China Panda Breeding Centre
Frontier participants Frontier participants

China Panda Breeding Centre

Incredible experience

It was an amazing experience, really fun range of activities and well organised team to help get you there. Very good value for money.

Areas that could be changed:
Safer transportation when actually on the project, and better accommodation at the panda centre.

With the exception of the birth of my sons, it was the single greatest event of my life

A wonderful and life changing project - I would return to the panda centre tomorrow if I could- the people in China were a delight to be with and made every effort to make me feel welcome and valued. I have adored pandas since I was a child and never thought I could get so close to them. The whole week was exhilarating, interacting with people and pandas. Close enough to feed them and I was educated in the efforts being made in China to help these fabulous animals. I feel blessed and it has ignited a desire to do it again, do more with pandas and visit more of China. I met many wonderful people and will stay in touch with them as we recall the wonderful time we had together. Our pandas Hui Mei and Lang Zi will be in my heart forever.

The only issue I had was about where to be collected when I arrived at the airport in Chengdu.

China panda breeding

Overall the experience on the China Panda Breeding project went well, but I was annoyed at having to pay extra for an airport transfer, when I was originally told that I wouldn’t have to pay for one before departing onto the project.

The project was very well run and there were lots of activities

I arrived in the country early so had a few days to relax before I met up with the others on the Panda project. We spent a couple of days with the interpreter who took us around and showed us the wilderness and the mountains. For me the experience of being on a project in a group and with the young people was much better than what I thought it would be, the project was very well run and there were lots of activities available to do in the evening if you chose to. For me the most enjoyable part of the project was being with the panders feeding them preparing the food and cleaning their area. I suggest that future volunteers make sure that they research the projects beforehand and the area and be prepared for lots of down time so I suggest you bring things with you to do. The project is not only for youngsters there is no age limit and no matter what age you are the volunteers and staff really do make you feel welcome and take you into the group.

There are so many things that I enjoyed

When I first arrived at the project it felt a bit hectic but it was great meeting people, I love the chengdu tour and visiting the panda zoo and shops getting a nice hot pot meal it was such a nice way to start the project before heading off to the panda base for the next five weeks. There are so many things that I enjoyed about the project one was meeting new people and exploring the city and doing different things and the giant Buddha was amazing. I suggest that future volunteers enjoy the culture and experience of the country and the way things are done. I also recommend that you go off-peak time as it can get very busy when there are lots of volunteers there.