Conservation, Community and Adventure Placements from $255
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Conservation, Community and Adventure Placements from $255

It's a rewarding sweat, trust me

When I first arrived, I'll admit I felt overwhelmed with the contrast of everyday life and camp life. But as soon as I began the surveys I adjusted much quicker. My advice is to put yourself in a position where Costa Rica can reveal its wonders, stay for longer than a week, and expect to be a new type of smelly. I had a blast being part of Frontier's Costa Rica project. Everything about this project was eye opening, and I am happy to have been part of this adventure.

Costa Rica

The whole experience was great and it was an opportunity I'm glad I took. I really enjoyed camp life, though the carb heavy diet was an issue. The surveys were fun as the area is amazing but I don't think there is enough volunteer involvement in the actual science.

A series of unfortunate events

I had an amazing time volunteering at camp osita, spending time with such passionate, knowledgeable people. Despite spending over a week with blisters I took part in sooo many turtle surveys and filled my blister-free time with every trail I could. After another few days of being ill and throwing up being stuck on camp became the norm but I still saw so much including toucans, hummingbirds, and howler monkeys on the ground! The peak has got to be daily pancakes and making mango crumble.

Jurassic park - The lost camp

Everyone at camp is really accommodating and allows you to settle in to jungle life at your own pace. There are endless opportunities to venture into the rainforest to look for such a range of diverse species. The volunteers and staff are from all walks of life but on camp everyone gets on and becomes a big family, often learning from eachothers experiences. You will definitely learn something new or see something amazing and my 2 weeks here feel like they have gone very quickly. Camp life is a bit wild and takes getting used to but is really amazing when you embrace the jungle life. As an avid meat eater I thought a veggie/vegan diet would be a struggle but I have enjoyed every single meal and it may change my habits when I return home (although I really could do with some fried chicken). The people are great, the scenery is amazing and overall camp osita is a fantastic once in a lifetime experience.

Camp Osita

I love the camp goals and visions we all wish to accomplish. I wonder how much surveys actually impact as they are conducted with constantly changing members of varying experience, interest, and skill sets. I do hope the data is fulfilling and accurate. Teaching local children English was my favorite part, and the only community engagement I saw. That was very challenging and fulfilling to me. Camp dynamic was odd when so many staff members were so commanding and bossy, which might be the way things happen here, but that can be very off-putting to new members. I met the most amazing people here though, and I hope to keep in contact with them for a long time.

Costa Rica 2018

(2 weeks Climate Change project in Costa Rica). This was a great experience! As I was able to contribute to the preservation of the natural environment. The staff is really friendly and you can meet lots of new people. I recommend it!

Camp Osita

As somemone with no background in science, let alone conservation, the project has been a fantastic experience for me. I've had such a brilliant time, learnt so much and made amazing friends. I'd definitely recommend this program to anyone wanting to try something different like living in the jungle.

Costa Rica 2018

Having minimal experience from a scientific stand point, I was educated quickly on conservation and many global issues. Sustainability ran through the camps culture. Staff always encouraged people to get involved.

Not what was promised!

We had a hugely frustrating two weeks and are still trying to resolve this now as Frontier are refusing to properly address the wide range of issues we had. From making us get the wrong visa to not having the things for us to do that we’re advertised when we paid for the trip.

Joyful living in the jungle

What more could you dream of having sun kissed beaches a 10 minute walk away, monkeys swinging from the trees above your cabin and macaws flying overhead. Any expectation I had coming into this was blown away and left me in awe. I would recommend this project which has been a once in a lifetime experience I will not forgot.

Time in the jungle

I spent 2 weeks in the jungle and could definitely have spent a few more. The wildlife is incredible and the variety of surveys is amazing. You can go on as many as you like and its a great opportunity to get to know your camp-mates. Camp is great, with so many books available to read and you'll find that you'll never get bored. The food is also delicious - I didn't miss meat once! If I weere to recommend any extra activities I would definitely say the chocolate farm. The owners are lovely and the chocolate and fruit is delicious.

Pura vda

Having never been to Costa Rica before, I feel lucky that my first visit was through Frontier. I felt safe and whenever I had any queries Sara would help. I LOVED helping teach in the schools and would have loved to have done more of that like how it said it would be online, however I realise things are aren't easy over here! (maybe rephrase project description online). The country is beautiful and I feel thankful I could help albeit in small parts. Thank you for a life changing experience :)

Camp Osita

Frontier as a company does a great job of helping people travel in a fun and safe way. Never once did I feel like I was in danger. I did Frontier's fantasy gap year program and have loved all my trips so far and I'm sure the next trip to Fiji will be just as great as the past two. The staff are truly incredible and are a big reason my overall experience was good.

Pura vida a Costa Rica story

Costa Rica was a magical place with rich culture and vast quantities of flora and fauna. I never thought I'd visit somewhere with such diverse life, the surveys conducted were both insightful and mind expanding. During my stay I have met so many truly interesting people from all walks of life and have made life long friends.

Wow

My time in Costa Rica has been absolutely amazing and there is nothing about it that I would change. Never before have I met such a kind, compassionate and caring bunch of people who so readily took me in as part of the jungle family. I wish I had stayed for longer. Saying goodbye is always difficult, but it makes it easier knowing that the friendships forged here will last a lifetime. Thank you everyone.

