Study and Intern at EARTH University in Costa Rica
EARTH University Header Image EARTH University Header Image

Study and Intern at EARTH University in Costa Rica

Life changing

This study abroad experience was very knowledgeable and eye opening. Not only did we learn about sustainability but we lived it while on campus and through hands on activities. We had fun adventures like snorkeling in the open ocean and crocodile/ bird sighting.

• EARTH University responded to this review July 17, 2017 at 8:34 AM

Thanks for the great review, Elizabeth! A lot of love and hard work goes into study abroad programs, so we’re glad you enjoyed the experience, specially with the cocodrile part! and remember, you are always welcome in our campus :)

Sustainable agriculture

Overall my experience has been one of the best educational experiences I've had. Although, some summer courses are short, lots of information is shared. The professors and TA's will be very helpful along the way. I enjoyed the small group experience of my course. There were many field trips and activities outside of campus as well as on campus that connected us with the community in Costa Rica and students at Earth. My favorite experience of my course was the homestay opportunity where students stayed with a family in CR for four days.

Foods, water and energy systems in Costa Rica

This program was one of the best experiences in my life. Just being able to witness these renewable technologies already implemented into a country's infrastructure inspired me to work harder than ever to bring such technologies back to the U.S. All of the field trips and activities were so well-organized, and there was a perfect balance of organized activities and free time to explore and choose what we wanted to do. Not only did I gain practical skills and critical-thinking skills about renewable energy systems, but I gained an appreciation of things that cannot be put into words. For example, our excursion to Roots sustainable farm filled me up with such a positive energy and made me able to have hope for a better future. Everyone here was so friendly and willing to answer any questions I might have. ¡Pura vida!

Proud to have attended EARTH

EARTH was a wonderful experience with very knowledgeable and helpful professors, students, and staff. I felt very welcome among the EARTH community and the campus was very beautiful and impressively sustainable. Learning about using waste as a commodity and understanding the importance of sustainable farm practices helped inspire me to bring the knowledge home and help improve my community and country's environmental standards. I will never forget my experience here, and am so thankful to have formulated such close bonds with my peers through our passion for sustainability.

Wolverines Experience the Pure (and remarkably sustainable) Life

From the moment I stepped out of the airport and met Ricardo (who would be our TA) and Ronald (our driver for the first half of our trip), I knew that my time in Costa Rica with EARTH was going to be a profound and positive experience. Both of them welcomed us with open arms and smiling faces, which was particularly nice for me as a first time international traveler. From there, the experience only improved with each passing day. Throughout our cohort`s time at EARTH, we were pleased to be received so warmly by the faculty, the students, and the various folks who provided us tours of the facilities that we visited. We had the opportunity to visit a hydroelectric project, a wind park, a geothermal plant, several agricultural operations, as well as many of the myriad projects that EARTH is executing at its two campuses. Between the education opportunities, we also participated in cultural events with EARTH students (we learned a traditional Rwandan dance and got to speak with students taking English class) and with the community (visited a small organic/sustainable farm and learned about an indigenous community in the Guanacaste region by practicing their traditional clay-making). We also, of course, had several beach days to enjoy ourselves, unwind, and experience the happy and relaxed lifestyle that draws so many to Costa Rica. All the while, we were getting to know each other, growing, and taking the time to get to know EARTH students and staff, who were equally as curious and interested us as we were in them. In everything we did, the staff and students at EARTH took the time to teach us, listen to us, answer our questions, and share their stories. Our TA, Ricardo, will always hold a special place in our hearts as he did everything possible to help us when we were in need, facilitate engaging activities, and, simply, made sure that we were having the best time possible. If you are looking for an immersive, intense, informative, and enjoyable study abroad experience, then Costa Rica is the country to do it in and EARTH University the school to provide it. I will never forget my time here and cannot wait to implement what I learned back home in the United States. This will be a country and a university community I will visit and be a part of for the rest of my life. ¡Pura Vida!

Food, Energy, and Water Systems in Costa Rica

This was a very fun course. I learned so much about the culture and sustainability, and I have a newfound love for the tropics. Every single professor was incredibly smart and knowledgeable on the topics they presented to us. I can´t wait to go back and test out the new things I learned for home, and I look forward to sharing my new knowledge with people in my country. I will treasure all the people I have met through this program for the rest of my life, and I feel like I have made lasting friendships. If anyone is in any doubt about coming to EARTH University, then they should definitely come. This has been absolutely the best experience. Our TA was amazing and was a huge part in making the trip as great as it was. Even though I am sad to have to leave, I am glad I made the decision to come here. If I had to go back and do it again, I definitely would.

Best experience ever!!

