Award-winning Shanghai, Shenzhen & Beijing Internships
CRCC Asia CRCC Asia

Award-winning Shanghai, Shenzhen & Beijing Internships

Internships in Shanghai

My experience in Shanghai with CRCC Asia is one I am very grateful for. The opportunity to live and work in a culture so vastly different than my own is one that very few people get to experience. Not only have I boosted my employability but also my life experience. The memories made are some that will last a lifetime as they were once in a lifetime.

Internship program- Beijing

Being immersed in Beijing for two months was certainly a challenge and having been to China before it prepared me for the experience. During my time there I had the opportunity to travel outside Beijing to the city of Qing Dao and this was great time to relax after the two months.

The CRCC Asia program was great, they placed me in a international division of a marketing company. The company had a Chinese and International team. I worked in the International team. The accommodation was very good due to it's convenient location as there were many restaurants, cafe's and bars.

The staff was very friendly and this made the program less stress-free. The networking provided with new opportunities me opened more doors back home in London and I would highly recommend the program for one who is looking to widen their network and gain more experience.

My intern experience

The internship was amazing! It really was a brilliant way to get a feel for a tough work environment that's quite different to the UK. It gave me a lot of transferable skills and I had the best time and made some awesome new friends!! The social life in Beijing is fantastic as they really pride themselves on going out in groups either personally or professionally and it's a great way to interact and meet new people.

Devils in Beijing: My summer in Beijing

Being in Beijing was an incredible experience, compounded by the awesome non-governmental organization I worked with, Beijing Youth International Culture and Arts Association. The program CRCC Asia helped to coordinate was a phenomenal experience and absolutely something I would recommend to others. It was my first time abroad and it went beyond smoothly. Though the work was not necessarily what I was interested in (we couldn't find a human rights internship unfortunately) the work I did was nonetheless important in supporting low-income communities. I worked at the main office and created a comprehensive list of museums across the world for my organization to use in promoting globalized art and cultural artifacts. I also went in twice a week to a special needs primary school in Eastern Beijing, which was such a wholesome experience.

Overall, CRCC Asia did an excellent job at supporting our internships, our network-building, and providing a great experience abroad.

Marketing intern in Shanghai!

Working as a marketing intern for Haizol I quickly began to see where my personal strengths and weaknesses lie. After turning in assignment after assignment I would keep getting the similar positive feedback from my manager. This has helped me achieve a sense of self-actualization as I had quickly identified my constant short-comings when looking for feedback on any piece of work I produced for the company. Being the only westerner working for Haizol it had forced me to practise my Chinese speaking as most of my colleagues spoke little or no English whatsoever. As I continue to further develop my command of Mandarin at university this year I feel like I have seen a significant improvement on the quality of Chinese I can produce for my lecturer to assess. This is due to spending two months in China being immersed in the lovely culture and people in Shanghai. All the knowledge I gained in China is directly translatable to all of my subjects back home as I can further understand how to best approach the many obstacles I face throughout the year.

CRCC Internship Shenzhen

I cannot to speak highly enough of my experience this past summer in Shenzhen with CRCC. The program will have benefits specific to each person that takes part, but for me it has allowed me to match my ambition to reality. To have the capacity to work in different cultures than that of my own has always been an ambition of mine. So I consider myself extremely privileged to have had the opportunity at such an early age, to do so. Not only that but to have that experience in a country as central to the worlds future as China and a city as exciting and awe inspiring as Shenzhen is something I intend to make the most of. The people I have been exposed to and interacted with as part of the program will provide me the platform to do this. True experience wouldn’t be what it is without the people at CRCC however. The friendly, approachable and professional nature of the whole team that looked after us and guided us created the perfect environment to make the most of what was and is an all-round fantastic experience and opportunity.

The Perfect Beijing Experience

Studying abroad in China for this 41 year old non-traditional student and mother of three was about the most adventurous thing I've ever done. CRCC made seamless a process that I would not have been able to navigate on my own. From guidance with the visa application, to perfectly located accommodations in Beijing, and an internship that couldn't have been a better match for my education - it all came together perfectly.

For my internship, I was placed at a nonprofit social enterprise that assisted women in escaping human trafficking in Beijing. I performed in-depth and important research for the company while also having the opportunity to work side-by-side the victims. CRCC's placement at this organization was the perfect fit for my concentration areas of sociology and gender/women's studies at Arizona State University.

