EU Studies, European Business and IR - Spring & Fall
European Study Center (ESC) Heidelberg Header Image European Study Center (ESC) Heidelberg Header Image

EU Studies, European Business and IR - Spring & Fall

best decision ever made

Studying abroad is honestly life changing. Probably the funnest semester I've ever had. The classes were easy going which made it easier to travel. The students there were amazing and definitely became family. It didn't take long to make our new living feel like home, while the atmosphere brings so much comfort. Theres always something to do in the area, and i have never found a moment where I was bored. Overall a great experience. I felt as if i found myself, and I definitely recommend this to everyone. You would meet great people and create the best of memories. Im so happy I made the choice of studying here. Coming back is mandatory for me.

Worth it

I was raised to believe most any experience can be a good experience if you learn from it right. Study Abroad is no different. It has its ups and downs, and like it or not, it doesn't stay as romantic as it looks in brochures and travel guides. And maybe that's the best part about it. It's life. In America, we have this idea called, "The Real World", and, "getting out into it". Being independent (not necessarily alone) in another country has given me the opportunity to see that I'm in the real world. I always have been. And I learned that from riding this intercultural roller coaster. It was scary. It was difficult. It was beautiful. And, hot damn, it was worth it.

Wonderful

My study abroad experience was unlike anything I had done before. "Wonderful" a common phrase used in Germany. I had a wonderful experience studying abroad because I made life lasting friendships, opened my mind, expanded my thoughts and got to know myself better. It was wonderful because it was a constant inspiring delight where I found a greater significance in the world, inter-cultural communications, and the relationship I built with everyone I met.

Favorite semester of college

I loved studying abroad in Heidelberg! Heidelberg is as quaint as a small town but as fun as a city. There is public transportation that is extremely simple and reliable and allows students to get around. Grocery stores, restaurants, and nightlife are all a short tram ride away from the European Study Center (ESC). Germany is also a centrally located country in Europe, travelling to other countries for the weekend is manageable and affordable. Classes were interesting to me and relevant to my overall European experience while abroad. One class at the ESC was focused on the recent Migrant Crisis in Europe and as part of the class students had the opportunity to volunteer at the local refugee center (Patrick Henry Village) in Heidelberg, which was an amazingly eye-opening experience!

Best semester ever

The study abroad program at the European Study Center in Heidelberg, Germany enhanced my college experience exponentially. I found the program to be culturally enriching, mentally challenging in certain aspects, and maturing in general. The staff at the center is very nice and will help you out with any thing you could possibly imagine. They plan weekly excursions that are so fun and really bring my study abroad experience up to a new level. I know that my college experience would not even be the close to the same if I had not studied abroad at the ESC and it was one of the best decisions of my life academically, socially, and thoroughly enhanced my global perspective.

More than studying abroad

Even though study abroad programs are focused on classes and learning in a different culture, the European Study Center and all of the opportunities that came with it truly opened up my eyes about the world we live in. I left my comfort zone when leaving the U.S. but being in Heidelberg at the ESC was an amazing place to make that transition in. I was able to learn both inside and outside of the classroom and it is truly a unique and reflective experience.

Fun excursions and travel opportunities

I had a great time here. Living conditions were great, it was cheap to live here and travel, the staff was great and took us on trips. We had access to a bigger Study abroad school (SRH Heidelberg). The nightlife could have been better but it was still fine. Overall great time with great friends for great memories.

Experience of a Lifetime!

I learned that you get out of your study abroad experience what you put into it. Since I was open to new experiences and excited to explore and travel, the benefits to me became immeasurable. I experienced many wonderful places in Europe, learned a ton of history, tried great food, and much more. The friendships I made with the people I was with in Heidelberg are incredibly meaningful, and looking back, are one of the most valuable parts of this experience. I learned how to be an independent and more confident person through dealing with different scenarios traveling around Europe. It is an experience I will never forget. The European Study Center (my German residence) provided me with all of the essential tools to succeed and have a pleasant time overseas. Everyone here takes the time to make sure all of your accommodations and concerns are met.

A Semester Abroad

There is something humbling about stepping off of an airplane and suddenly becoming illiterate. Every experience is new, and the situations that one may encounter help define who you are. Studying abroad in Heidelberg was filled with such situations. From trying to order food entirely in German, to navigating public transportation. I never felt unwelcome, or unsafe when staying in Heidelberg. The classes were not unnecessarily difficult, yet still challenged me to think. The scheduling of classes allowed for time to travel, or to just hang around the city and mingle with other students and people. It was an incredible experience, and words alone cannot do it justice. I wouldn't trade the friendships that I forged, or the experiences that I made for anything in the world.

Lovely Heidelberg

Housing is amazing, this historical gem is very homely compared to those tacky student dorms you normally find. Beautiful neighborhood, even more lovely city. Offers optional daily German lessons downstairs with an addition to other electives. Staff is friendly and helpful, rooms are acceptably furnished, kitchens are hectic at times but it all works out. The classes offered here I happened to take had competent professors who enjoyed teaching their topic. My only concern was the lack in diversity, predominantly Americans.

• European Study Center (ESC) Heidelberg responded to this review December 04, 2015 at 1:56 AM

Thank you for your feedback, Ivan. The ESC semester program continues to grow, so we expect a higher diversity, soon. Next semester, we are happy to also welcome students from Mexico. Besides, we highly encourage our students to take at least one course at our local partner university, the SRH University Heidelberg. Being enrolled at SRH gives you the opportunity to also get immersed in the German student culture.

Best time studying in Heidelberg!

Studying abroad in general has given me a travel bug. I love experiencing new cultures and sights and Heidelberg, Germany was a great location for this. I will say though that I hope one day (soon) I come back to Heidelberg. Living here for the past few months have been amazing and I've made so many memories with new friends and got to experience some of the most delicious food ever.

European Study Center

Fall 2015 I had the pleasure of studying abroad in Heidelberg, Germany and staying at the European Study center for 4 months. It is a beautiful place to live, the house is huge! The coordinators find multiple ways to get you into the German culture and help you adjust to their way of life. The staff is always available and will help you with anything you could possibly need. I loved it!

Good Semester

Program had guidance, but allowed the students a good amount of independence. Amazing living situation and friendly peers. Only wish I had more of an opportunity to meet/live with German students, but there are opportunities to do so while in Heidelberg.