Fiji Shark Conservation
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Fiji Shark Conservation

Amazing project

Living all together in a camp, working together, cooking together, cleaning together, Mangrove projects, surveys – Shark, Fish and Benthic. Nothing needs changing.

Please use this space for any additional comments about your project or overall experience:
Celebrating my 21st Birthday over here was truly magical, I will never forget the people or project. I just love everything and everyone so much, Ive had the best time of my life and I would recommend it to everyone I know.

I would like to thank all of the staff for being amazing, supportive, helpful, caring, pushing me to be the best I can be, training, and just generally living with a group of truly amazing people who genuinely care about the conservation of the ocean and reefs. It has inspired me and left me feeling so happy. I would particularly like to give a special mention to Jess again for looking after me when I first arrived regardless of not knowing if I was actually a part of the frontier project. I quote, “I just couldn’t leave you by yourself in the middle of Fiji not knowing if you were going to be okay.” I have never met a person who’s so happy to help and full of life. She’s irreplaceable to the project and pulled everything together and made it work. I can’t sing her praises enough really. Amazing team, amazing location, amazing project. Thank you, Frontier, for making my 21st birthday something I will never ever forget.

Friendly and welcoming

Everyone was so friendly and welcoming that were already on the project and everyone arriving at the same time as me was as well. The staff were all great, passionate about their subjects and were very informative both in regards to the project and general marine biology career advice which I’m really appreciative of. The diving was in all regards (sites, guidance and equipment) excellent and very well run, I loved all the dives I went on.

An extra solar panel for the camp would be really helpful, for powering lights and staff electrics as I felt that that was a source of some stress to staff and others on camp. Potentially adding some more concrete/secure paving to common paths around camp would be helpful to prevent slipping and increase cleanliness on camp.

Amazing diving

This project was probably one of the best experiences of my life. Everyone I have met are incredibly interesting and wonderful to talk to. The diving is amazing and I couldn’t recommend coming to this project enough.

Worthwhile

When I arrived, I was greeted straight away with no delay. Once I arrived at camp I was briefed straight away. It would have been good to establish exactly what we need to do and the skills we need to be able to do in more depth.

The work being done I felt was worthwhile and significant to Fiji as it was helping to conserve the marine life, which is crucial for Fiji. The project had a variety of community work available to help contribute.

The conditions at camp were kept well by the staff however the resources available at camp was very limited and old. Many of the staff did a great job, making me feel welcome and they were great at their job.

The people I met on the project were the best part, they are hopefully people I will stay in contact with after, and made my time on the project even better. Fiji itself was beautiful and meeting people who live there allowed me to learn about their traditions.

Unique marine life

I had an amazing time due to most of the staff and the volunteers on camp. Everyone was very helpful and tried to make the most out of the time here on Beqa. The marine life is unique and incomparable to any other experiences. The adventures are irreplaceable, experiences unpredictable and the location is stunning. Every day is a new journey and one never knows what he or she will see

Shark conservation in Fiji

Once at the project, everything was explained well, organised well, and felt useful and worthwhile, however the expectations were not met seeing as the project I was told about, signed up for, and paid extra for seems to have no longer existed once I started the project. The advertisement and explanation from London did not match the project itself. Even so, the people working here on the
project made sure we got extra experience and activities/projects to match as closely as possible the project I was expecting. The volunteers on camp worked amazingly well for the resources they have available here, however I can tell that the London offices do not have enough contact with the projects to know that the project I was on is not the same as It was two years ago.

Didn’t really know what to expect, but the fact that even in a jungle on an island in the middle of the ocean, we had not only clean drinking water but a flushing toilet, working stove, and the possibility of a hot shower! Completely exceeding my very low expectations of camp life.