Conservation, Community & Adventure Placements Worldwide!
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Conservation, Community & Adventure Placements Worldwide!

Camp Osita, Costa Rica

I have had a brilliant time here and would definitely stay longer if I could. I think that my position as an intern here has given me a really strong foundation for moving forward in the field of conservation. Staff were very supportive in all aspects including helping me with my own project for the Frontier Certificate, teaching me to lead surveys, data input and statistical analysis. Aside from the science I think that the camp is run very well. The communal living situation is managed excellently and runs very smoothly. The social activities are also well organised in terms of frequency and variety. I really feel that all the staff here are very dedicated and do their upmost not only to collect good scientific data but also to make camp life enjoyable for volunteers. All of this made camp an excellent place to live and I can't imagine I'll find a better place than this when I do my next project.

Amazing experience

I had an absolutely fantastic time on this Frontier project. I have seen so much Costa Rican wildlife, made so many great friends, and really challenged myself to do things outside of my comfort zone. The staff at the project were so helpful, friendly and informative. The work we were doing was so interesting, varied and inspiring. I love being outside, walking trails, and seeing inspiring views, and this project had them in abundance, everything was beautiful to look at and there was always new things to learn. I’ve loved every minute of it!!

Awesome submersion in the jungle life

Camp Osita is situated on he outskirts of the Costa Rican jungle and vastly embraces the full camping experience which proves to be an awesome experience for all, regardless of education level in conservation or experience in camping etc. The trails and surveys are both educative and enjoyable due to the beautiful surroundings and animals such as the spider monkeys! I would highly recommend this trip to anyone interested and tip: stay as long as possible! :)

Camp Osita, Costa Rica

My experience at Camp Osita has been extremely positive. I spent a month with very passionate and knowledgable researches who taught me a lot about the jungle life, which I got to appreciate deeply. I always felt I could rely on their support for every doubt or fear I had and they were always ready to get me out of difficult situations, such as getting stuck in the shower with a lovely (and also venomous) snake! Life at camp is chilled out and the nature around is just stunning, I would definitely recommend this experience to everyone who wishes to immerse in pure nature.

Not just for gap year students

When looking for a project I wanted to go with an organisation that is actually doing conservation work. At first I thought Frontier was just for gap year students but after a chat with a lovely guy at Head Office I was reassured that although the average age is mid 20s a lot of older people also do the projects. Now that I'm here it's clear that age on a project like this is irrelevant as you are all here for the same reason and on this project (Costa Rica) passion and high levels of interest make for some of the best conversations and debates I've had in years. It's truly an honour to be here sharing this experience with such a range of people. So, my recommendation is if you really want an adventure and do something great for the planet don't think twice! Pack your bags and don't look back you won't regret it!
A few things that would have enhanced my experience for sure is...get your fitness level up! Work out, sweat, get breathless and up your fitness level because the humidity and head zaps your energy and some of the best trails are killer but so worth it for that view! You truly get out what you put in. My other bit of advice is clothing choice! I spent a lot of money on good outdoor clothing which has been great but what I could have done with is a good amount of aerobic sportswear that is designed to cope and wick away the amount of sweating Costa Rica in dry season would create. I may have avoided 2 weeks of battling heat rash in areas that were unwelcome!

Costa Rica- to the willet!

This experience is one I can't begin to describe; I will have a hard time describing it to my friends. But it has been a life-changing journey and one I will never forget especially the wonderful people I've met here.

Costa Rica- I wish I had longer!

The best two weeks in a genuinely beautiful place. I never would have thought I'd look forward to waking up at 4am to go on a survey so much! Living in the jungle you feel far from civilisation but it's all part of the jungle spell and is very peaceful. Two weeks was definitely not long enough in such an incredible place!

Costa Rica- Bob on!

Overall, the experience has been something of a lifetime opportunity that can't be put into words. An effort is made by staff & volunteers alike to cover all aspects of the project from camp life to conduction of surveys. It is certainly something that will live with me for a long time not just for the experience but also for the friends I have gained along the way. I would thoroughly recommend this to anybody with a desire for conservation as despite the crazy challenges, it is worth it!

