CTR Berlin - Travel Writers, Reviewers, & Travel Researchers
City Travel Review Header Image City Travel Review Header Image

CTR Berlin - Travel Writers, Reviewers, & Travel Researchers

citytravelreview basics from my experience

CityTravelReview Berlin Project key facts from my experience

My background is in English literature at University. As or German I did GCSE but almost forgot all. I wanted to be part of a project that involved some parts of what I studied and something completely different. I did a lot of research on many projects and in the end I chose and was selected for the CTR project in Berlin. I was also tempted for Edinburgh but I wanted to go abroad and had already visited Edinburgh many times.

There are quite a few different options relating to study working type placements and I did A LOT of research in this area prior to joining this project.

CityTravelReview is one of the established organisations and they have run many projects over 10 years during all seasons so have a fair amount of experience. The Company is a registered UK trusted company and the ctr project is run by Motion Placements Ltd. They have won awards for the projects as best educational projects are also verified under a few trusted sources and under the companies house and to date have no negative issues standing. Their main popular projects take place in Berlin and Edinburgh but they also do run smaller projects in some other locations. Projects tend to fill quickly and there are 2 application rounds per year. I was in a team of 28 people. (July and August I was told are the most popular months where they allocate a few more spaces) Most were from the UK but we also had some team mates from the US, Canada, Australia, Italy, France, Spain and some from Hong Kong so a good mix.

After leaving the project I did pass on my contact details as a few people each year give permission for future applicants to contact us for a short time. I no longer have time to answer the emails coming in and my name has now been taken from the ctr list. So to save anyone the trouble below here are the key places to look for info on CTR

- I requested a project schedule which holds the main information on the project.

- The citytravelreview website has a faqs page which answers the basic questions you may have.

- on the homepage there is a blog which is quite hidden as I never saw this first time around. There is a link called CTR Staff and Project Member interviews. This also holds quite a bit of info from past project members’ who have been on the projects so don’t overlook this. There is also a testimonial page called project members views on the website.

- There is a guides section on the website that lists some example guides made by past project members’

- Facebook page also has a gallery page with past members, accommodation pictures, class rooms, meetings and similar

- For anyone being selected standard procedure is that you are also are required to listen to how the project runs by a Project co-ordinator where they basically run through the same info that was sent but are they are there to answer any queries and will only process your place if you are in agreement with all terms and understand how the project works, I applied in first round applications so they also gave mea a few days to think if i definitely want to join the team. Those selected CTR provides all the main things within their project fee like apartment, classes, project activities workshops, all the structure, admin and organisation of the team and the main things you would expect from such a project. Food is the project members’ responsibility although ctr provides kitchen and cutlery, crockery utensils. There are basics items in the fridge together with welcome pack when they bring you tot he apartment. Not all apartments have a single room as they have different layouts. For those that want this they have to request this early and there is an extra fee of 25pounds per week.

- Project fee- There are scholorships and bursaries available and hardship funds. Though from my own experience pretty much most of the group members in my team paid themselves or had their parents pay the fee. Some though did use part of their student loan which is the easiest thing to do. I was not at all eligible for a hardship loan or any fee waiver programme like most of the group unfortunately. If It depends on a number of different factors but if you speak to the right people at your career hub then yes you may get full or partial funding, the rules change frequently. Be aware though the time it takes to process funding does vary considerably from university to university. Most I know that got funding had to pay some of the fee first to ctr to secure their place initially and then they were reimbursed by funding later (3-6 months later).

-language classes we were split into 2 groups. Absolute beginners and a low intermediate level. Fo most other things we were 2 groups for workshops and for all other meetings and project activities we were all together.

My impression was excellent and i do not regret joining and feel that in a way it did change my perspective on what I am doing. I like some others am working in Germany working in a temporary post in Franken working for an independent family run English/German translation company which produces tourist reading material so from ctr was a nice transition. I’m also getting to use a little German although missing the big team culture as most of my duties are individual tasks so is much quieter. I believe my team as a whole enjoyed the majority of the experience and from what I’ve read most people have also done the same. They structure the project quite simply which means you also get the freedom to also see Berlin the way you like. I have tried not to be biased and explain exactly the main facts which may clear something up for some. So hopefully my contribution helps and Good luck if you do join ctr!

learning working Project in Berlin with CityTravelReview

I stumbled on this project through my university. One of my lecturers recommended it as one of the possible learning experiences out of term time. I’m currently travelling around Germany, Austria, Switzerland on a 6 week history/culture touring group so the German I learnt at ctr that I can remember has been useful to say the least.

Drawbacks -
You have to commit usually early to get on the project. I didn’t join the project until July but had to secure the place in October although was easy to pay rest of balance in timed instalments. This didn’t much matter to them. Getting in on the 2nd round applicaions can be more challenging but not impossible. More people apply and at some stage the project fee can increase in 2nd round apps if you apply the wrong side of 2nd round apps.

If you want to have a single room in accommodation you can apply for this but not everyone can have one as was told there are not enough of these. The default is with room-mate. Don’t know though if this is always the case? Depends on personal preference if this is a drawback. If though being selected definitely check if you can have one if this is a must have on the list.

Positives –
If you’re not sure what area you want to go into or just need some breathing space the project covers different elements. All briefly scratched. Incorporates learning a language, exploring and discovering another city while working in a team researching the city and surroundings. There were some areas I surprisingly enjoyed and there was a mixture of a meeting and outdoor activities.

