Fiji Marine Conservation & Diving
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Fiji Marine Conservation & Diving

Welcoming Community

I was pleasantly surprised with the living conditions and how organised the camp was. All the staff members were very professional, welcoming, understanding and I was aware of their roles.

The welcoming community in the camp was amazing along with the beautiful surroundings and diving spots. I think better communication between the Beqa staff and London Headquarters is needed, and the kit list should be updated. For example many items labelled compulsory, I have not used throughout my project.

Beqa Life

If it would be possible to know the quantity of volunteers on camp for a certain period of time as well as be given a more accurate depiction of what life on camp and on Beqa in general would be like.

At the airport I saw Frontier staff immediately after walking through baggage claim exactly where I was informed by email that they would be. At the airport Jessica stood out for being exceptionally friendly and approachable; she was able to answer all questions that I asked and gave me enough information about life on camp to feel confident starting this project. No issues occurred during the transfer, I was kept well informed and never felt lost or separated. The briefings were conducted in a professional and fun way.

Please use this space to comment on how you would improve the in-country training:
I was given access to all materials that I needed to help my training from the beginning of the project and all staff were supportive and willing to help when it was necessary. Claire and Abbie were especially helpful and supportive while I was studying the species.

The best part was getting to know the other volunteers and staff members and the overall atmosphere created within camp.

Diving on Beqa

Best aspects of the project:
- Staff incredibly friendly and approachable with any problems
- Jess, Claire and Flash were very dedicated to the project and consistently concerned with the needs of the volunteers.
- Flash was an impeccable Dive officer, I felt safe

Areas that could be changed:
- Information received before entering the project where limited.
- Little information about additional costs

I really enjoyed my time on Beqa.

Diving in Fiji

Aside from the diving which was amazing, I really enjoyed the camp atmosphere. I’ve met some brilliant people while Ive been here and was surprised how well I got on with my campmates and have come away with some friends I won’t easily forget and am quite sad to be leaving.

Just a bit more information into the background of the project on arrival which would help give some perspective to the project and it’s importance.

Fiji marine conservation

The campsite was a lot more developed than I thought it would be with beds, power and appliances we could use which I was really happy about and didn’t think we would get the luxury of.

The objective of the science programme is great I just didn’t get the chance to do much surveying since I wasn’t staying for very long.

It is fantastic

When we first arrived on the project We just chilled I'm packed met other volunteers and staff and then we just got on with it. The whole experience was like a world wind. The diving was the best in it was like David Attenborough, absolutely fantastic seeing the white fin shark, turtles, parrotfish and that's just to name a few. Future volunteers should take lots of mosquito repellent. I would recommend any volunteers to do this project as it is fantastic you see you so much.

The experience has affected by career choices massively!

The experience has affected by career choices massively! I am starting MEng in mechanical engineering, am most likely leaving this path to pursue a career in diving. I loved it so much, hope one day to work out there for Frontier.

Amazing diving

The Diving was amazing, the staff were very helpful and the training was good. The Accommodation was better than expected. London staff could have a better understanding of what goes on with the project.

Marine surveying

The staff were very welcoming and everything was well explained. The transport to the project was stress free.

Good number of lectures on fish species and coral with additional help available if needed. Practice surveys helped also.

I enjoyed the visual shark spotting surveys the most the staff knew where the best spots to see sharks.

Was a bit unclear where the data we collected from surveys was going.
It was easy to understand what you were going to do from the week ahead.
Good amount of interaction with locals including vising the school, volleyball tournament and dinner/cava in Naisseuseu

Great science and surveys

Each of the staff were amazing, they were so welcoming and helpful. The bus to Navua and the boat to Beqa was great, very smooth and no delays. Jess helped me all the way. It was also nice that I was greeted by some of the volunteers from camp at the airport.

The science and all surveys were great, each member of the staff were so enthusiastic about everything which made it more fun. Although if the data that we collected was used within the mataqali to decide which areas were tamboo sites and there was an education scheme with the locals, surveying would be more worthwhile.

Camp was so much better than I was expecting, the life on camp was amazing and everyone was so friendly and approachable. The beds were comfy and a nice surprise compared to the pre-deployment information that I would be sleeping on the ground with a role mat. The food was great with lots of spices to make dishes more appealing. However, I would love if there was more fruit because there was little to none provided.

