Conservation, Community & Adventure Placements Worldwide!
Frontier participants Frontier participants

Conservation, Community & Adventure Placements Worldwide!

Camp Osita CR

This has been the first time I have ever travelled and been out of the UK. Its been a truly amazing experience. You learn so much not only about conservation but also about yourself. You learn that you don't need half of the stuff you own, and to take every opportunity because it's never happening again. The camp itself is basic but still beautiful. You wouldn't need anything else. Nothing beats a cold shower after a long survey.
The staff are amazing! They are all lovely people and so passionate about what they are doing and clearly see it. If you ever have a problem they are easy to talk to and you know they would listen and help in any way they can. The food is beautiful, no simple rice and beans here! You work in pairs to create amazing meals with a range of veg. You learn a few recipes and definitely how to make jungle pancakes.

Scuba diving

I really enjoyed the scuba diving, and got to see a great range of marine life. I was also happy with the diversity of tasks that I got to do.

Things to improve : I thought there were too many people on camp at once, so the team wasn’t completely prepared/ facilities – like the water tanks and toilets – were always in use/busy or needed refilling.

Camp Osita Costa Rica

The past month that I have spent in Costa Rica has been an incredible experience. I have had the opportunity to do many things that I have been interested in for a long time and felt that much of the research I was doing was worthwhile. Life on camp exceeded my expectations and I found settling in really easy. I have met some fantastic people from a wide range of backgrounds and this made my first time travelling alone a great one. The four weeks have flown by and I would love to do something similar again in the future.

Camp Osita Costa Rica

The project is a great place for non-scientists as well as people with a scientific background. I found the staff to be very knowledgeable, able and willing to explain/discuss things and there is a wide range of scientific books and reading materials. Camp is located in a great place and there is an abundance of wildlife all around (as with Costa Rica in general!). And finally, the people and atmosphere on camp have made this an experience I will never forget and always cherish.

Camp Osita Costa Rica

The project provides a huge variety of experience with lots of wildlife. Personal projects can also be made. Camp life is simple, but the best! Staff are incredible, knowledgable, professional etc. A once in a lifetime experience.

Once in a lifetime

A brilliant first hand experience of wildlife conservation in a unique place. Everything from camp life, people, community work, the scientific work AND the amazing, beautiful, odd and colourful animals were magnificent.
Truly and experience that will stay in my memory forever!

Trip of a lifetime

I loved every minute of this project in Costa Rica. Being based in the rainforest was surreal, seeing the abundance of wildlife the Osa Peninsula has to offer. Gave me a great insight into conservation efforts and why it is so important. The social side was great too. I met so many great people and have made friends for life. I would highly recommend this project, truly amazing.

Week in Carate

The people at camp are wonderful and enthusiastic about conservation and the staff are particularly energetic about their research areas - it gives hope that the current and the next generation actually do care about the environment - this is rare in Australia. Our expectations were, I guess, that it would be a conservation program that was integrated within the community - in effect I'm not sure the work here contributes a huge deal to conservation outside of raising awareness - local skill in identifying and finding animals would seemingly make the data collected more relevant. I did think the turtle project was really well done.

Treasures of the jungle

My experience in the jungle of the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica, surpasses any other. I came here with no expectations and am now leaving with an immense sadness. The program has enabled me to experience things I would have never imagined. I have gained knowledge in regards to scientific methods, dealing with organisms, survey knowledge, scientific tools, and biology of animals. I am now able to leave as a trained turtle surveyor and leader of beach cleans. The community involvement has also been an aspect that has made my time so extraordinary. I was given the luxury to interact with the local school children and immerse myself in the culture. However the factor that surmounts all the others mentioned is the jungle family I have created. I have made bonds that will last for a lifetime and I look forward to what we can all do together to save our planet. I am now leaving knowing that I have a whole team of support, and that in itself is worthwhile.

Jungle teaching

The atmosphere on camp with fellow volunteers was great. Involvement with the community was great, I just wish it was more. Teaching was great, I just wish there was more of that too. The weekend activities were great and well organized by Laura.

Expectations met and exceeded

I arrived perhaps slightly apprehensive about how basic camp would be in Costa Rica, however I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was nice and so was the food. I really enjoyed the surveys and feeling like I was actively involved in the data recording. Sometimes the time in the day dragged slightly, but after this was raised with Laura she made a conscious effort to improve this and did, so I am grateful for that.

Life in the Jungle

My time in Carate (Costa Rica) with has been one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. The staff are all very knowledgeable and fantastic, surrounded by beautiful greenery and the beach and sea - I can't imagine there's anywhere else quite like it. The amount of wildlife I have been fortunate enough to see every single day, it doesn't even feel like real life. Every day I expect to wake up from this amazing dream, but even better I wake up to the sound of howler monkeys and surrounded by jungle and beams of sun. Costa Rica will always have a special place in my life and I can't recommend it enough to anyone.

