London Semester Study Abroad
Collage photos of FIE Collage photos of FIE

London Semester Study Abroad

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life."

When first deciding to study abroad going to London was not in my top choices. I chose to study abroad the last semester of my senior year at the University of Wisconsin-Madison so I didn't have the time to really master any foreign language and if I was going to really communicate with people efficiently I needed to go somewhere where English was a first language. London seemed far enough away from the United States and close enough to continental Europe that it could still provide me with the experience I was looking for. My expectations were exceeded upon immediately arriving in London, it is definitely a place that is underestimated until you experience it for yourself. The staff at FIE made us feel right at home and were extremely helpful to us during our stay. Our flat was located in the Kensington borough of London directly across the street from Hyde Park. It was the perfect location to fully indulge yourself in what London had to offer. The classes were located a few blocks down from where our flat was located and close enough to Imperial College where we had access to the student union. Me and a few other students were even able to join on to a few of Imperial College's club teams during our stay which made our experience even better since we were able to make long lasting friendships abroad. I would say studying abroad in London was one of the best decisions I've made in my life because not only did I learn more about British culture but I learned more about myself and what different situations I'm able to handle alone.

I want to move back

I had the time of my life doing this program. I have traveled a lot in my life already and seen a lot of great places in the world, but London is one of the places that I call home after spending a little bit more than 15 weeks there. I did not only study a new culture, but I also got to live and work in it. It's a once in a life time opportunity and I do not regret working my butt off and saving my money all summer before I went to London. I miss talking to my professors over a cup of tea or going to a beer brewery with class. You'll experience a totally different way of life with FIE.

Amazing opportunity, amazing experience

I had every intention to not participate in this program because, through my school, it cost more than I was willing to spend. However, I am glad I ultimately decided to go. The travelling by itself would have been sufficient, but the whole experience of studying abroad, using the city as my classroom and forming new relationships miles away from home was absolutely breathtaking.

One would assume that studying so far away from home during summer break would be hard, but I am not sure five weeks is enough. The city of London is expansive and phenomenal, and I am honored I was able to experience it through such an incredible program with an even more incredible staff.

FIE excelled in every thing it did for me; ease of cultural integration, travel advice, 24-hour help, etc. It was easy to see how much the staff members cared about the organization and its students. I am so glad I went on this trip, and no amount of money spent could damper this unforgettable experience.

The Semester of a Lifetime

Even though I've been out of the country previously, my time abroad in London was by far my favorite. I spent my four months exploring, visiting museums, walking the streets, and emerging myself in one of the most exciting and beautiful cities I've been to. Through my classes, I was able to learn even more about London's rich history and get a deeper understanding about the city's role within the United Kingdom. My internship allowed me to work amongst locals and with many from around the world, as well as develop my skills as a young professional. This semester gave me a deeper appreciation for diversity and the beauty of stepping outside of my comfort zone. While I traveled to different cities and countries during my semester, I continually found myself wanting to return to London to explore and experience.

The Best Four Months of My Life

While the room I was given to live in was painstakingly small and forced to fit four girls with vastly different personalities, FIE otherwise provided a location that can't be beaten, with unrivaled opportunities for its students. It was the perfect mix of the hustle of the world's greatest city, London, yet located on a rather quiet street, in arguably the safest borough of the city. It was a 15 minute walk to classes, which was conveniently across the street from a tube station, which can put you just about anywhere you want to be in London. There is very little more that can be asked for in a study away program than to be in a fast pace city, living in a top notch facility, where students feel safe and secure.

The center of the world

London is the center of the world because it has every culture imaginable.

London is incredible...FIE is not

I loved London. Absolutely 10/10 go to London. Don't go with FIE.

Housing sucked. They put 22 of us in two flats of 11 people each with one kitchen. We didn't interact with anyone from other schools or anyone from London unless we went out of our way to find them.

Classes were either great or awful. All the work was clustered around finals so we ended our trip (after doing essentially nothing the whole semester) with five essays. Grading was arbitrary, some of the teachers were just not very good, and there was no support from the FIE staff.

FIE was its own mess. They were unresponsive, didn't communicate, didn't seem to care about what we had to say, and didn't help much. If you can find another program, it might be worth doing.

• FIE: Foundation for International Education responded to this review July 26, 2017 at 3:15 AM

Dear Anonymous Lewis and Clark Student,

We’re sorry you were disappointed with your study experience in London.
    During your time with us, our staff from the Facilities Support Team, Student Life Team, and Residence Life team were all in contact to support various concerns and complaints throughout the semester and we feel these were handled swiftly and effectively.

Our housing is not purpose built, but rather converted 18th-century town homes, and our facilities in Manson Place range from large flats with large kitchens to small flats with small kitchens, as seen on our website: http://www.fie.org.uk/manson-place We hope you found the opportunity to live in a historic and listed building in such an exclusive area of London to be as exciting as we think it is!

FIE hosted students from 20 different American colleges and universities during your time here. We’re sorry you feel you were unable to meet anyone during orientation week including the welcome reception, the 13 extra-curricular activities that are open to all FIE students from all schools, or through your membership to the Imperial College Student Union. We do generally house students from the same home university together, but feel we provide various opportunities throughout the semester to meet students from around the US and the UK.

Studying in London is just as much about personal growth, problem-solving, and confidence building as it is about putting something great on your resume. We hope you found the co-curricular activities in the city to be unique and complementary to your courses. A semester with FIE is still very much a STUDY abroad program and not a ‘trip’, so we are sorry you did not feel that working throughout the semester was fair to your experience.

We’re happy you found London to be an exciting place to explore and we hope you’ll be back soon!

Sincerely,
    FIE London Team

Love London, hate the building

London was beautiful, but i hated the staff in our housing. The RA stole all of the pans, leaving us with barely anything. The cleaning ladies threw out my retainer. Oh and the night shift subs are creepy, im pretty sure one tried breaking into my room. The classes were okay. My Islam professor was incredible bias. He actually showed a video saying 9/11 was justified because of the Crusades... who does that!? It was a fun experience, but the housing staff and the housing in general was the worst part.

all doors are electronically locked

Social Life:
everywhere is expensive. Be ready to drop 10 to 15 pounds if you want to go out to a club JUST TO GET IN

My semester in London

I had an amazing time in London through my study abroad program. A few feedback points: all of the class work was concentrated around mid term and finals week. It would have been more helpful to have had the work more spread out. Also, taking classes with all other American students made it hard to get to know local British students.

FIE London Study Abroad

FIE has great staff that are always available to help in any given situation. Unfortunately, there were many problems that needed to be solved during my semester abroad that could have been avoided with more effective programing. I also wish there was more interaction with British citizens, not just some of our professors. Overall though, the city made the trip wonderful not the program.