Camp osita Costa Rica

Coming to Camp Osita feels like one of the best decisions I have made. My expectations were exceeded in all areas. Despite only being here 3 weeks, it feels like home and the staff/volunteers feel like family. I will be very sad to part ways. The project was fantastic and I learnt tonnes of new stuff that I hope to take with me when I go to university. Not only was the project beneficial to myself, but I felt it had a very positive impact on the environment and the intricate systems that surround the camp and Carate. Some of my favorite activities included the morning turtle patrols and impromptu beach cleans. I would recommend this project to anyone who has an interest in the environment and wants to get involved in creating a positive impact as well as witness such a wide array of biodiversity.

Sun, sweat and sand

Without doubt an experience of a life time. Not only because of the incredible wild life (waking-up to howler monkeys, being surrounded by macaws and seeing big cats on the camera traps) and incredible location (between the jungle and the beach) but because of the people. The staff were helpful, passionate and caring and the volunteers were lovely and interesting.
I adored every single survey whether it be a morning walk up the beach looking for turtle nests or a hike up shady trail looking for monkeys. I have learnt so much; bird calls, mammal prints,
primate behaviors.
Life on camp itself was amazing. We lived as a little community, everyone pitched in and helped out I learnt new skills on camp too; gardening, DIY, cooking. There was never a dull moment.
All in all some of the best months of my life. To be surrounded by such beauty, while actually contributing to it's conservation is an incredible experience. I would recommend to anyone with a love of nature.

My short but sweet time volunteering Costa Rica

Even though my time as a volunteer was only a week, it was still one of the best weeks I've had. I seriously underestimated the amount and breadth of activities/project that were going on. From searching for primates to pleasant external activities such as beach volleyball, I feel I did a lot in a small space of time, as well as meeting many bubbly people.
Room for improvement would be a wider range of food, as the carb heavy meals can get a bit much after a while. The presentations could also do with being more unique and in depth. But overall I really loved the experience and would do it again but longer.

Amazing opportunity for masters dissertation in the field

I came to the Frontier jungle project in Costa Rica to do my master's dissertation and that was the best decision I have made. The wildlife and nature here are just amazing; you experience wonderful things every day. I also didn't think beforehand that this place would feel like home as much as it does now and that I would have a second family here. I can definitely recommend joining this project and staying for at least a couple of weeks.

Costa Rican rainforest wildlife

I thoroughly enjoyed my time volunteering on the Costa Rica Big Cats, Primates and Turtles project. It provides a great opportunity to experience the amazing wildlife, and every survey offers unforgettable moments. The staff and other volunteers are really welcoming, and help to promote the conservation of this fantastic location.

First time volunteering abroad

The teaching project in Costa Rica was my first experience of volunteering. I wanted to gain some insight into working in Central America and improve my Spanish. The project fully met all my expectations. The variety of activities to get involved with really took me out of my comfort zone and provided a great challenge. I have learnt about new cultures and ways of life. In particular, the recycling and environment work in Puerto Jimenez. What really made the project work, was the professionalism shown by Sara (the teaching and community project coordinator). Sara formulated an excellent week's program so I earned maximum experience. Sara was highly supportive, flexible, considerate and good fun to be with. Sara is a true ambassador for Frontier and its programs.

Mandible crested Toucan

Not only is this an incredible project that allows you to see amazing wildlife, but socially it was great too, meeting people from all walks of life. No matter how long you stay for, you won't want to leave Camp Osita, the friends, the beautiful views and even the howler monkeys waking you at 5am.

A great week!

I have really enjoyed my time volunteering this week in Tenerife! Everyone has been incredibly friendly, welcoming me as part of the family even though I am only here for a week! The staff have been helpful and I feel the trip has been well organised. I have enjoyed the variety of work I have gotten to complete this week as each day was different. I feel very lucky to have seen so many whales and dolphins! I specifically enjoyed the beach clean up as you could immediately see the impact! I would 100% recommend Frontier and this project to anyone!

Growing with the jungle

My month living and exploring the jungle and beaches of Carate were absolutely wonderful! I got to know the community of incredible people from all over the world throughout my time in Costa Rica. Though the weeks go fast, the days are so long and the steady rhythm of jungle life is so peaceful: getting up before the sun for morning turtle walks; working reading and chatting at camp in the heavy heat of the day; strolling to the beach for a sit or some sandy yoga; watching the monkeys play in the trees above; exploring a new trail at night to find amphibians, reptiles and bats; and returning home to share the day's highs and lows with the jungle crew after dinner. The opportunity to learn and grow I've had in this beautiful place is one i'll always cherish- I'm grateful for the time I've had to heal and change.

Living in the Osa

Overall I have learnt so much during my time here in Costa Rica, I feel like I have really increased my overall knowledge and gained a lot of volunteering experience. My personal highlights include seeing 4 species of Big Cats on the camera traps, seeing and studying all 4 primate species. Learning many of the bird calls and seeing a nesting olive ridley turtle and releasing baby ones at the hatchery. I have also learned how to identify many amphibians and reptiles. The people here are all very friendly and my overall experience has been amazing! Pura vida.