Well worth it

Being in the jungle for the last 4 weeks has been brilliant. Everyone has been friendly and welcoming and all of the trails have been really engaging. Waking up at 4.30am to go on a primate, mammal or turtle survey was always well worth it, and the A&R in the evening were always exciting. Learning about the different species and how many of them were endangered or vulnerable was really eye opening, and made the surveys seem even more important. During the 4 weeks we also had a lot of free time but there’s always something to do. Whether its jungle pong or volleyball or lounging at the beach. You’re guaranteed to have a good time.

Absolutely amazing

The last 4 weeks on this project have been absolutely amazing. Every day we conducted primate, turtle, mammal and amphibian and reptile surveys on trails through the rich Costa Rican rainforest or along the beach. Camp life is filled with activities but there is also plenty of time to relax and play cards. The staff is very supportive and helpful and there were all very passionate and engaged with the research. The camp is much more developed than I expected and in a very good state. Overall the experience has been like no other and I recommend it to anyone with an interest in animals and conservation.

Buzzing lad!!

I came to Costa Rica not knowing much about wildlife conservation. All I knew was how much I loved animals. My time in Carate was amazing. I learnt so much about the biodiversity of animals here. I’m leaving with a head full of knowledge and a head full of experiences I’ll never forget. If your passion is animals and plenty of sun, then volunteer for Frontier, you won’t regret it.

Animal health and welfare in Fiji!

My time in Fiji was an unforgettable one! I was able to work closely with clinic staff and was welcomed very warmly into the homestay. I really enjoyed exploring and getting a small insight into what life is like half way across the world. My experience working with the animals at the clinic was very hands on and was a great learning experience. Overall, it was a great experience and I hope I can return to Fiji one day!

The first few days on the project were good

The first few days on the project were good, I stayed in the separate house I was sharing with others, everyone helped settle each other in and made us feel welcome and part of the family, the frontier family. I enjoyed working with the FPCA they were lovely like a family. I would recommend to future volunteers to make sure they take lots of their own sunscreen as that is one of the more expensive items in country and also to enjoy its Fiji time, Time to chill.

I had a really lovely time

I had a really lovely time and really enjoyed myself over the first few days. The most enjoyable part of the project was working with young children teaching them it was very fulfilling I felt as though I was making a difference it made me feel better and made me a better person. I recommend for future volunteers that they be open minded have fun and don't get overwhelmed.

I absolutely loved it!

This has confirmed physiotherapy is the right route for me and will no doubt help massively with the application process.

I made really good friends with my host family and found Kenya to be a stunning country - with plenty more to explore!

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Surfs up in Portugal

I did the Portugal surf training camp for two weeks in August. It didn't work out much more expensive than if i'd done the training in the UK but of course the weather was much better and it was a good excuse to see a bit of Europe i've never been to before.
The instructors are friendly and professional and i'm definitely going to look at doing another surfing holiday next summer now i've got the surfing bug.

Cameroon teaching

I was very anxious on my trip to Cameron but was happily met by Frontier staff who took me to my accommodation and made me feel very welcome and helped me settle in and to adjust to my new environment before I started my adventure teaching. Had a lovely time on this project and would recommend it to others.

Tanzania and Fiji

I have just finished a placement on the Frontier Tanzania Marine project where I was working as a Conservation Volunteer. I applied for this position earlier this year, having been a volunteer two years ago for six months on the Fiji Marine project and loved it. I had an amazing time on both projects and honestly couldn't tell you which I liked better, which is saying something as I had thought that nothing could top my Fiji experience.

