Madagascar Marine Conservation & Diving
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Madagascar Marine Conservation & Diving

Experience of a lifetime

For me, it was the best thing to spent my free time here in Madagascar. I enjoyed every single day. The people here are great, the way of living is so chilled and diving here is magical. Never thought it would be so hard for me leaving this place. I've found here a lot of new friends who made this trip perfect for me and I'm gonna miss them so much.

Trip of a lifetime

I was unsure of what to expect upon arivle to camp. It had already seemed ages ago since I left my home country and traveled to Nosy Be by air and boat. It was a process to get there and I still wasnt sure if all the trouble was worth it. I am now pleased to say that my time with Frontier in Madagascar was totally worth all the hard work it took to get there. I found an endless amount of adventure, friendship, and sense of self fulfillment during my stay at Nosy Be and would not trade this experience of a lifetime for anything.

Diving in Madagascar

Staff have been great fun and made lots of effort to be helpful and friendly. Food was different each day which was nice.

Got to dive multiple times a day. Learnt so much about the marine environment and species here. Plenty of other things to do outside of project and all staff and volunteers have been great fun.

Excellent staff

Overall experience has been much easier than I expected. Food and living conditions much better than expected. Staff were excellent, very friendly, always working hard to make the camp life enjoyable and interesting.

The best part of the project was the marine diving

I did not know what to expect for the first few days I was walking into the unknown however everyone was very friendly from the outset. I think the project itself has set a good platform to move forward. For me the best part of the project was the marine diving and meeting lots of new people, doing the quizzes and the food. We would sit around the campfire which was great fun. we learnt so much interacting with the animals. I recommend to future volunteers to get prepared for anything nothing is run to schedule in this country be very laid-back and patient. Things are done differently in third world countries compared to England the quicker you get used to how laid-back things are, the more you can enjoy where you are and what you are doing.

I learnt so much

I went on the project with my brother and I learnt so much during this time I feel as though I could work anywhere now. It has given me the confidence to achieve anything in life. I can deal with things going wrong and calmly look for a solution and put it into practice. For me the most enjoyable part of the project was gaining the management experience. I have done lots of research experience in the past but to be able to manage people and build a rapport with them was the highlight for me. I think the project can be improved by showing an understanding of why conservation is needed many of the volunteers do not understand the reasoning why we collect the data analysis so it would be great to have a little bit more emphasis on on this. As Volunteers collect data but do not analyse it and do not understand the reasons behind it. Volunteers should bring a good mosquito repellent and make sure that their torch is a good torch as often there is no power here so can become very very dark without a torch.

I had a wonderful experience

I had a wonderful experience on the project I got a lot out of it I did a four week diving BTEC where I carried out lots of surveys. I most enjoyed the marine biology side of the project, I did lots of driving, carried out surveys and collected data. I recommend the future volunteers bring mosquito repellent and a good head torch as there is no power sometimes.

I most enjoyed scuba-diving every day on this project

The first few days were really good in Madagascar someone meet me at the airport and took us too camp we began scuba-diving. I most enjoyed scuba-diving every day on this project. I recommend that future volunteers bring lots of snacks with them as it is a very remote place. I do not have any suggestions on how you could improve the project.

Missing Madagascar

Just go back from 4 great weeks on the Frontier Manta Camp. The Frontier conservation camp in Northern Madagascar. Time just flew past with loads of diving and fun education days in the local village. Seen turtles, moray eels, lion fish, dolphin and loads of coral.
So amazing.
Volunteers are really fun and locals are warm and welcoming, the staff are awesome, but bad a football. I'm missing mad so much.

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Once In a lifetime experience

I completed my divemaster out in Madagascar and it was so amazing. The best thing i have ever done. The wildlife, the reef, the jungle, the beaches, the sun, the people. This isn't a holiday, you are here to work, learn and explore. Which is the best way to get to know a beautiful and diverse country like this. Working with the villagers is absolutely amazing, I learnt so much from talking to them. If you're looking to embrace a life changing experience and discover somewhere like no other with the expertise of the staff on camp, you need this trip. Carrot necklaces included.

Madagascar diving

The welcome to the country was very warm with Orsi picking us up at the airport and settlinging us in. And then got to meet some of the team for dinner.

The best aspect was the overall ambience and the energy in camp. Had an amazing 2 months here, loved the diving, the forest walks the dedication of the staff and the obvious love for nature.

Candid

Go with low expectations of living arrangements and you will be pleasantly surprised, pre departure info shocking, staff are amazing and your attitude will dictate if you enjoy or not. I highly recommend

Marine Surveying

During my time I was able to join 1 Mangrove survey and many beach cleans as well on my final week they introduced a Nudibranch survey which I actively got involved in and found to be interesting. Overall there was a decent amount of dives much more than the field brief would lead volunteers to think which is definitely a good thing.

Having read all the documents and information online in depth before-hand I did not find any surprises, little has changed since the camp tour video other than the gym is less maintained and a new long drop has been erected.

Camp is much cleaner than I expected and particularly the risk of barefoot around camp is not true and the sand does not harbour risks. Mosquitoes have not been a huge problem and in general wildlife has been quite scarce other than the odd snake or spider around the long drop which is to be expected.

Food has been superb particularly as the field brief leads you to believe it will be purely rice and beans which is not true, even when it is they are well seasoned with a decent serving of vegetables too. Re-supplies happen regularly (Monday and Thursday) which means they are generally always fresh and in good condition other than a few bananas as it gets close to the next re-supply. Staff are friendly and open to allow you to help and on a few occasions I have been able to actively get involved in the cooking which is something wanted to do and glad they were open to permit this, in particular the bean burgers I heavily got involved in.

Madagascar marine conservation Sept-Oct '17

The camp, all the staff and the overall experience in Madagascar was better than expected. The pre-departure information and the contact personel i had before i got to camp in Madagascar was pretty terrible and that put me off a lot and made me heccitade to even go. But once in camp i had a great time and i would do it all over again.