This study abroad program has proved to be extremely beneficial to me. I´ve loved every single activity I've participated in and all of the people I´ve met. All of the professors that we had an excursion or visit with were extremely knowledgeable in their respective topics of interest and I´ve learned a lot from each. The most amazing part was getting to know the students from Earth and learning more about them and their experiences at Earth. This has been an amazing experience and I would have loved to have stayed longer!!!

Food, Energy & Water Systems

My program studied abroad for three weeks at Guacimo and La Flor campus. We had a tremendous experience fueled by the incredible hospitality we received everywhere we went. Earth University catered to all of our needs, allowed us to experience so many amazing hands-on activities and welcomed us into their culture with open arms. This was the experience of a lifetime.

Tropical rainforest carbon management summer program

It was a wonderful experience taking this class and being in Costa Rica. I was accommodated nicely and the field trips and class were more informative and fun than I could've imagined. I am so glad that I participated in this class and had such a great teacher, TA, and campus to live at during the process.

Summer study abroad

Going to Costa Rica for this summer study abroad was not just an amazing experience, but was a life changing experience. The experience that I had there was on of the most rewarding trips I have ever taken. EARTH helped in the experience being so great.
At EARTH, I feel they provided the best for us. The classes that we were able to take were amazing and the teachers were so knowledgeable about the topics that they were teaching. Along with learning in the classroom, we were able to go outside the classroom and get the hands on experience that allowed you to connect more with what you learned and with the people of Costa Rica. EARTH has a lot to of offer when you stay on the campus, they have so many different sports and activities. The other part that made this trip great were the people that I was able to meet when I was there. The teachers connected with us on a personal level, the students loved getting to know us and learn things from us, and the RA that was assigned to our group and the stuff in the study abroad office made the trip much more enjoyable. With all of these people it make the trip fly by and made all of us feel like we were at home instead of us feeling out of place. At one point on the trip, my friend and I were talking about how we're just wanted to go home and by "home" we meant EARTH campus.
I would highly recommend traveling abroad to Costa Rica and participating in a program that EARTH has to offer. It has provided me with a different look at the world and has allowed me to make some great connects and some new friends.

Relearning the Earth at EARTH University

EARTH University is an amazing institution that brings students from vastly different countries, climates and cultures. They provide an all inclusive education of agriculture, the environment, and what it really means to be sustainable. A literal hot (humid) bed of learning, EARTH University is a shining example for the rest of academia.

Awesome experience

Overall, we accomplished a lot through hands on and lecture based classes. I just wish we had more of a chance with interacting outside of the university and getting to visit more places. However, my complaints are lacking besides the bugs and small things that you eventually get used to.

Engaging rural communities

This course provides an incredible immersion experience into the culture and economic issues of rural communities in Costa Rica. Students in this program get to learn from three professors with different viewpoints and backgrounds, giving the course material a unique and realistic twist. A beautiful experience.

EARTH engaging rural communities consortium

EARTH is a great learning experience. This program provides intellectual and personal development through one-on-one interaction with knowledgeable professors who are there to support you. There is much cultural learning involved in the program as well embedded in field trips and opportunities to connect with other students on campus. A great experience.

Study abroad in Costa Rica

My time in Costa Rica has been an excellent experience. My expectations for this program were exceeded due to the fact that I was able to see and experience many different destinations within the Costa Rican countryside as well as the various agronomic systems used by Costa Rican producers. Spending time with the Earth students and completing a home stay helped immerse me into the culture and get a sense of what it means to be Costa Rican. All in all, I would highly recommend this program to anyone wanting an amazing study abroad experience. Pura Vida!

Physical exploration of Costa Rica`s agriculture

This program was very unique, the fieldwork was really helpful, working with the Earth university students was a great experience. I appreciate this program and would recommend to people in a horticulture field. There is NO free time, leaving out bodies tired and malnourished, sitting in the car for extensive hours was hard physically and mentally made us tired. I am glad we got to see all of Costa Rica, so I would not change that, but allow the student to know beforehand and choose closer places. Overall very cool experience! Also the amount of girls was too much. Since I came half way through the program, everyone was already friends. It would be nice to know to take either the first two programs or the last two consecutively. Coming halfway through a program made me feel unconnected/unwelcome by my peers as they were already friends and I was an outsider coming in.

Making agriculture sustainable

This was an amazing, immersive cultural experience in which we learned first-hand what it means to practice sustainable agriculture in Costa Rica's competitive economy. While learning about crops and culture, we also learned Spanish and professional skills we can take back to the workplace.

Consortium 1 Review 2017

This program was excellent. It got us up close and personal with much of the agriculture in Costa Rica, conventional and sustainable so we could compare the two. EARTH has so many connections with alumni that enable us to tour so many places and learn from the experts firsthand. We also had a homestay that allowed us to live like a typical Costa Rican family.