The CRCC Beijing staff also provided excellent guidance to navigating our new surroundings; were readily accessible when needed; and coordinated meaningful and fun adventures for our group. This was a trip and experience of a lifetime for me and I couldn't have done it without CRCC.

Best 3 months of my Life

When I first came home and told Mum that I discovered a program that takes you to China, finds you an internship, and looks after you for 3 months, she said to me: ‘go and apply right now before you change your mind, or you’ll regret it,’ and I am so glad that I listened because it was the best thing I’ve ever done.

CRCC Asia did an amazing job with everything from accommodation to finding an internship that was perfect for me. The staff in Beijing were friendly, organised, and always just a WeChat message away when we needed. They organised social events like Karaoke, Laser Tag and Bowling, and also trips to Tianjin and Xi’an where we saw the legendary Terracotta Army.

All in all, living in Beijing taught me many things and I would consider returning here to live and work. I got to go be a tourist on the weekends and an intern during the week. My top recommendation while in China is to eat as many different dishes as you can, there is so much good food to be had, for very little money too.

Although I went to Beijing in Winter (absolutely freezing), I had the most amazing time. I got to meet some really great people from all over the world through CRCC Asia and my workplace. CRCC Asia is a great opportunity for both living and working in another country, but also enhancing one’s resume and professional network.

Best month of my life

Would seriously recommend CRCC. They made the whole experience so easy. I have met so many amazing friends from all over the world that I'm going to miss so much. The CRCC staff are so helpful and would respond to my emails instantly if I needed anything. They hosted so many great events and activities, my favourite being KTV. I have loved living in China and would definitely return.

Building relationships in a new industry

I had the opportunity to work at a renowned start-up in 3D printing through CRCC Asia. I was able to develop prototypes in a fabrication laboratory using Fused Deposition Modelling (FDM) 3D Printers, Chocolate 3D Printers, and Laser Cutters. In a short amount of time, I was connected to people who were passionate about shaping the new industry from architects, designers, engineers, to executive chefs. Having worked on practical projects, I was able to contribute in a meaningful way to the team and develop sector knowledge in additive manufacturing.

The CRCC Asia team in Beijing made settling in China stress-free. The accommodation was located in a convenient area that had essential facilities. We were given a thorough induction on the first day, where we also received registered sim cards and metro cards. Our business seminar was a day trip to Tianjin, where we visited two major food and beverage factories. While we came from different countries, everyone participating in the program was friendly and helpful.

I highly recommend the program, especially if you want a taste of living and working in a new country. China is in a unique position because it is becoming the next global economic leader. CRCC Asia has a wide network and can help you find experience in an industry that might be uncommon in your home country. I’m still in touch with the people I have met, even though we are all in different countries. It’s a great way to gain work experience and widen your network.

So much more than just Internship

I have had the opportunity to participate in the internship program in Shenzhen, China. Unfortunately, I decided to do only 4 weeks program hoping it would be more than enough. But this is the first stage I would advise people on to stay as long as you want or at least as long as you can afford. China is a great place to go because it has so much to offer whether you want to work there or travel.
My internship experience with CRCC Asia was amazing, I met a lot of interesting people from different backgrounds, I was lucky to work for one of the biggest law firms in China and get to know the working environment and ethics in general. Shenzhen in particular is a place of new opportunities and there is so much happening at the same time. It is a very busy place but at the same time it gives you the feeling that you can do anything you want. Whatever field you want to work in, whether you want to get an experience in the area of your studies or you just want to try something new I believe that China is the place to do so because there is so much about it that makes it special.

Great overall experience- that I still think about today!

Having spent two years as an investment banking analyst in London- I had come to the conclusion a career in finance wasn't for me, so I decided to look at all possible options of a 'career reset'. Upon doing some research I came across CRCC Asia and the opportunities they offered for guaranteed internships.

I felt this was the perfect chance to try a marketing role- despite having no previous understanding or experience in the industry- and also to add an international dimension to my CV. During my initial advising telephone conversation, I outlined a long-standing interest in the airline industry and the advisor mentioned they had just secured a partnership with airline host company and that I could be put forward for a possible internship in their marketing department.

