Madagascar Wildlife Conservation Adventure
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Madagascar Wildlife Conservation Adventure

Wonderful experience

The best aspect of the Madagascar Wildlife Conservation project was being able to carry out important and interesting work in a relaxed manner.

It was a wonderful experience, and one that I would gladly do again

Amazing experience in Madagascar

This really was an amazing experience and it was great to be able to see the wildlife of Madagascar. It is great if my volunteering time and money is contributing towards the conservation of this wildlife but if not, it was an amazing holiday and I had a wonderful time.

It is well worth it

I really enjoyed this project, it was really good, everything was smooth running. On the first day we were met at the airport and shown around town. On the second day we were out on the boat to the little island doing our searches and walks. The best part of this project was my weekend away at Nosy Iranja this was absolutely amazing and relaxing opportunity. We did lots of amazing things like scuba-diving and snorkelling in this beautiful out of this world surroundings. I would recommend that future volunteers take the time out to go to Nosy Iranja it is expensive but it is well worth it.

The project overall was amazing

The project overall was amazing and I have learnt so much in such a sort space of time. I have met some really great people who made the experience worthwhile and something that I won't be forgetting at all. The staff on the whole were fantastic and hope they continue to do what they are doing to keep the project running well.

Nosy be wildlife

Having arrived with only a little information on species present in nosy be I now feel comfortable in identifying most species that may be present by sight or sound.

The best aspect of the placement was seeing the wildlife of Madagascar and building field species ID skills.

Meeting so many lovely new people

I spent the first few days just settling into the project and getting to know everybody and the other volunteers and staff, everybody was very nice. On the first day I arrived there was a festival that I was invited to which was brilliant. For me the most enjoyable part of the project was the reptiles and the wildlife in general, it was a well established project. Meeting so many lovely new people was definitely the highlight of the trip for me.

The project generally exceeded my expectations

The staff did a great job showing me around Phnom Penh and the project. The training was of a high quality. The scientific side of the project was well handled. The project generally exceeded my expectations regarding things such as food, accommodation and facilities.

Well done Frontier

Very good communication from Frontier from application to arriving at the airport. Science was very good and I enjoyed and application of the work very much. I felt what we were doing was systematic and useful. Every thing was better than expected. I most enjoyed the learning about the Fish and coral in a wonderful classroom setting, camp life and the beautiful location. Well done Frontier

It encouraged us to become more involved

I feel that the best aspect was the work ethic of the staff members and the enthusiasm they showed. It encouraged us to become more involved

Overall I had a fantastic time

I felt that the organisation of the forest science programme was very well done in general. We had daily timetables which organised the surveys. Overall I had a fantastic time, mainly due to meeting new people and making new friends.

Ambalahenke a lovely village

Friendly atmosphere, staff knowledgeable and approachable. Great Location, access to towns Nice camp. Ambalahenke a lovely village.

I had fun

Best aspects of the project: diving, teaching the local children, seeing lots of exciting wildlife, and making lots of new friends and meeting like minded people.

Overall had an awesome time

The Staff are wicked, fun and friendly, meet loads of people and made lots of friends. Diving most enjoyable, the dive life was awesome. There were always activities to do. Overall had an awesome time.

Camp life was truly a unique experience

Camp life was truly a unique experience, where everyone interacts and works together. People on camp made every moment valuable. The staff were absolutely amazing. The camp facilities are basic but surprisingly hygienic and comfortable.

The staff on camp are amazing

The staff on camp are amazing. The people on camp made it good, camp is awesome. Staff on site are spot on. They made this project for me.

Madagascar Wilflife Adventure

When I originally saw Frontiers wildlife conservation opportunities in Madagascar I was determined to get out and get started. Madagascar is somewhere I have always wanted to visit, for it's huge range of endemic species, and incredible scenery. Thankfully I have not been let down, with the fantastic staff deployed on the Island of Nosy Be, most species can be identified with just a quick word, and if not there is a decent selection of books for fish, reptiles, amphibians, and mammals. Sadly there is less known about the flora of the island, as an aspiring botanist, this should have been more upsetting; however, the friendly people, cheap and tasty food around camp and fauna surrounding you on all sides, never disappoints. I could not recommend this experience enough, my only words would be to grab on with both hands, and don't neglect learning the species, and bits of French before you get out here. Don't miss out, come and do this, you'll meet people you'll never forget and hope to stay friends with, Madagascar is truly an adventure.

An amazing experience

My experience in this program has been incredible. The kindness and openness of the locals, the beautiful nature filled with unique species and all the different but somehow like minded people you meet at camp. Living simple but still covering most needs forces you to go out of your own comfort zone in some way, something we all could need more off. Im thankful for all I have learned in nature, about people and about myself while being here. I will carry this experience with me in my journeys to come.

We found something interesting to observe every day.

Basic living add to the adventure and promote understanding of alternative ways of life and cultures. Loved the interaction of the locals of Ambalahonko village. While out on surveys we found something interesting to observe every day.

The overall experience was amazing

Best aspects of the project: The overall experience was amazing and something I will always look back on in later life. The walks and the wildlife was amazing and great fun and also Sat Camp was brilliant.

Madagascar wildlife conservation