Summer Abroad in Dublin
Classport  Header Image Classport  Header Image

Summer Abroad in Dublin

Summer abroad in Dublin

I took part in Classport’s Summer Abroad in Dublin the summer before my senior year and it was definitely an experience that I would do again and recommend to everyone. I enrolled in two courses for credit while in Dublin: Irish History and a research course with Dr. Kilroy.

Prior to this study abroad experience, I had taken an Irish history course so I was worried that there would be a lot of overlap. However, while pursuing Irish History in further depth in Dublin, I was able to see the effect of the events that I was studying and go to the locations that I had read about in my text. There really is nothing like being able to visit and see historical sites like Dublin Castle, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the Trinity College Library, and Kilmainham Gaol.

The research that I did with Dr. Kilroy was also an unforgettable experience. I was able to access a number of historical archives in places such as Ireland’s National Archives and the archives at Trinity College. I was able to learn a valuable lesson in primary source research as well as explore my passion for public history and archival research.

While this trip was definitely a benefit academically, I also had a lot of fun and had a really great time. After the class session and on weekends, there was ample time to explore Dublin and travel around Ireland. Short trips from Dublin to Scotland, Paris, or Amsterdam are doable and common. I have always had an interest in visiting the sites of London and was able to do so on a weekend trip.

The Classport program really served as a pivotal moment for me. I imagine that the beneficial effects of this program will remain with me for life, as not only did this program help me to decide a career path, but it also created a deep love of traveling.

Awesome experience

I loved this program. There was never a day that I felt was wasted. Not only are there built-in excursions, but you plan additional events/adventures with your peer mentor and friends you make within the program. You don't have to spend all your time in a pub either. Dublin has a lot of night life. Get friendly with the Dublin Bus! You'll be on it a lot, but it has free wifi!

The classes offered are also pretty fun. They understand you want to be exploring Ireland and only expect a fair amount of work. The history course has a lot of built-in explorations, more than the mythology and film class. Personally, I took the mythology and film class and loved both. The mythology class is really interesting if you like to reflect on modern traditions built upon past beliefs. A lot of Ireland has pieces of its past. You will be reading a lot, but they are short and can be completed within your bus ride home. The film class is great for those of you that like watching new movies. The professor tries to give you movies that fit your personal interests. If you say you like romance, he wont give you an action movie.

As for costs, it is well worth it. For the total cost, you get insurance, tuition, two meals a day, housing, transportation within Dublin and to planned excursions, excursions, a group 'tour guide' (you'll have a sort of peer leader from Ireland that will help you plan and tell you what you should see), and you get a great experience. Personally, I only spent around 800 while in Ireland for five weeks. That includes food, A LOT of clothes shopping (Penney's is a must), gifts for family, and travel to spend a weekend in Dingle, see the Cliffs of Moher, go to hot tourists spots (Guinness/Jameson factor, Book of Kells, etc), and beer. Travel on a TIGHT budget is possible. This trip is perfect for someone who wants to travel, but likes to have the safety of a structure to fall back on.

For those of you who are more adventurous, Ireland is really easy to travel within. There are so many cheap and fun things to do while in Ireland, don't be afraid to venture out of Dublin. You can travel by train for low costs and stay in a hostel. You can also travel out of Dublin on your weekends. Airfare is very cheap from Ireland to Scotland, Amsterdam, or even Paris.

P.S. Bring warm clothes, walking shoes, and a rain jacket!! Don't forget to get a 99!

The best experience of my life

When I signed up for the Classport Dublin program, I wasn't quite sure what would be waiting for me on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. What I found was the best experience of my life. The Classport program was incredibly welcoming. Between the teachers, staff, and my host family, I grew comfortable living in the beautiful city of Dublin and became friends with the other students in the program. My classes were incredibly interesting, and I even began to find traces of what I was learning in the new sights I was seeing in Ireland. I would complete this study abroad again in a heartbeat!