All the staff were amazing, they were so approachable and friendly yet professional. The diving was amazing, the training and the surveys were so fun and the general vibe on camp was amazing. The only problem I had was the kit list, it had stuff on there that I didn’t need and it didn’t include the essential things like a pillow and a solar panel charger, which wasted my money. The project also gave me such a great experience of Fiji and the culture including visits to the local village for food once a week and for expeditions/ sports. Thank you to the staff on Beqa and a special shout out to flash who goes out of his way to help improve the facilities on camp and for fixing all the problems on camp with very little supplies.

Really enjoyed it

Really enjoyed it. Something I will never forget. The close relationship with SumoSumo and being adopted by a family is something truly special.

A brilliant team made an amazing experience

Enjoyed the project and felt especially welcomed by the staff. I learnt a lot from them and thoroughly enjoyed their company. A brilliant team made an amazing experience. Diving sites were the best I have visited and saw some of the most amazing sights of my life. I won't forget this unbelievable experience.

I had an amazing time in Fiji

Emma, Claire, Shannon, Luke and Ant all made us feel so welcome and helped with all aspects of camp life. I had an amazing time in Fiji and learnt a lot about the culture, myself and had a doing science and my BTEC work. Thanks Emma!

I hope to come back in the future to be a staff member

I enjoyed some of the best weeks here with the other volunteers and staff. Like a big family! I hope to come back in the future to be a staff member.

The camp staff were amazing

The camp staff were amazing. Always friendly and helpful. They know their science, and I learned a lot! Fiji is a beautiful location, I would like to see a stronger implementation of an educational program for the locals to coincide with the science program.

Loved every minute of it

I think what you do here is brilliant and the effort put in by you all really shows. Loved every minute of it and look forward to the next phase!

Fantastic

The quality of dive instruction here is fantastic, and made the whole experience fun and safe. I had an awesome time and made loads of friends.

My time in Fiji

Although I was only here a short time I was welcomed into camp with open arms, thrust into cooking and camp duties and into dive training a science lectures very quickly. This gave me something to talk about with my fellow volunteers and allowed me to connect all the more easily. At the beginning of the project my confidence was suffering slightly but the support from every one else on camp quickly allowed me to come out of my shell and make some life long friends.

Fiji diving

The briefing and transport were provided on time and at a low cost. The in-country training could not be improved. Exceptional.

Basic living conditions were mentioned several times throughout the build up to the project which I was well aware of. Expectations were low and the actual outcome was surprising.

All Frontier staff have been kind, courteous and easily approachable. A vegetarian diet was not stated to the best of my knowledge.

Enjoyable

I study marine biology and the fish species, families and coral tests were incredibly helpful. Snorkelling I was able to identify the fish I had seen in presentations.

I was on the school trips three of my four weeks on Beqa, some of the lessons I felt were incredibly unorganised and felt like a spare part stood at the back of the classroom. There was school prep on the board but only happened once, which was unfortunate, but the last lesson I took part in was really well organised as we were talking to the children about pollution and plastics in the ocean.

The people I met, living with a group of 20 people day in and out, you learn to love each other. I have met some amazing people and in particular the staff Claire s, Abbie and Dylan made my trip as enjoyable as it was.

I have loved the whole experience

I have loved the whole experience and think it has really helped me develop and grow up. The people, place and camp life all exceeded my expectations.

Overall the experience was amazing

Overall the experience was amazing - great to learn from the science officer about the science aspect of the project, and the dive officers were awesome too. Learnt loads while here and am planning already to continue my marine conservation career and education.

The field staff were amazing

The field staff were amazing, so passionate about the aims and what they wanted to achieve. Really understood all aspects of being out here and helped us feel at home. Enjoyed the project and look forward to seeing what the results may be used for in future. An incredible experience!

Great experience

Great experience, made better by the staff. Amazing time was had, great gateway experience into conservation and the culturre and beauty of the country.

I couldn't ask for a better staff

I couldn't ask for a better staff, dive team and research group, this group feels like family and would be welcome in my home any day. They keep a very professional but beautiful island life approach. I couldn't have taken anything more from this experience. The expectations I had were more than met, the staff was flexible and respectful and make sure for a great experience for every different type of person.