Fiji Marine Conservation & Diving
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Fiji Marine Conservation & Diving

Amazing experience

This has been one of the most amazing experience in my life and no doubt I have enjoyed this very much. All the staffs have been super friendly and helpful.

More resources can be put into the accommodation and the cooking facilities as everything is very basic and sometimes it was impossible to cook and shower without water. Also I have noticed that surveys are not often done in further sites, as staffs have mentioned fuel for the boat is expensive.

Fiji diving

The briefing and transport were provided on time and at a low cost. The in-country training could not be improved. Exceptional.

Basic living conditions were mentioned several times throughout the build up to the project which I was well aware of. Expectations were low and the actual outcome was surprising.

All Frontier staff have been kind, courteous and easily approachable. A vegetarian diet was not stated to the best of my knowledge.

Enjoyable

I study marine biology and the fish species, families and coral tests were incredibly helpful. Snorkelling I was able to identify the fish I had seen in presentations.

I was on the school trips three of my four weeks on Beqa, some of the lessons I felt were incredibly unorganised and felt like a spare part stood at the back of the classroom. There was school prep on the board but only happened once, which was unfortunate, but the last lesson I took part in was really well organised as we were talking to the children about pollution and plastics in the ocean.

The people I met, living with a group of 20 people day in and out, you learn to love each other. I have met some amazing people and in particular the staff Claire s, Abbie and Dylan made my trip as enjoyable as it was.

Amazing diving

The Diving was amazing, the staff were very helpful and the training was good. The Accommodation was better than expected. London staff could have a better understanding of what goes on with the project.

Diving on Beqa

Best aspects of the project:
- Staff incredibly friendly and approachable with any problems
- Jess, Claire and Flash were very dedicated to the project and consistently concerned with the needs of the volunteers.
- Flash was an impeccable Dive officer, I felt safe

Areas that could be changed:
- Information received before entering the project where limited.
- Little information about additional costs

I really enjoyed my time on Beqa.

Marine surveying

The staff were very welcoming and everything was well explained. The transport to the project was stress free.

Good number of lectures on fish species and coral with additional help available if needed. Practice surveys helped also.

I enjoyed the visual shark spotting surveys the most the staff knew where the best spots to see sharks.

Was a bit unclear where the data we collected from surveys was going.
It was easy to understand what you were going to do from the week ahead.
Good amount of interaction with locals including vising the school, volleyball tournament and dinner/cava in Naisseuseu

Great science and surveys

Each of the staff were amazing, they were so welcoming and helpful. The bus to Navua and the boat to Beqa was great, very smooth and no delays. Jess helped me all the way. It was also nice that I was greeted by some of the volunteers from camp at the airport.

The science and all surveys were great, each member of the staff were so enthusiastic about everything which made it more fun. Although if the data that we collected was used within the mataqali to decide which areas were tamboo sites and there was an education scheme with the locals, surveying would be more worthwhile.

Camp was so much better than I was expecting, the life on camp was amazing and everyone was so friendly and approachable. The beds were comfy and a nice surprise compared to the pre-deployment information that I would be sleeping on the ground with a role mat. The food was great with lots of spices to make dishes more appealing. However, I would love if there was more fruit because there was little to none provided.

All the staff were amazing, they were so approachable and friendly yet professional. The diving was amazing, the training and the surveys were so fun and the general vibe on camp was amazing. The only problem I had was the kit list, it had stuff on there that I didn’t need and it didn’t include the essential things like a pillow and a solar panel charger, which wasted my money. The project also gave me such a great experience of Fiji and the culture including visits to the local village for food once a week and for expeditions/ sports. Thank you to the staff on Beqa and a special shout out to flash who goes out of his way to help improve the facilities on camp and for fixing all the problems on camp with very little supplies.

Diving in Fiji

Aside from the diving which was amazing, I really enjoyed the camp atmosphere. I’ve met some brilliant people while Ive been here and was surprised how well I got on with my campmates and have come away with some friends I won’t easily forget and am quite sad to be leaving.

Just a bit more information into the background of the project on arrival which would help give some perspective to the project and it’s importance.

The camp staff were amazing

The camp staff were amazing. Always friendly and helpful. They know their science, and I learned a lot! Fiji is a beautiful location, I would like to see a stronger implementation of an educational program for the locals to coincide with the science program.

Great experience

Great experience, made better by the staff. Amazing time was had, great gateway experience into conservation and the culturre and beauty of the country.

I couldn't ask for a better staff

I couldn't ask for a better staff, dive team and research group, this group feels like family and would be welcome in my home any day. They keep a very professional but beautiful island life approach. I couldn't have taken anything more from this experience. The expectations I had were more than met, the staff was flexible and respectful and make sure for a great experience for every different type of person.

Loved every minute of it

I think what you do here is brilliant and the effort put in by you all really shows. Loved every minute of it and look forward to the next phase!

Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Navaiava

Just wanted to say thank you for all the effort you have all put in to teaching me to dive and swim. Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Navaiava.

Fantastic

The quality of dive instruction here is fantastic, and made the whole experience fun and safe. I had an awesome time and made loads of friends.

I couldn't have asked for better dive training

Couldn't have asked for better once I was actually at Naviava. The science staff were perfect and I couldn't have asked for better dive training.

The experience has affected by career choices massively!

The experience has affected by career choices massively! I am starting MEng in mechanical engineering, am most likely leaving this path to pursue a career in diving. I loved it so much, hope one day to work out there for Frontier.

I will never forget

Our week started with a 14 hour boat ride from Suva to Gau on the notorious “Sandy”. The journey was through the night so most of us got a good night’s sleep except for the unfortunately few who spent the journey with their heads over the side. If things continue the way they started this will be a 20 weeks I will never forget.

It was great

A celebrity appearance on NAVIAVIA! At the beginning of the week, Sarah, another Frontier staff from Suva, joined the family for the week. So a morning boat trip was in order for her arrival at Lovu airstrip, around 40 minutes away, which meant we could all have a stop at a snorkel site outside of the bay. We were greeted by 6 or 7 blue spotted sting rays, 2 white tipped reef shark, 2 grey reef sharks and 1 black tip! Later that day the rain hit! The river at the back of camp flooded and everyone on camp had to help dig trenches to prevent any flooding on camp. Success was rewarded with soya protein with mash and gravy (my idea!) and we just about managed to keep dry. Celebrations occurred on Saturday night as most of the Benthic Crew and the A&I Possie and myself, my brother and Nicki from the Fish Massive passed all their respective exams ready to start surveying the reefs! Entertainment provided from Colin (AKA Mr Bounty) was the main talk of the night (and the next week or so to come!) A great first half on Naviavia and looking forward to the rest of the phase!