Conservation, Community & Adventure Placements Worldwide!
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Conservation, Community & Adventure Placements Worldwide!

Fiji Animal Project

It may have been useful to have possibly had contact with some one at the animal shelter
beforehand just to get a more rounded idea of what to expect at the shelter, but over all very
well prepared and laid out.

Both Jess and Sarah our coordinators met us at the airport and were immediately very open
and friendly and set us all at ease. They let us know everything that we needed and were just
fantastic throughout the whole orientation. Again the transfer was brilliant with the
coordinators showing us the local transport and informing us of the local area.

I thoroughly enjoyed working at the shelter and meeting the locals and seeing the different outlook
that the Fijian people have on animal welfare. I loved being involved with the local SPCA charity and got to help with a really wide range of tasks which made it a very enjoyable experience. The work was definitely worthwhile and we could see the difference that was being made from a few less jobs that were needing done. Expectations were definitely met and exceeded everything I could have hoped for.

The project and homestay were incredible with the Fijian family being amazing and so hospitable
and open. The welcoming to the family and kava was amazing. Although very basic the conditions
allowed me to see the real Fiji and experience it like the locals which I think is one of the most
valuable experiences that could be offered. Health and medical issues were dealt with brilliantly –
I had an allergic reaction and the coordinators were very accommodating and helpful, and made it
not too big a deal but that it could be treated.

I would love to return either to Fiji or to another developing country once qualified as a
vet to hopefully work in a spay and neuter clinic for a month or two, and should Frontier be able
to offer this then I would definitely consider coming back with the company.

I loved the homestay and the atmosphere at the house, as well as the project workers and
volunteers. Sarah was amazing and made the whole experience so enjoyable and I really don’t
want to leave! Everyone is so friendly and cheerful and the locals were so obliging and happy to
help with anything or answer questions.

Maybe there could be slightly more project specific information for the animal welfare project.

Overall, an amazing and a completely life-changing experience that will never be forgotten.

Turtles & big cats Costa Rica

Despite being nearly double the average age of the volunteers I have had a pleasantly memorable experience in CR. The surveys have been varied and opportunities to get involved in others and learn new things has been in abundance. The staff on the project have been very professional, welcoming and encouraging. I have been allowed to reflect on myself and met many wonderful, engaging personalities. I will certainly encourage my own children and other young people I teach to complete an experience such as this.

Climate change research project Costa Rica

My three weeks spent in Costa Rica have been absolutely amazing. I've enjoyed immersing myself in the rainforest so much and met so many wonderful people along the way. The presentations given before surveys were so interesting and helpful for when actually doing the data collection. I have learnt so much and I'm so grateful to all those who contributed to my incredible experience. Helping to build the hatchery was also great and I feel like I have physically contributed to something that will help the turtles in the future. I'm so happy to have been included in such an amazing project, I only wish I had stayed longer to enjoy it even more!

Home from home!

Camp Osita is amazing, as is the whole project! The biodiversity here is insane - you see something new every day, including pumas on camp! The living conditions seriously surprised me by how good they were. The people I met were also amazing - both staff and volunteers. This has been such an amazing experience with the best memories. Would highly recommend this project to anyone!

Once in a lifetime

The biodiversity here in Costa Rica is amazing, you can see animals from every group you can think of. Staff are extremely helpful and supportive as well as being very knowledgeable in their respective areas.

Challenging but rewarding

It has been so lovely experiencing the Costa Rican jungle first-hand and the people (mainly staff) were so caring and helpful! Being a part of this project gives the region hope and I'm grateful for that forever!

Camp osita, Costa Rica

I have had a brilliant time here and would definitely stay longer if I could. I think that my position as an intern here has given me a really strong foundation for moving forward in the field of conservation. Staff were very supportive in all aspects including helping me with my own project for the Frontier Certificate, teaching me to lead surveys, data input and statistical analysis. Aside from the science I think that the camp is run very well. The communal living situation is managed excellently and runs very smoothly. The social activities are also well organised in terms of frequency and variety. I really feel that all the staff here are very dedicated and do their upmost not only to collect good scientific data but also to make camp life enjoyable for volunteers. All of this made camp an excellent place to live and I can't imagine I'll find a better place than this when I do my next project.

