Communications and Fundraising
FreeWildlifeBrazil Celine Header Image FreeWildlifeBrazil Celine Header Image

Communications and Fundraising

Four golden weeks

During my semester vacations, I decided to spend a month volunteering at IPBio in Brazil! I study International Studies in The Netherlands and specialized on Latin America. Here at IPBio I helped with communications, setting up the first IPBio Newsletter. I was given a lot of freedom which enabled me to realise my own ideas and give a personal note to the newsletter. I really enjoyed my tasks and work was made easy by the really warm and supportive staff! The reserve is surrounded by stunning nature, offering many waterfalls and caves to explore and many other jungle adventures. Every weekend was fully booked with trips to these treasures. Every person that I met here, if it was another volunteer, a staff member or one of the locals, was very open and extremely nice! Although I spent most of my time sitting on the computer working on the newsletter, I also had the opportunity to work on the Tree Inventory and get out into the forest. All in all, I would definitely volunteer a second time at IPBio! I felt really welcomed, everyone seems to fully enjoy their work, and I think it’s a great opportunity to contribute to a really good cause and at the same time collecting personal experiences, if it is new language skills, insights in research work, making new friends, exploring new cultures or Mother Earth herself!

My abroad volunteer experience

I am a French engineering student and I had the chance to participate in the volunteer program at Reserve Betary for 2 months. I absolutely don’t regret having come. There are many great projects which interact in different fields related in fauna and flora. The team is welcoming and helps you in your project.
The arrival went very well, they gave me all the information necessary for this to happen as simply as possible. I came here as a volunteer coordinator, which required management and organizational skills. I also worked with other projects related to other fields, such as the amphibian and bioacoustics programs.

Moreover, many activities were organized each weekend in order to discover the surrounding regions’ many beautiful mountains, caves and waterfalls. You will have the opportunity to hike, discover and meet the locals.
I highly recommend Reserva Betary to anyone who is hesitant to participate in a volunteer program. It was a great life experience.

2 months at the Betary Reserve

I’m spending two months at the Betary Reserve helping with Communications and also doing market research and helping with maintenance on the physical reserve. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the reserve. The local town of Iporanga is small and full of friendly faces and warm people. Although I did not speak any Portuguese before coming here, I’m picking it up thanks to the weekly lessons from my wonderful teacher. Evenings are peaceful and some nights I go into town for dinner or to hang out.

On the weekends there is plenty to do if you are the adventurous type. Whether it is going on a hike, exploring caves, going to some of the local communities, camping, going to town for different events, or simply curling up with a book or movie, weekends are very enjoyable. IPBio definitely seeks to support its volunteers and I highly recommend coming here!