• Itinerary

• Satisfaction

Journalism Internship in Buenos Aires

I had an experience which went far better that expected, I did not missed my country also because of the great organization and the amazing work there.

Personally I enjoyed being part of the local life also from a political perspective. I strongly believe it is useful to remember how things we consider part of our daily life most of the times are just goals that has to be reached by somebody else.

Travel antics in Costa Rica

My time in Costa Rica has been amazing I would recommend It to anyone! I have been here for 9 weeks and although it took a while to get into the swing of things I have realised I don't want to leave. The staff are so inviting and make the camp a home away from home. Live your life with no regrets and see the amazing flora and fauna of the Osa Peninsula. P.S. They have turtles!

Ups and downs

Ups - Camp is an interesting environment, always a full community event or everyone is quiet and having a nice bit of down time. The environment surrounding camp is intensely amazing the sounds and ongoings of the animals really create the exotic aura that is promised by Frontier.
Downs - Unfortunate events caused me to sprain my ankle. The problem with injuries is that it prevents me from doing anything as walking is a prized possession here. At certain times I wished I had never mentioned the area I live in due to stereotypes surrounding that area. Alongside this I felt belittled by certain people's personas at times. I feel due to me not being at university or having a degree I am seen as immature. Therefore judgements are made here.

The happiest two weeks of my life

I have had a fantastic time in Carate, Costa Rica. Every survey I have done has offered something different, I have seen so much in such a short space of time I am truly amazed. I have seen a female turtle laying eggs, hatchlings coming out of the sand, so many mammals including a puma! The amphibians such as tree frogs were incredible to see too. The staff are all wonderful and so friendly and I had no job fitting in and feeling comfortable. There is a fun atmosphere on camp and I love the camp itself and it’s quirks like the geckos chirping in the common room. Emma the PI has been fantastic in accommodating excursions in my short time and very easy to talk to.

Camp Osita Costa Rica

The project is as described online. The wildlife is beautiful and abundant and there is plenty to do and see. The staff is knowledgeable and energetic, with great work ethic. Overall it was a wonderful experience, the only suggestion I have is to update the kit list. For example: one towel is not enough!

A memory to last a lifetime

Coming here has given me a different insight to life for which I am so grateful for. I've learnt the true meaning of team work friendship. Being here has opened my eyes to all the ways we can save our planet and all of it's beautiful creatures and I look forward to trying my hardest to make this world what it once used to be.

Camp Osita Costa Rica

Going on this trip to Camp Osita in Costa Rica was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have met loads of amazing people and saw so much wildlife and I also learnt so much about myself in the process.

An interesting, perspective changing, low-paced adventure

In the end it was a great experience when I reflect. I struggled getting used to the living standards as I am not used to it at all. But it did eventually make me realise how fortunate I actually am and I'm definitely looking forward to the small things which have been available at all times since I was born such as meat, a washing machine, hot shower, cleaned floor at all times as well as electricity & internet connection whenever I want it. Only the 2 weeks I spent here definitely changed my perspective towards a lot of things. Also I think it is important to mention that the experience is not quite what I expected. It is very low-paced (really annoyed me in the beginning but it was nice in the end) and you can choose your daily schedule which in hindsight is a great thing, but I was not told it would be like that.

Amazing Madagascar

My experience with Frontier was amazing! I will never forget the people I met and the adventures I went on. The students were so eager to learn and treated me with such respect. The landscape was beautiful with ocean views and lovely greenery with the school right in the middle of it all. I can't wait to visit Madagascar again!

Teaching in Madagascar

I had a great time in Madagascar and made wonderful friends. The teaching experience was very rewarding and memorable. The staff members were very supportive and friendly. There was a lot of work to keep us busy, however sometimes it felt like quite a lot given that there weren't many other volunteers during the time of year I visited (March-April). Good to be kept busy though. Felt very immersed in the local culture, and made friends whom I'm still in touch with now.

Great experience (Costa Rica teaching)

I loved teaching the kids especially at Palo Seco! They were so friendly and sweet. I really enjoyed going to the macaw project and learning all about them. I'm glad that I decided to do this project because I feel like I've had a true insight into their culture and I feel like I've genuinely helped the community. The staff are all really nice and helpful on the project, however I think staff in London need to be briefed more.

The most magical place on earth

I can't believe my six weeks here are over. I will never forget this place, it has taught me so many things and Camp Osita feels like my home - I never want to leave. I've learnt more about myself, the animals and others than I ever thought possible and have made friends for life. The wildlife here never ceases to amaze me, and I feel as though I am just waking up from the most enchanting dream. I have found my place and my people, thank you Frontier!

4 weeks of happiness

Four weeks was not enough and I will always regret not staying for longer. But these four weeks are memorable because of every single person, plant, animal and bug that I came across. I miss it already and I haven't even left yet :(