Teach at a Buddhist Monastery
ELI volunteers bathing the elephants ELI volunteers bathing the elephants

Teach at a Buddhist Monastery

One week left!

Namaste! My name is Bailey Miller. I am a senior at the University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire studying Communication Sciences and Disorders and Teaching English as a Foreign Language. I am currently volunteering through Experiential Learning International (ELI) in Kathmandu, Nepal for 4 weeks. I have two placements- one in the Child Development Center (CDC) and the other in a local monastery. I just completed my third week and, sadly, only have one more to go. I’d love to take this opportunity to share with you my experience here in Kathmandu up to this point.

I spend Mondays and Fridays at the CDC, which is actually the lower level of a Kathmandu public school. I alternate between a 2-4 year old classroom and a 5-6 year old classroom. I collaborate and assist teachers in focusing on developmental milestones, play skills, hygiene, and teaching basic English. The children are energetic, loving, and hard working. As the CDC is part of a public school, I see children from all types of backgrounds. It is a very humbling and rewarding experience. It has allowed me to reflect on the value of education and revived my passion for working with others.

From Tuesday through Thursday, I additionally teach English to 25-30 students at a local monastery. The students are Buddhist monks between the ages of 8-16 years. The monastery, among many other aspects of this country, has exposed me to a completely different culture. I have become a more open minded individual. It is a guarantee that the students have taught me just as much, if not more, than I have taught them.

I am beyond thankful for the opportunity to spend time in Kathmandu. The ELI team has been an integral part of my journey in discovering ideal placements and has acted as a knowledgeable and reliable resource. I have developed great relationships with local Nepalese people and obtained an extremely valuable and fulfilling experience.

Nepal is a truly beautiful and fascinating country. The streets hustle and bustle with the noise of the city, yet people are patient and giving with their time and resources. Nepal has a history far beyond any I have experienced which takes the shape of beautiful stupas and temples. The food is (of course) fantastic and the other volunteers in our volunteer house are just as willing and excited to experience the city together. I wish I could stay in Kathmandu longer. One week left!