Medical Shadowing in Neurosurgery in English
Study and Intern in Medicine Study and Intern in Medicine

Medical Shadowing in Neurosurgery in English

Perfect program in the most beautiful city in the world

I have spent the most wonderful 4 weeks placement in Motol hospital in Prague. I definitely intend on going back. I rotated between ER, Neurosurgery, Anesthesiology and ICU, and Nuclear medicine.
We went on excursions to the children's heart center, Spinal Cord Unit and other departments; it was great exposure. We also had lectures about different topics. The doctors are keen to teach and explain. I got to attend amazing surgeries like endoscopic third ventriculostomy procedure and brain tumor removals. The surgeons would explain to me while they were operating which is super cool and really helped me understand what was going on. Shadowing Anesthesiologists exposed me to all types of surgeries and helped me put my clinical and theoretical knowledge into practice.
One of my favorite excursions was to the infectious diseases unit, I got to see drug abusers with recurrent infective endocarditis, some were operate-able others were not, learnt about their managements and treatments. As a 5th year medical student it was an amazing experience to get to see a different environment and health system to the one I’m used to. The program is extremely beneficial and very well organized. The program manager Barbora was very involved in my day and she tried to make everything as easy and enjoyable as possible. She would check up on me when I wasn't feeling well and help me out if I needed anything. She’s so sweet. It was great to have someone facilitate the elective, something that I didn't find in any other program or hospital. And I could really tell she cares about the students and passionate about her job; as were most of doctors I shadowed.
I would recommend any student to pick CHP for their elective. My advise to you is to pick a department that you're familiar with, something you've taken on your clinical rotation or to at least get familiar with the subject before going, it will really help you revise and the information will just stick to your head. Unfortunately thats not what I did and its something that I regret the most. It would've helped me a lot with my current exams lol But since Prague is such a beautiful city, I found myself spending all my time after the hospital exploring every corner and meeting the nicest people.

My first acquaintance with traveling abroad alone and the clinical workfield, a beautiful memory!

After finishing my third year at med school, I thought it was time to have a better idea of how the clinical work field really looks like and expand my practical experiences. In Belgium there are not so many options to gain clinical experience and it's even harder to get allowed in the OR.
Because I'm really interested in neurosurgery I was looking for a placement where I could get the chance to attend a surgery. After a long search I found the CHP program and initially I couldn't believe my eyes; this program offers exactly what I was searching for and moreover in the lovely city Prague! Now, after the experience, I can conclude the CHP program definitely fulfilled all my expectations! Everyone was always so helpful and kind. From every mentor I met during my placement at the hospital I learned so much! I could ask them plenty of questions and they were always so kind to explain everything to me. It was also a pleasure to see how passionate the neurosurgeons work together with the other doctors and the nursing team and how dedicated they all are! To me they are an example of how I want to be as a doctor one day. Last but not least I want to mention the wonderful work the program manager, Barbora, is doing. She will always be the first one to help you with any issue. Thanks to her devotion to the program, she is giving us a great opportunity!!

Perfect shadowing experience

I will never forget the first time when I saw the brain tumor removal. It was a life changing experience that provided me with excitement for pursuing the career in neurosurgery. I chose the neurosurgery placement with Czech Hospital Placements Program to discover if this path is the right choice for me. I felt so nervous on my first day in the departments when doctor Blaha picked me up. I read about him that he was working in the US and Australia so we had something to chat about from the first moment on. I wish I would spent there another week and see the Cardiovacular surgery placement as other students were really excited about it as well. Overall the experience is very well planned. The staff, the accommodation and leisure time activities were perfect. All of the people I met in the hospital were friendly and helpful. Prague and the little cafés all around the city were a perfect place to have a rest. I enjoyed my week so much I only wish I could have stayed longer. But I decided to come back and stay in touch with my mentors and new friends I've met.