Amazing experience

I had an absolutely fantastic time on this Frontier project. I have seen so much Costa Rican wildlife, made so many great friends, and really challenged myself to do things outside of my comfort zone. The staff at the project were so helpful, friendly and informative. The work we were doing was so interesting, varied and inspiring. I love being outside, walking trails, and seeing inspiring views, and this project had them in abundance, everything was beautiful to look at and there was always new things to learn. I’ve loved every minute of it!!

Awesome submersion in the jungle life

Camp Osita is situated on he outskirts of the Costa Rican jungle and vastly embraces the full camping experience which proves to be an awesome experience for all, regardless of education level in conservation or experience in camping etc. The trails and surveys are both educative and enjoyable due to the beautiful surroundings and animals such as the spider monkeys! I would highly recommend this trip to anyone interested and tip: stay as long as possible! :)

Camp Osita, Costa Rica

My experience at Camp Osita has been extremely positive. I spent a month with very passionate and knowledgable researches who taught me a lot about the jungle life, which I got to appreciate deeply. I always felt I could rely on their support for every doubt or fear I had and they were always ready to get me out of difficult situations, such as getting stuck in the shower with a lovely (and also venomous) snake! Life at camp is chilled out and the nature around is just stunning, I would definitely recommend this experience to everyone who wishes to immerse in pure nature.

Not just for gap year students

When looking for a project I wanted to go with an organisation that is actually doing conservation work. At first I thought Frontier was just for gap year students but after a chat with a lovely guy at Head Office I was reassured that although the average age is mid 20s a lot of older people also do the projects. Now that I'm here it's clear that age on a project like this is irrelevant as you are all here for the same reason and on this project (Costa Rica) passion and high levels of interest make for some of the best conversations and debates I've had in years. It's truly an honour to be here sharing this experience with such a range of people. So, my recommendation is if you really want an adventure and do something great for the planet don't think twice! Pack your bags and don't look back you won't regret it!
A few things that would have enhanced my experience for sure is...get your fitness level up! Work out, sweat, get breathless and up your fitness level because the humidity and head zaps your energy and some of the best trails are killer but so worth it for that view! You truly get out what you put in. My other bit of advice is clothing choice! I spent a lot of money on good outdoor clothing which has been great but what I could have done with is a good amount of aerobic sportswear that is designed to cope and wick away the amount of sweating Costa Rica in dry season would create. I may have avoided 2 weeks of battling heat rash in areas that were unwelcome!

Costa Rica- to the willet!

This experience is one I can't begin to describe; I will have a hard time describing it to my friends. But it has been a life-changing journey and one I will never forget especially the wonderful people I've met here.

Costa Rica- I wish I had longer!

The best two weeks in a genuinely beautiful place. I never would have thought I'd look forward to waking up at 4am to go on a survey so much! Living in the jungle you feel far from civilisation but it's all part of the jungle spell and is very peaceful. Two weeks was definitely not long enough in such an incredible place!

Costa Rica- Bob on!

Overall, the experience has been something of a lifetime opportunity that can't be put into words. An effort is made by staff & volunteers alike to cover all aspects of the project from camp life to conduction of surveys. It is certainly something that will live with me for a long time not just for the experience but also for the friends I have gained along the way. I would thoroughly recommend this to anybody with a desire for conservation as despite the crazy challenges, it is worth it!

Well worth it

Being in the jungle for the last 4 weeks has been brilliant. Everyone has been friendly and welcoming and all of the trails have been really engaging. Waking up at 4.30am to go on a primate, mammal or turtle survey was always well worth it, and the A&R in the evening were always exciting. Learning about the different species and how many of them were endangered or vulnerable was really eye opening, and made the surveys seem even more important. During the 4 weeks we also had a lot of free time but there’s always something to do. Whether its jungle pong or volleyball or lounging at the beach. You’re guaranteed to have a good time.

Absolutely amazing

The last 4 weeks on this project have been absolutely amazing. Every day we conducted primate, turtle, mammal and amphibian and reptile surveys on trails through the rich Costa Rican rainforest or along the beach. Camp life is filled with activities but there is also plenty of time to relax and play cards. The staff is very supportive and helpful and there were all very passionate and engaged with the research. The camp is much more developed than I expected and in a very good state. Overall the experience has been like no other and I recommend it to anyone with an interest in animals and conservation.

