Study and Intern at EARTH University in Costa Rica
EARTH University Header Image EARTH University Header Image

Study and Intern at EARTH University in Costa Rica

Tackling Environmental Issues

This class was very fun and informational! The professors were so friendly and helpful, and knew so much about their field. It was very refreshing to have a class structured in a low-stress environment, since it emphasized actually learning the information.
The trips to Tarcoles River and Isla Tortuga were amazing experiences that I will never forget. Irene did a wonderful job at explaining all the environmental issues we were seeing first-hand, and it was so eye-opening to witness the problems I am studying happening in real life. There was a perfect balance of work and recreation tied into the trips and the course, which I really appreciated.
The trips around the campus areas did seem a little long, however (though they were informational.) I might have liked to split up the organic farm tour into maybe 2 days.
Overall, I had a great experience learning at EARTH University!

Insightful Oppurtunity

This study abroad program is a great experience for students who have little experience with studying abroad. The academic model that Earth University follows not only allows for hands-on, but encourages students to think in ways that are not typical of a classroom. This immersive study abroad experience gives students the opportunity to live, dine, and study like an Earth student while learning Costa Rican culture.

Amazing.

I really enjoyed my stay here, the diversity is substantial and the sense of community made it feel all that much better. From the beautiful greenery, to the amazing wildlife, the staff is great and very welcoming. the food is great and the students are extremely welcoming, they never leaver you out and make the effort to approach you to make you feel at home. I speak Spanish so I had no trouble with the language barrier, for other students it might have been some problems but it was not too much of a big deal.

PURA VIDA

My time in Costa Rica was amazing. Irene, Jane, Ricardo and Luis made this one of the best experiences of my life. I was able to meet people from all over the world and learn more spanish! High school taught me a lot that I got to use here and that was great. Living in the dorms was a culture-shock experience but it was nice to see all that EARTH does for other countries by educating their youth to providing resources for the locals.

Good program, friendly people, hands on learning

at EARTH you will have the opportunity to see lots of biodiversity, engage with students from over 40 countries, and see various methods of sustainable energy and waste. EARTH has a pool, small gym, cafeteria, game room, river to swim in, banana packing plants, cows, pigs, and so much more. Everyone you meet here will be friendly and inviting. They are accomdating to dietary restrictions and the staff are all very friendly. The campus is overall very ecofriendly and clean. However, be prepared for bugs, lots of rice and beans, heat, rain, and no hot water! EARTH is a great school!!

Facilities engineering major at Massachusetts Maritime Academy

Had a great time with great people. I learned more in two weeks than I learned all my first semester. Luis and Recardo are funny kind hearted people that made the trip what it was; fantastic! I enjoyed all activities on the trip but my favorite activity we did was river tubing. I didn't expect to be dropping 6 feet into class three rapids. I expected a lazy river type of deal. I was pleasantly surprised at how legitimately cool and invigorating tubing was.

Costa Rica 2018

This was a very good learning experience for everyone who went. I personally had a lot of fun meeting people at Earth University and all of the help from Ricardo and Luis. They are what made this trip so enjoyable and what kept it all together.

Study and intern at Earth University Costa Rica

Overall, I thought this trip was very fun. Luis and Ricardo did an amazing job with all the planning and hard work they put in. Not only that but I made a lot of great memories over the past two weeks!

Massachusetts Maritime Academy

Trip was awesome. Earth did an amazing job in setting everything up. I learned a lot and had fun doing it. Earth University is a great school and created a fantastic experience. They made sure that everyone's needs were met and that we got fully immersed in Costa Rican culture.

Life changing

This study abroad experience was very knowledgeable and eye opening. Not only did we learn about sustainability but we lived it while on campus and through hands on activities. We had fun adventures like snorkeling in the open ocean and crocodile/ bird sighting.

• EARTH University responded to this review July 17, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Thanks for the great review, Elizabeth! A lot of love and hard work goes into study abroad programs, so we’re glad you enjoyed the experience, specially with the cocodrile part! and remember, you are always welcome in our campus :)

Study abroad: tackling environmental issues

I would recommend this course to anyone who is looking for deep cultural emersion and a hands on, short term course. The course mostly deals with waste management so if you are interested in that or in calculations of carbon emissions this is a good course for you.

• EARTH University responded to this review July 17, 2017 at 8:41 AM

Hi Janelle! Thanks for your amazing review in our Tackling Environmental course, you are always welcome to come back to EARTH University!

Tackling environmental issues course

I really enjoyed taking this course at EARTH for two weeks. It applied things learned in the classroom to the real-world through hands-on activities and a weekend field trip. Although I really enjoyed the class, think it could be improved by adding another component to the curriculum involving an environmental issue and adding another weekend field trip that complies to it.

• EARTH University responded to this review July 17, 2017 at 8:49 AM

Hi Jack! Thank you for your amazing review of Tackling Environmental Issues course, adding an extra environmental issue is a great idea on your side, we will for sure try to fit this on our next 2018 course!

All of our courses are based on our main driver "learning by doing" and we are happy that you have experience and lived this!

If you have more comments or questions just let us know :)

Environmental awareness

Wonderful program!!! Campus is gorgeous and students are friendly. Come prepared to make friends and learn about the environment at EARTH. The only negative aspect about this campus is that is very isolated.

