internet with a local sim. This made life a lot easier. We ate out in the village a lot when we didn’t have time to cook and I very much enjoyed the local food. I didn’t have any medical problems whilst here. Demi made us feel extremely safe whilst diving and with the patrol.

Mafia marine surveys

All of the marine surveys (fish, coral and inverts), once known very simple and enjoyable techniques. The data collect during the diving surveys was surely my favorite, writing down the species seen along the transect with a special path in order to observe as much as possible and have the most accurate data possible.

Well the conditions weren’t hard, different for sure but just great, so as for the accommodation.

Hygiene was really well respected, food as well (oh yes just amazing), didn’t have a lot of medical issues, just small ones but well dealt with.

Safety was the number one priority, no doubt about that, especially with Demi who was constantly giving advice and making sure that we were safe at all time, especially during diving.

To end, I enjoyed this project SO MUCH really, I can’t really describe it, it was perfect.

Whale sharks, Turtles and beach life

During the 6 weeks I was at the beach camp on Mafia Island I did countless dives and surveys. We even saw some of the more spectacular marine wildlife – a whale shark on two occasions and turtles many times. The camp is right on the beach and is rustic but has everything you need. Mafia Island is a protected area anyway so it needs to be low impact. After the diving, the best thing about the project is the social life. Everyone’s relaxed and fun, and chips in to help out with stuff around camp. I’m going to miss my beach cabin!

A great introduction

I went on the Tanzania project in July. I have never met a more committed team of staff, something which was very encouraging and spurred the volunteers on as well.
It has completely changed my plans for the future; I am now applying for a university course in animal sciences, which wasn't my experience before.
It was certainly a life changer, I enjoyed every minute of it.
I can’t wait to go back , because I love Tanzania and most importantly the people. Their simpler way of life appeals to me as does their attitude towards life.

Life on camp was amazing

Life on camp was amazing and the diving in general was brilliant. I'm hoping it will help towards the experience I need towards a career in conservation biology.