Buzzing lad!!

I came to Costa Rica not knowing much about wildlife conservation. All I knew was how much I loved animals. My time in Carate was amazing. I learnt so much about the biodiversity of animals here. I’m leaving with a head full of knowledge and a head full of experiences I’ll never forget. If your passion is animals and plenty of sun, then volunteer for Frontier, you won’t regret it.

Animal health and welfare in Fiji!

My time in Fiji was an unforgettable one! I was able to work closely with clinic staff and was welcomed very warmly into the homestay. I really enjoyed exploring and getting a small insight into what life is like half way across the world. My experience working with the animals at the clinic was very hands on and was a great learning experience. Overall, it was a great experience and I hope I can return to Fiji one day!

The first few days on the project were good

The first few days on the project were good, I stayed in the separate house I was sharing with others, everyone helped settle each other in and made us feel welcome and part of the family, the frontier family. I enjoyed working with the FPCA they were lovely like a family. I would recommend to future volunteers to make sure they take lots of their own sunscreen as that is one of the more expensive items in country and also to enjoy its Fiji time, Time to chill.

I had a really lovely time

I had a really lovely time and really enjoyed myself over the first few days. The most enjoyable part of the project was working with young children teaching them it was very fulfilling I felt as though I was making a difference it made me feel better and made me a better person. I recommend for future volunteers that they be open minded have fun and don't get overwhelmed.

I absolutely loved it!

This has confirmed physiotherapy is the right route for me and will no doubt help massively with the application process.

I made really good friends with my host family and found Kenya to be a stunning country - with plenty more to explore!

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Surfs up in Portugal

I did the Portugal surf training camp for two weeks in August. It didn't work out much more expensive than if i'd done the training in the UK but of course the weather was much better and it was a good excuse to see a bit of Europe i've never been to before.
The instructors are friendly and professional and i'm definitely going to look at doing another surfing holiday next summer now i've got the surfing bug.

Cameroon teaching

I was very anxious on my trip to Cameron but was happily met by Frontier staff who took me to my accommodation and made me feel very welcome and helped me settle in and to adjust to my new environment before I started my adventure teaching. Had a lovely time on this project and would recommend it to others.

Tanzania and Fiji

I have just finished a placement on the Frontier Tanzania Marine project where I was working as a Conservation Volunteer. I applied for this position earlier this year, having been a volunteer two years ago for six months on the Fiji Marine project and loved it. I had an amazing time on both projects and honestly couldn't tell you which I liked better, which is saying something as I had thought that nothing could top my Fiji experience.

Savusa secondary school Fiji

We have just got back from our amazing trip to Vanua Levu and Taveuni. Leaving on the Saturday ferry to the first stop of Savusavu then a bus ride to a fantastic village - it was right by the beach and the kids went to get us coconuts while we watched the local rugby game at the school. We went to church, all dressed up in our sulus on the Sunday, we all introduced ourselves and sang with the choir. After the kids took us around the beach and showed us the fish, we came back to a feast! With curries and fresh prawns and grilled fish and plenty of breadfruit and dalo. On the monday we packed our bags and headed to our first school 'Savusa secondary' we took the heights and weights of the children and helped them fill in the health questionnaire. Then it was off to get a 4 hour bus ride to labasa, and our second homestay in vunivau we had a fantastic welcome, and during the 4 days we managed to survey over 5 schools and we even took the sons of the family clubbing! We were lucky enough to stay for the hair cutting ceremony of the daughter of the chief, on her second birthday. We had another feast, with Lovo and plenty of Kava, they had been pounding grog all day! The next day we packed our bags to get the bus back to Labasa to go all the way to savusavu, then we stayed with another family by the sea who cooked the most amazing cakes! And gave us loads of sandwiches for the bumpy bus journey to the point of the island – Natuvu where we caught a small boat to the garden island of Fiji, Taveuni. We went to the famous waterfall slides, and picked up a few bruises on the way down, but it was well worth it. The next day we got the bus to the stunning Tavoro waterfalls, we hiked for about an hour to reach the third, and highest waterfall. It was well worth it, diving of the rocks and into the pool was amazing, and the birds and plants were stunning.
Then we caught the Sofi ferry back home. All in all it was an amazing trip, and we all got to see so much more of Fiji.