Savusa secondary school Fiji

We have just got back from our amazing trip to Vanua Levu and Taveuni. Leaving on the Saturday ferry to the first stop of Savusavu then a bus ride to a fantastic village - it was right by the beach and the kids went to get us coconuts while we watched the local rugby game at the school. We went to church, all dressed up in our sulus on the Sunday, we all introduced ourselves and sang with the choir. After the kids took us around the beach and showed us the fish, we came back to a feast! With curries and fresh prawns and grilled fish and plenty of breadfruit and dalo. On the monday we packed our bags and headed to our first school 'Savusa secondary' we took the heights and weights of the children and helped them fill in the health questionnaire. Then it was off to get a 4 hour bus ride to labasa, and our second homestay in vunivau we had a fantastic welcome, and during the 4 days we managed to survey over 5 schools and we even took the sons of the family clubbing! We were lucky enough to stay for the hair cutting ceremony of the daughter of the chief, on her second birthday. We had another feast, with Lovo and plenty of Kava, they had been pounding grog all day! The next day we packed our bags to get the bus back to Labasa to go all the way to savusavu, then we stayed with another family by the sea who cooked the most amazing cakes! And gave us loads of sandwiches for the bumpy bus journey to the point of the island – Natuvu where we caught a small boat to the garden island of Fiji, Taveuni. We went to the famous waterfall slides, and picked up a few bruises on the way down, but it was well worth it. The next day we got the bus to the stunning Tavoro waterfalls, we hiked for about an hour to reach the third, and highest waterfall. It was well worth it, diving of the rocks and into the pool was amazing, and the birds and plants were stunning.
Then we caught the Sofi ferry back home. All in all it was an amazing trip, and we all got to see so much more of Fiji.

Fiji journalism live

Working at the Fiji Sun was very different to doing a work placement at a newspaper in the U.K. After a couple of days shadowing reporters I was effectively treated as a member of staff, given my own assignments and allowed to contribute to the paper as much as I could. The editor and staff reporters were always on hand to offer any assistence that was needed with contacts, backround information, etc.As well as working on assignments I was also able to take part in a staff training program that the Sun runs for its journalists. This program which was held once a week included sessions on court reporting and working on stories involving the police. Whilst some of the procedures and laws discussed will obviously be very different in the U.K. Taking part in these sessions did offer the opportunity to hear about and discuss the various concerns that journalists, the police and other officials have in the relationships with one another.The best aspect of the placement were the assignments which allowed me to meet some of Fiji's poorer citizens, such as squatters without official homes, and to report on difficulties and struggles that these poorest people in what is still a developing country experience on a daily basis.

Bulla Bulla Fiji

I was in Fiji on the teaching program for a month and every second of it was amazing! I stayed in a home stay and I honestly didn't want to leave! To be able to see their culture first hand was special! And they welcomed me with open arms! It took a few days to adjust to the lifestyle but after that i was fine! The teaching was very daunting as they allowed me to teach independently from the word go. Once the initial fear had gone I loved every minute. The children were thrilled for me to be there and they took full advantage of asking every question they had whether it was about class work or what it is like back in England! I was included in everything both at the honestly and at the school and felt like part of the family! Definitely a once in a life time experience Nd I would recommend people to do it! Even though I was there for just a month I feel that I made a tremendous difference to my family, the school and the children I was teaching.

I've done so many incredible things

The trail was such a lovely way to immerse yourself in the local culture and the trail leader really took advantage of everything these countries had to offer, taking us to visit Mayan ruins, eat street food in local markets, go zip-lining through forest canopies, board down the most active volcano in Central America and so much more. We were also traveling with a really great group and so ended up having some really fun nights out in some of the coolest and most beautiful bars I've been to in my life.

Belize marine conservation

I had an absolutely incredible time on the project, largely due both to the amazing wildlife I was fortunate enough to encounter, and the friends I made along the way, including the fantastic staff! The island has been incredible, with friendly locals, tasty food, and a way of life I'll never forget! Go slow!

Be the change

Having been on the Teaching Project for just over 2 months, I think it's pretty safe to say it is one of the best experiences of my life. The accommodation is comfortable and clean. Transport (mainly by bicycle) is safe and easy due to Siem Reap being a tour sit friendly city. The social life aspect leaves evenings and weekends buzzing but the most substantial part is the actual volunteering. The project is linked tightly to the local community allowing an in depth experience with the Cambodian people and their culture. The Teaching Project especially provides an opportunity to really immerse into the local communities. Frontier provide ongoing support and communication whilst giving the opportunity to develop life skills and using our own initiative.

Smashing!

I volunteered in Costa Rica in July and had a fantastic experience meeting great people and seeing amazing wildlife!!! In fact I enjoyed it so much that I ended up staying longer, and I now have a position on the team!