Environment & Sustainable Development Internships
Connect-123 Internship & Volunteer Programs participants doing a jump shot Connect-123 Internship & Volunteer Programs participants doing a jump shot

Environment & Sustainable Development Internships

Spring in Dublin

Living abroad is a liberating experience. Once I stepped off the plane and onto Irish soil, the world grew a little bit smaller. I had never traveled alone before, and the idea of living without any of the comforts of my familiar life was daunting. That is where Connect-123 made life easy. Nikki, my program coordinator, helped me establish the essentials (housing, phone, connections, etc…). I quickly grew comfortable and started to travel throughout Ireland and Europe, experiencing some of the world’s greatest sights, sounds, and tastes. Dublin truly is an international city, and I met people from around the world looking to travel, learn English, study, and work. At my internship, I contributed to a project that reduces agricultural wastes, and was even able to tour a site that converts wastes to energy. This experience helped me to grow into a more confident and independent person and exposed me to new people, ideas, and ways of life.

Environmental Science/Engineering Internship in Dublin

"What to say about my experience in Dublin? Honestly, I was scared to write this testimonial because it isn't possible to convey in words how magical my summer was.
Upon my arrival in Dublin, I was nervous: what would my roommates be like? Would my job be hard? Too easy? How is the food? Would I get homesick?-- All of the questions you'd imagine having in a new country, I had.
My worries quickly vanished. The people I met while living at UCD accommodation are now some of my dearest friends. We explored together, ate together, drank together, and laughed together every single day. Being in a foreign city can be intimidating, but when you're surrounded by people going through the same experience, strong bonds form and nothing is scary anymore.
My internship connected me with people from around the world, and everyone was very welcoming. I walked through one of the world's most beautiful universities every day, and I worked on science that I was truly interested in. It gave me valuable work experience that now feeds my success back at school.
The community I joined when I embarked on my Connect-123 journey is a community of adventure. When adventurous people come together, lasting friendships are sure to be made. That is exactly what happened for me.
Dublin will always hold a special, golden place in my heart.”