• EARTH University responded to this review July 17, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Thanks for the great review, Our campus has students with 25 nationalities and we all love to make new friends, specially in meal time, don't you agree? this is a perfect added value with the overall academic experience :)

Also, as you say, our campus is a little bit isolated, but it is compensated with our big forest, our amazing river and the abundant wildlife of monkeys, sloths and many other animals, which is a perfect experience and opportunity to connect with nature.

If you have more comments just let us know, we will love to hear them out!

Tackling environmental issues course

I really enjoyed the field trips associated with this course by in general the course curriculum didn't seem relevant to my internship. Overall I'm very glad I experienced this course and met some of the students in the class. Ricardo was amazingly helpful as well!

• EARTH University responded to this review July 17, 2017 at 9:14 AM

Hi Sarah!

Thank you for your review, we are also glad that you have a wonderful experience despite the curriculum was not relevant to you, we will keep working to make it better.

On the other hand we also think Ricardo (our group assistant) is amazing! Thank you for your feedback!

Awesome experience

Overall, we accomplished a lot through hands on and lecture based classes. I just wish we had more of a chance with interacting outside of the university and getting to visit more places. However, my complaints are lacking besides the bugs and small things that you eventually get used to.

Engaging rural communities

This course provides an incredible immersion experience into the culture and economic issues of rural communities in Costa Rica. Students in this program get to learn from three professors with different viewpoints and backgrounds, giving the course material a unique and realistic twist. A beautiful experience.

EARTH engaging rural communities consortium

EARTH is a great learning experience. This program provides intellectual and personal development through one-on-one interaction with knowledgeable professors who are there to support you. There is much cultural learning involved in the program as well embedded in field trips and opportunities to connect with other students on campus. A great experience.

Study abroad in Costa Rica

My time in Costa Rica has been an excellent experience. My expectations for this program were exceeded due to the fact that I was able to see and experience many different destinations within the Costa Rican countryside as well as the various agronomic systems used by Costa Rican producers. Spending time with the Earth students and completing a home stay helped immerse me into the culture and get a sense of what it means to be Costa Rican. All in all, I would highly recommend this program to anyone wanting an amazing study abroad experience. Pura Vida!

Physical exploration of Costa Rica`s agriculture

This program was very unique, the fieldwork was really helpful, working with the Earth university students was a great experience. I appreciate this program and would recommend to people in a horticulture field. There is NO free time, leaving out bodies tired and malnourished, sitting in the car for extensive hours was hard physically and mentally made us tired. I am glad we got to see all of Costa Rica, so I would not change that, but allow the student to know beforehand and choose closer places. Overall very cool experience! Also the amount of girls was too much. Since I came half way through the program, everyone was already friends. It would be nice to know to take either the first two programs or the last two consecutively. Coming halfway through a program made me feel unconnected/unwelcome by my peers as they were already friends and I was an outsider coming in.

Making agriculture sustainable

This was an amazing, immersive cultural experience in which we learned first-hand what it means to practice sustainable agriculture in Costa Rica's competitive economy. While learning about crops and culture, we also learned Spanish and professional skills we can take back to the workplace.

Sustainable agriculture

Overall my experience has been one of the best educational experiences I've had. Although, some summer courses are short, lots of information is shared. The professors and TA's will be very helpful along the way. I enjoyed the small group experience of my course. There were many field trips and activities outside of campus as well as on campus that connected us with the community in Costa Rica and students at Earth. My favorite experience of my course was the homestay opportunity where students stayed with a family in CR for four days.

Consortium 1 Review 2017

This program was excellent. It got us up close and personal with much of the agriculture in Costa Rica, conventional and sustainable so we could compare the two. EARTH has so many connections with alumni that enable us to tour so many places and learn from the experts firsthand. We also had a homestay that allowed us to live like a typical Costa Rican family.

My study abroad experience

My study abroad experience at Earth University in Costa Rica was a humbling trip. I was hesitant when signing up for the trip because I am majoring in International Studies and did not think there would be a correlation with the course. I went into the class, unsure and anxious about the activities and learning. Through the integration of lectures and off campus trips, I learned a lot about controversies surrounding sustainable practices and ways in which it affects climate policies. I am now aware of the relationship between both fields. I am grateful for the experiences, the opportunity to immerse myself in a different culture while improving my Spanish and the wonderful people I met along the way. Costa Rica's motto truly represents the people and their way of life. Pura Vida!

Foods, water and energy systems in Costa Rica

This program was one of the best experiences in my life. Just being able to witness these renewable technologies already implemented into a country's infrastructure inspired me to work harder than ever to bring such technologies back to the U.S. All of the field trips and activities were so well-organized, and there was a perfect balance of organized activities and free time to explore and choose what we wanted to do. Not only did I gain practical skills and critical-thinking skills about renewable energy systems, but I gained an appreciation of things that cannot be put into words. For example, our excursion to Roots sustainable farm filled me up with such a positive energy and made me able to have hope for a better future. Everyone here was so friendly and willing to answer any questions I might have. ¡Pura vida!

Proud to have attended EARTH

EARTH was a wonderful experience with very knowledgeable and helpful professors, students, and staff. I felt very welcome among the EARTH community and the campus was very beautiful and impressively sustainable. Learning about using waste as a commodity and understanding the importance of sustainable farm practices helped inspire me to bring the knowledge home and help improve my community and country's environmental standards. I will never forget my experience here, and am so thankful to have formulated such close bonds with my peers through our passion for sustainability.