My study abroad experience

My study abroad experience at Earth University in Costa Rica was a humbling trip. I was hesitant when signing up for the trip because I am majoring in International Studies and did not think there would be a correlation with the course. I went into the class, unsure and anxious about the activities and learning. Through the integration of lectures and off campus trips, I learned a lot about controversies surrounding sustainable practices and ways in which it affects climate policies. I am now aware of the relationship between both fields. I am grateful for the experiences, the opportunity to immerse myself in a different culture while improving my Spanish and the wonderful people I met along the way. Costa Rica's motto truly represents the people and their way of life. Pura Vida!

Food energy water systems

This is spoken as trip leader- I was really thankful that I had to spent almost no time in making arrangements for activities. That allowed me to concentrate in preparation for the course lectures which I had to do at the last minute because of changes in our program. I have always had to have more direct involvement in organizing and planning daily activities when I have had to do similar programs at other locations in the past.
Although adjustments had to be made to daily programs, it was not difficult to adapt my schedule to meet these changes.
Most activities were useful to the students and were interesting to my wife as well.
The University of Michigan is seriously considering to continue this program in the future and I will be asked to provide my evaluation related to that decision. I will recommend that they remain engaged with EARTH University. Depending on what their future considerations are, I would definitely consider to organize another program like this next year

Food, Energy, and Water Systems at EARTH University

This program was an amazing experience! EARTH University is a wonderful organization, and the community was so welcoming and generous to us. There was so much to see and learn from right on campus and throughout Costa Rica. Facility and farm tours really helped put renewable energy systems, farming techniques, and other sustainability topics into perspective and provided valuable hands-on experience. The people were so friendly and kind, and the food was amazing (rice and beans for every meal)! Administratively, the program was very smooth and gave us enough free time to interact with students and have a lot of fun. I feel lucky to have participated!

Consortium program at EARTH University

Even though I am only halfway through the course, all I can say is that so far it has been great. If you are like me, an American coming from a fairly comfortable lifestyle, there are things that you will have to get used to (such as bugs, humidity, and lack of air conditioning or hot water). But it is all SO WORTH IT.

Through this program, you get the opportunity to explore the forests and farms of Costa Rica, as well as the opportunity to interact with students at EARTH and spend time on campus. There are lectures and group assignments, but these only contribute to your learning through the experiences of touring the diverse ecosystems and cultures in the country. Everything that you learn ties together, and the teachers and teaching assistants are so nice and excited for you to learn.

I really enjoy how small our class is, we have had a lot of time to bond and get to know each other. It would definitely help you to know Spanish before coming, but if you don't there are lots of people who are willing to assist you. Overall, it's a great course and you definitely get out of it what you put in. I would recommend it to anyone interested in sustainability.

EARTH summer study abroad program

The summer program at EARTH University exceeded my expectations for academic and cultural immersion. The curriculum was rightly focused on the field of sustainable development and ecological conservation and challenged students to think from solution-based perspectives at the levels of both international policy formation and local grassroots action. The diversity among the University's faculty and student body promoted an open-minded learning environment and I personally experienced positive changes in my perceptions of environmental issues and my general worldview. I appreciate the genuine enthusiasm held by the dedicated staff at EARTH University and would definitely recommend the program to anyone interested!

Tackling environmental issues course

I really enjoyed taking this course at EARTH for two weeks. It applied things learned in the classroom to the real-world through hands-on activities and a weekend field trip. Although I really enjoyed the class, think it could be improved by adding another component to the curriculum involving an environmental issue and adding another weekend field trip that complies to it.

• EARTH University responded to this review July 17, 2017 at 8:49 AM

Hi Jack! Thank you for your amazing review of Tackling Environmental Issues course, adding an extra environmental issue is a great idea on your side, we will for sure try to fit this on our next 2018 course!

All of our courses are based on our main driver "learning by doing" and we are happy that you have experience and lived this!

If you have more comments or questions just let us know :)

Environmental awareness

Wonderful program!!! Campus is gorgeous and students are friendly. Come prepared to make friends and learn about the environment at EARTH. The only negative aspect about this campus is that is very isolated.

• EARTH University responded to this review July 17, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Thanks for the great review, Our campus has students with 25 nationalities and we all love to make new friends, specially in meal time, don't you agree? this is a perfect added value with the overall academic experience :)

Also, as you say, our campus is a little bit isolated, but it is compensated with our big forest, our amazing river and the abundant wildlife of monkeys, sloths and many other animals, which is a perfect experience and opportunity to connect with nature.

If you have more comments just let us know, we will love to hear them out!