Fruit Tree Mapping Inventory
FreeWildlifeBrazil Celine Header Image FreeWildlifeBrazil Celine Header Image

Fruit Tree Mapping Inventory

Three weeks in the Atlantic forest

My time at Reserva Betary has been a wonderful experience, throughout my time I have been working on the forest inventory project which has allowed me to practice various practical skills and learn a lot about the surrounding area of Iporanga and the Atlantic Forest. Only being here three weeks has meant I haven't seen a lot of the area as I would have liked to but I have still been on several excursions on weekends to caves and boya crossing on the various rivers which has been great fun! For anyone wanting to learn Portuguese this is the perfect place as many of the staff do not speak English, so you'd have plentiful time to practice. The people in the area are very friendly and make you feel at home instantly. Every weekend there is some sort of bbq happening which are great as you eat the local specialities as well as perfecting caprihana making! There has been two other volunteers here whilst I have been here which has been fun but sometimes nice to have more people around. Overall the stay was fantastic and would recommend to anyone who wants to do something different and help the environment at the same time.

Best volunteer experience ever!

IPBio is the perfect place to work! I’ve been there for 3 weeks and I really enjoy it. My job was to develop the methodology of sampling trees for forest inventories, and realize them in one of the trails of the reserve. In these days I measure and recognize the trees to know the useful properties and monitoring forest growth.
The working environment in IPBio is excellent and comfortable, surrounded by nice partners, wildlife and multiple attractions like caves, waterfalls, forests, animals, communities and rivers of the Iporanga valley.
It was an unbelievable experience that definitely left a deep impression on me.

Great experience - definitely recommended

I was here with my girlfriend, working on the tree inventory project for 2 weeks.
The facility itself is located in the very beautiful reserve in the forest, so you immediately immerse into nature.
Our project involved marking, measuring and preparing data for identification of the trees, which involves hikes around the reserve in the morning, and the processing gathered information in the afternoon.
We were also able to see projects which other volunteers were working on - like researching local frogs, luminescent mushrooms ( they are super cool! ) and audio monitoring of the forest.
Local school often arranges visits to the reserve, so you can also see yourself how IpBio is contributing to the education of local children.
One thing that I can definitely recommend is learning some Portuguese beforehand. While some members of IpBio staff speak English, so there's no problem during the stay, you will feel quite limited in communication on the way to reserve, as well as during traveling around on your own.

The staff is very helpful - they helped us to arrange interesting activities for the weekends, as well as figuring out transportation afterward and other practical questions.

I can definitely recommend this place, and I'm looking forward to checking out other centers they plan to open in Brazil ( especially in Amazonia).

Volunteering at IPBio

My volunteering experience at IPBio was limited only to 2 weeks. Despite this short period, I think I could get an idea about how the organization works and what it’s goals and values are. For me, it is important to contribute to a project with meaningful goals with well-defined project scope. My impression was that at IPBIO researchers put a lot of thought and effort into projects planning to contribute with them to exploration and sustainable future of Atlantic rainforest. The projects are often complementary to each other and therefore it is easier to see a bigger picture. Such was a project my boyfriend and me were involved in – tree inventory and monitoring. The tasks of the projects were quite straightforward and uncomplicated – marking trees, photographing bark samples, performing measurements. It was motivating to know that the end-goal of tree inventory, in this case, is to investigate the diversity of trees in order to define if this area is suitable for birds release and if yes, which fruits/seeds would be available for the birds released in this area. I enjoyed working in the forest for most of the days and processing data on rainy days.
On an especially rainy day, we came up with an idea of automation of the video processing steps for the project of a fellow volunteer. Since me and my boyfriend, both have software development background we created a script for automatic object (frog) detection in the video aiming to reduce an amount of time a person would spend on a routine operation. We both were happy that despite such an approach is new and unusual for local researchers they were open and enthusiastic to try it out. That gives quite an inspiration to look for other opportunities to automate routine parts of biological data analysis.
As for the more practical side, l think accommodation and facilities can still be improved. We were lucky to live in the main house in a separate room which was very comfortable, but I would say that the other volunteers rooms are not big enough for 8 people. We shared the kitchen with 4 other volunteers and though we enjoyed their company the kitchen is simply too small for 6 people to cook there at the same time. Hopefully this will be solved with construction of new volunteers house.
Otherwise, I would evaluate the organization and support as very good. I am especially grateful for organizing of guided visits to spectacular caves and hiking in PETAR nature park. IPBio stuff is very friendly, and though the majority of people do not speak English one still feels very welcome and included.
One last but important thing – the place itself is just beautiful, and if you enjoy nature you will be amazed by how close and rich it is here.

Great experience

IPBIO was a wonderful experience, I stayed there Two months for an internship with my school, Imran is listening and he answered all our questions, the team is very friendly and the projects are very interesting, my first mission was the tree inventory and my second mission was to build a release center at FreeWildlifeBrazil Celine.
Another factor that I loved was the multiple attractions of Iporanga valley :
- Boya cross
- Waterfalls
- Climbing
- Cananeia Beach (you can see dolphins)
- Quilombo
You could always make a BBQ with the team
I recommend to all those who want to end up facing beautiful landscapes, has all those who love nature, animals and forest.

Totally worth it!

Great experience! Meet amazing people during my stay in IPbio, Everybody is super passionate about what they do and Iporanga is a very nice place with many weekend activities to do, I had a very good time here and aiming to repeat in the future.