Microfinance in Uganda
ELI volunteers bathing the elephants ELI volunteers bathing the elephants

Microfinance in Uganda

It definitely met my expectations

I worked with the Malongo Integrated SACCO Society Ltd in Iganga. Upon arrival, Michael Kaidhiwa who was my in-country coordinator, was very accommodating and helpful during my stay, he took me through the current situation of microfinance in Uganda, and more detailed about the Iganga area. He was very kind, and also oriented me about what possibilities I had available in my spare time, and what places I should travel in the weekends.

On a typical day I spend most time doing research for the SACCO, and doing so from the local Musana Sol View cafe, which I found to be a great study environment. Now and then I went on field trips with the loan officer, to first and foremost get loan repayments, but also later to do interviews about the SACCO's members' relationships with the SACCO. And at least once a week I discussed my research and ideas for future changes in the SACCO with the manager. It definitely met my expectations, and has been truly educating. The only problem was if I was working with the same topic for too long, to a degree where it became too trivial, in which case it was easy to get my mind off it with a field trip or a simple change of topic until I was ready to get back.

I lived with the Kaidhiwa family, who was a truly friendly and hospitable host family, and I don't think I could have possible asked for any more in terms of accommodation.

The ELI Portal was definitely effective in helping me with the application process, I found it working exactly to fit the needs. My program adviser, Kevin O'Neill was very helpful and was always available whenever I had any questions. Its just that I found the application process pragmatic to say the least. It was easy because of the guidelines and the available assistance, but a little complicated in my case because I never made a whole resume and such before.