CCIS: London--Kingston University
College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) Header Image College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS) Header Image

CCIS: London--Kingston University

Awesome

I had an amazing time at Kingston University! ! It was a once in a lifetime experience!! I met great people and loved being able to jump on a train any time I wanted to go into London. There was a lot to do to actually get there and a lot of money was spent, but I would do it all over in a heart beat!!

Wonderful experiences with an okay program.

First of all, London is absolutely amazing! Get up in the mornings and spend time exploring the city and all that it has to offer. There is so much to do, see, and experience. I had a fantastic time in Surbiton, Kingston, and London and made some great memories.

The Summer School program was alright in my opinion. A large percentage of the students that attend the program are Americans, so if you want to be completely immersed in the British culture with other British students pick a different program. It's all up to personal preference. Something else that I noticed was that a group of people were more interested in drinking and partying in Surbiton or Kingston than going out and exploring London. Again, that is a personal preference. I was over 21, so the ability to legally drink was nothing new. I spent most of my time with a few close friends, or by myself, exploring Central London. The museums, shops, restaurants, markets, and parks are amazing! Other than that, the accommodations and everything else was great. My class was also very interesting. (I suggest only taking one class, so you have time to explore. If you take two, you are in class 5 days a week instead of 2 or 3.)

There are a few other things I wish I knew before I left. DO NOT pack too much. You will go shopping and can buy whatever you have forgotten. However, pack for all weather (cold, rain, sunny, and hot) and pack some nicer clothes. Londoners dress a little bit nicer than most Americans. Also, you will need cash, but get a credit card that doesn't charge international fees. They take credit cards almost everywhere, and then you'll avoid all those extra international and exchange fees. (If you have a chip and pin card that is fantastic, but a majority of places also take swipe.) Go on extra trips. Try new things. Spend money on tours, a show, and whatever else you enjoy. You're there, so why not. Enjoy the short time that you have in Europe. It will go by fast!

England is Always a Good Idea

I decided to study abroad at Kingston University for a month during the summer after my sophomore year. It was the perfect length of time, in my opinion, and a great location. It was a great way to immerse myself in a different culture without being in a country where I did not speak the language. For the most part, the professors do a great job with balancing in-class lectures with outside excursions. The program hosts a variety of social events to make sure students get to know one another. Also, when I went, there were optional weekend trips to Paris, Ireland, or Scotland that you could sign up for. I would definitely recommend taking advantage of those opportunities since I greatly enjoyed the Ireland and Paris trips, and heard great things about the Scotland one. It was really easy to commute around the city since the program includes a 1-month travel card. It was intimidating and overwhelming at first, but it was surprisingly easy to learn how to use. The only struggle was being responsible for your own meals as there was no meal plan. Overall, it was one of the best experiences of my life and I learned more about the world and myself than I ever could have imagined.

Experience of a life time

My program through Montana State was exceptional. I saw things that I have only read about in my history textbook, and every moment left me in awe. My councilors were amazingly supportive and understanding, and my university teachers were amazing and new-minded. I loved it, and I would recommend this to all of my friends.

AMAZING

If your thinking about studying abroad the only answer i can give you is take the chance because you will not regret it. Kingston University was one of the greatest experiences of my life and there isn't a day that goes by that i don't miss it. Between the city, culture, food, people, school, shopping and much more it is sure to be the greatest trip you will ever go on. I am so happy i took the plunge and went to study abroad because i have the greatest memories and stories to tell for the future.

Life changing

How do you sum up the experience of a life time? Having the chance to travel somewhere, and not only visit but live there and experience the country, learn so many things, meet so many people is the greatest thing I can ask for. So glad I took this trip.

Life-changing

I had many reservations about visiting a foreign country for so long. Looking back I can't believe I ever hesitated. I stayed in London and it was my first time in Europe. I'm not going to lie, the school work was a challenge, especially because they grade differently than in the US. But the friends I made, the experiences we shared, and the time we spent together have truly changed the way I view life and how I want to spend the rest of it. My advice: stay in the halls, not a lodging. All the friends I made were English and a few of them I will be friends with for life. Such an amazing experience

Great Study Abroad Experience

This is the type of program for people who want to enjoy London. The program offers many excursions around London such as seeing a play. The professors at the university are welcoming and do care about the success of their students.

London Review

My study abroad was incredible. The time I spent in London was packed with historical knowledge and content, as well a modern day world view that is unparalleled. The academic aspect is also very intricate and was everything one would expect from a British School. I was incredibly satisfied and wish I could go again.