The entire process was professionally handled, and whilst I was made aware they were no guarantees with that specific company- it was great to know that CRCC Asia would ensure I was placed in one of my sectors of choice. It completely eradicates the most stressful aspect of job-hunting- the process of finding and applying for jobs!

About 4 weeks before going to China, I was informed I had successfully been placed at the aforementioned airline- and it happened to be Virgin Atlantic! I was extremely impressed by the strong placement and the fact it was also within the marketing team (as per my first choice).

When I arrived in Shanghai- it was for the Feb 2013 intake- so there were fewer participants than the summer- but if anything this made the experience even more rewarding as all of us got to know each other a lot more and became a very close knit group. In total there were about 15 participants - mainly from the UK, Australia, and the US.

Socially, the experience was unbelievable. Outside of work, the group went out at the weekends, explored the city, took day-trips to Hangzhou and Suzhou, and generally become inseparable. Everyone has their own personality, but the best thing is that everyone is like-minded. We had all given up jobs/studies in our home country to come half way around the world to explore a new and different culture! And fundamentally this made it such a joy to spend two months with people who to this day (4 years on) I still consider many of them my close friends (our 'China crew' still has it's dedicated WhatsApp group- and we still meet up regularly to remember the experience - and the oh so many stories!)

On a professional basis, the experience was equally rewarding for me as I was given an insight into the variety of projects and campaigns the Virgin team were involved in. During my 2 months, I was involved in several Virgin- sponsored events including the Shanghai F1 Grand Prix, Shanghai Fashion Show, and James Bond Skyfall Exhibition (where I got to meet the Bond producers!). From the event-management side, I was also given the project of organising a dedicated Scottish-themed event for 50 of Virgin's agency clients to launch its new routes to Aberdeen/Glasgow- the autonomy of this project had me sourcing suppliers, venue, arranging the actual on-the-day logistics, and working the London marketing team to ensure relevant PR. Alongside this, I was exposed to day-to-day implementation tasks for Virgin's high profile 'Flying in the Face of The Ordinary' campaign- whereby I learnt how digital and physical marketing channels were tailored to a Chinese audience. In addition my time at Virgin coincided with the airlines 'April Fool's' PR prank- whereby the airline claimed to have developed a 'glass bottom' plane- and my manager was responsible for launching the PR aspect of this in China which got picked up by CCTV and reported as a genuine news story - thus generating worldwide attention! Overall the work experience was invaluable in terms of its insight and the fact I got a glimpse of the various marketing strands of a major organisation.

Throughout the program, CRCC Asia also organised various events for us - notably a KTV and dumpling-making session, which to this day my friends and I still talk about! Whilst I needed to rely on the CRCC Asia team for support- I always felt they were there and available if I ever required them. The communication on the ground between the team and the participants was clear but not overbearing- which meant participants still had a sense of independence without feeling patronised.

Overall, I cannot speak highly enough about the experience. For some, the biggest issue will be the funding concerns- which is totally understandable, but if you can secure the funds it's such a great experience - socially and professionally- it's something you will never regret.

How can this program be improved?
The only improvement I would suggest is actually the post-program aspect. Having had a such a great experience I was keen to share this with others, and also meet other participants on the program, but so far the opportunities to do so have been limited.

Professionally enriching!

I had some interest in China before heading out on the CRCC Asia internship program so I was prepared for the cultural aspect of the program. However, before going on the Program, I did not have any relevant work experience. Although I had previously interviewed for some jobs, and although employers were impressed with my academics and my achievements (hence getting to interview stage), I lacked sector specific knowledge and I could not provide specific examples.

However, my internship at a top international law firm gave me lots of exposure to partners and counsel across China and the globe. I was able to get involved in quite high-level projects such as drafting non-disclosure agreements and other contractual documents. I also worked closely with the Shanghai and Hong Kong office to draft briefing to clients on the commercial implications of the Cyber Security Law. This was a great addition to my TC applications and this kind of international work experience in China is always a great conversation starter!

I would therefore highly recommend CRCC Asia as they provide a fantastic experience including business seminars and cultural events. It was also really nice to get to know the staff who work in China - they are all really nice and very supportive. It's great that they pick you up from the airport, get to know you at banquets and networking events, and are always available on WeChat! I feel the whole process from initial application to post-internships support has made me a much more confident person this has certainly made my TC applications really stand out! Thank you!