Public Health & Physical Therapy in Cape Town
ELI volunteers bathing the elephants ELI volunteers bathing the elephants

Public Health & Physical Therapy in Cape Town

Location

South Africa: Cape Town

Program Summary

TB/HIV/AIDS:
South Africa is suffering from one of the worst TB/HIV/AIDS epidemics in the world. In 2006 the South African Department of Health estimated that 29.1% of pregnant women were living with HIV. ELI is currently filling positions in education, research and treatment. These programs require a minimum two month time commitment. In an effort to prevent the spread of HIV (especially in young female populations) and to counter misinformation and discrimination, HIV outreach volunteers work in teams with professionals who conduct health education campaigns at local schools, focusing on lower economic areas of Cape Town. Volunteers work in teams to create and present material, answer students' questions, spend time with the children, research, and assist with administrative aspects of the campaign. Volunteers with a background in public health research can assist at the university, where numerous studies are underway to better understand the correlation between TB and HIV/AIDS and treatment ...

Public health internship in Cape Town

I spent an amazing semester in SA where I interned with a famous Public Health professor. I assisted in her data gathering, went with her to an international conference (she invited me) and even co-authored a paper which will be published and presented at a major professional gathering. I lived in a group home with other volunteers and interns. There were about 7 of us, from the US, South America and Europe. We hung out a lot in the evenings and did stuff together on weekends. I highly recommend ELI, tons of support and really cool programs. Other people did construction, engineering, teaching and an animal program. I came home with a ton of experience, tons of materials for my thesis, and a LOR from a big person in the field. So much more than I hoped for.

Notice: Our website and its third party tools use cookies, which are used to manage, monitor, and track usage to improve our website's services. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to the use of cookies, please refer to our cookie policy.

By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link, or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree and consent to our use of cookies.