Journalism Internship, Southern India
ELI volunteers bathing the elephants ELI volunteers bathing the elephants

Journalism Internship, Southern India

Great for enthusiastic writers and solo travelers

ELI Abroad allowed me to dive into the fast-paced world of journalism all while experiencing the unique and dynamic culture of South India.

This is not a group program, and it's not likely that you'll be with other volunteers but for an independent traveler like myself, it can be incredibly rewarding. Having that solo experience really helped me in discovering South India and gave me more time to spend with my Indian co-workers.

The writing aspect was even more hands on than I expected. As a recent high school graduate, I had very little writing experience, but I still was included in the weekly meetings and invited to pitch ideas. I worked mostly online, monitoring social media platforms and publishing short articles, but I was also delegated to do phone interviews, experience pieces and food reviews that were published in the print magazine. I was sent out independently in assignments in the heart of Chennai within the first month of my internship.

I would highly recommend this program to gap yeat students looking to build their resume or writers that want to experience journalism from a different point of view.

Overall a meaningful and rewarding experience.