London Review

Indescribably Life Chaning

There isn't, nor do I think there will ever be, and experience in my life that would amount to this one. Studying abroad in London was above all the best decision I ever decided to make. I loved my stay, I loved the people I met, and more then anything I'm ready to go back- and I've only been home for a month. From the start Montana State University helped me more then my home university had in getting me through the process, from the moment I started until the moment I took off to London, they guided me and helped me. From the airport, I was greeted by welcoming Kingston University Staff. Despite my nerves and my lack of knowledge in my unknown surroundings, I made it to the dorms and was left on my own. My classes were decent, they definitely related to my major, though slightly repetitive.

Honestly, the experience is what you make it and who you decide to surround yourself with. I personally went with the more British friends, lack of American friends route, which in the end left me with unforgettable experiences and a place to always go back to whenever I want. If you go in with an open mind, a thrill for adventure, and just jump in with all you've got. If I could do anything differently it would be to have extended my stay- it was literally the best experience of my life- so if you're given the opportunity.. TAKE IT!

Great Experience in London

Although the first few weeks at Kingston were a little rough, it ended up being a great experience. The university is not in central London, but transportation into the city is easy. Kingston and the surrounding towns offer many restaurants and shopping, but it should be kept in mind that this is not a major city. The university is on different campuses, so walking or talking the bus is a necessity. The classes were interesting, but definitely a change from classes in the US. If given the chance I would do this program again.

A Great Introduction to Studying Abroad!

My experience at Kingston University gave me so much incentive to go abroad again. I think this program is perfect for someone like me who does not have a lot of time to study abroad during their undergrad career but still want a taste of the experience. I was able to see so much despite my short time in London. My classes included a lot of field trips (it seemed like about half of the class sessions were field trips) so I did not feel like they intruded on my time abroad. My only complaint is the location of the student housing the program includes. It made getting to attractions in London very difficult as there was about a 20 minute walk to the train station (and it took an additional 20 minutes to get to the nearest tube station in London).

Amazing

I had a great experience and wouldn't have changed anything. I experienced so many things that helped me grow and learn!

I had an amazing experience through the CCIS Kingston Summer program!

Kingston Summer School was an amazing experience. I met a ton of people from all over, and made some very strong friendships. I learned a lot about myself on this program, and definitely grew as an independent person. I was able to see parts of the world that I have always dreamed of seeing, and every single day was a new adventure holding new opportunities. I wouldn't change my experience for anything.

Experience

You should visit because there is lots to learn and lots of fun optional trips. The staff treated me nice and I would go again if there was the option.

Absolutely Incredible

Everything about Kingston University's Summer Abroad program was well put together, easy to do, fun, and filled with learning about true English culture. I loved the staff and learned so much about the world in my month abroad at Kingston! And my calves got super sculpted too!

A semester that will ultimately change your life.

The CCIS Kingston University program had ultimately change my life through the education and new everlasting friendships. It was a fantastic to way to travel abroad for the first time. I truly recommend this program to anyone.

Studying Theatre in London

I really loved my experience in London and I am very grateful that I took the opportunity to study abroad there. The class I took was Live Theatre with Patsy Trench. She is an amazing professor, and the class was a perfect mixture of watching theatre productions, class discussions, lectures, and group activities. There is so much to see and do in London when you have free time, and the people there are very friendly and willing to help out if you need it.

A program that was exceptionally designed.

I thought that the organization set out by the program was beyond what I had expected. The quality and design of this study abroad experience made me feel right at home a student who had never been abroad before.

Best Summer of my life.

I had one of the best experiences of my life at Kingston University. The faculty was amazing, the trips were awesome, and the experience as a whole was so much fun.

The best decision I've ever made was to take part in this program!

It was the most intellectually stimulating and culturally expanding experience I've ever taken part in. Not only did I take classes with great professors and get to travel, I also made so many friends whom I hope to keep forever. I would definitely recommend the program to all.

CCIS good, Kingston bad

CCIS did a very good job of keeping in touch with me and helping me with organizing and such, however, Kingston University is very, very disorganized and needs to figure out how to communicate with each other and make talking to staff easier. For internationals students, they should be more flexible and understanding to each individuals situation.

Great experience

Overall, my experience of CCIS was great. My advisor for the program was extremely helpful and was always easy to get in contact with if I had any questions. The program always seemed very organized and helpful with any issues that might of proceeded though the semester abroad. Overall , I enjoyed my experience abroad and CCIS was a huge part of that.

Incredible study abroad program

Really good study abroad program in England with amazing professors and staff. This program will give you the chance and knowledge to learn more about the british life and culture.