I had a great time. I’m not sure still yet what I want to tie myself down to but as an experience to do out of term time if you get the chance then I would completely recommend. If anything else you at least also have it on your CV as doing something when not in Uni and someone that can vouch and support to what you did. It can look a bit better on your CV than writing worked on supermarket Till entire summer. Not that I’m against that and some people have to take paid work but I figured I have years of paid work ahead. Of course depends on your particular circumstance. I was involved in the guide ‘Wir Sind Berlin‘ in Spring and I put my name on the list with a ctr project co-ordinator as a contact if any future applicants wanna contact me? Please be aware that I am travelling right now so am slower to come back but I am open and happy to mail or speak to anyone for a limited period if they are considering this .

#CityTravelReview #worthwhile #goabroad #getaway #travel researching #thesis #dissertation

I was asked to share my experience of a gap style project at University as was part of my thesis research writing about these sorts of projects for the young generation: So briefly here it is.

To sum up my time at CTR: #worthwhile #entertaining #cultural # awareness-experience

Below explains why this worked for me. Without too much sugar coating:

Initially sceptical of these kinds of experiences I quickly got into the swing of things at CTR. I understood the basics of what was involved before joining the team but I think you don’t have an idea of what it's gonna be like until at least being there for a few days on location.

Language Training
I was entered into a beginners class as I had no knowledge of German and I found the classes entertaining and had the feeling that I was learning step by step. I am not gifted with foreign languages so I did find the classes moving quite fast however with a little extra support I got there in the end. If you want to just learn German then I would say the ctr project is definitely not for you. If you hate learning languages then again although the project is not just about a language then I would still say it is not for you. I put in the effort also in the homework as I desperately didn’t want to fall behind which was warned at the orientation meeting. Generally though they went at a good pace for most of us in the group and tried to make the tasks fun even with grammar tasks which i normally hate.

Where we stayed
This I was told was furninshed accommodation. It is basic and my flat was outdated and in the east part but fitted with old times. Not 60’s old but 1990’s old Although most of the apartments I saw were similar some though were more modern and renovated although all the apartments were kitted the same and had a spacious layout. We were in the kitchen alot. Was more of a long corridor style kitchen so when we had friends over was crammed. Our apartment screamed 1992 but for my flat at least was part of the attraction and was much more organised and clean than my old house at uni. I shared the apartment with 2 others who were neat freaks. I did not book a single room. If you don’t it is likely you will get a flat mate. If you don’t like surprises then book a single room right away. It is still possible to get a single room but the supervisor told us this involves only luck if someone does not join the project unexpectedly for example. I luckily got on like a house on fire with my flatmates. Most were provided although things like bath mats, and what someone else wrote about creature comforts from home were not. We had a TV and radio woooo but be aware is German cable . No English channels. Makes sense though as we were in Berlin.

Project activities
These were a mixture of visiting organisations doing walking tours and seeing general sites that were held by staff from ctr. Berlin is quite massive. If you don’t like walking then this is gonna be the reason not to apply as most of the activities we did did require some degree of walking. We purchased a travel card which was optional but recommended. This entitled us to all trains, trams buses that ran really well and alos at night. This I could not have done without.

Staff and general atmosphere
Was a close knit team and I had contact with 2 langauage trainers, the supervisor who was there for most key meetings and some general guides and organisation staff. We were in a team of 26 people so was sufficient cover. Staff were friendly, with a dry humour and all but all good ;) They were keen to help us settle in without being too in your face and they introduced us to some nice guides on our project activities. The meetings at the companies were the most insightful for me as you saw how it really it is to work inside a German company which was different to the UK of what I’ve seen.

We got the freedom in the evenings and the weekends- There is a kind of University atmosphere at the meeting rooms and in general the group. Would say most got on together although we were all different personalities. We had more awkward moments than real issues within the group and on the first week was hard to gage what was expected of us but that feeling soon passed. We went out as group quite a bit in the evenings and some of the group split into smaller numbers which was expected as we were all quite different. Although being in a group is not compulsory if you don’t like working in teams then again this would be the decision not to join as most day tasks were in teams.

Cost
We discussed on our last week as a group and this is about investing in your future and an experience that you cannot beat even if not as expected. Their is no guarantee you will enjoy it and of course you could just go to Berlin? But if you just take a plane to Berlin then this is just a solo holiday which anyone can do . Does not really sound the same on CV – This Summer i flew to berlin for a holiday:) for 1 month. In the end you would spend more or less the same amount of cash if not more in a month if you include entertainment, bars etc.. It is not the cheapest project but by far certainly not the most expensive and the living costs if you still live on a budget were a lot cheaper than my uni town of Brighton where i still currently reside. For what you get in my opinion is a good deal. With ctr they introduced us to ton things that I probably wouldn’t see and you see the city more as a local than a tourist. You pay for the access to something different and the insight of the people. There was plenty of opportunity to get involved in local activities and ctr encouraged this like the things like the Stammtisch to improve german with others usually held in a bar or cafe. Or you could do these tandem groups where someone who you could practise german and your partner improve english in a fun setting and was usually free. This all depends on your situation. I applied on the first round applications so around 8 months before the project so I had quite a while to pay the project fee off and paid in 3 instalments most though in the group lived on their normal budget at home. I now work in a leisure company and although I did not speak German in the past I had a few business trips including Germany and Austria where the basics I learnt at ctr at least came in handy and i feel that I now connect better with the germans and german speakers than i did previously from the ones i met at uni. Kind of could now see where they were coming from so ctr was an eye opener in terms of cultural awareness. Some oft the things we did felt a little like on a school project so I don’t think those are the things that i got the true benefit from but nothing to complain. In some of the activities i absorbed way more and in language classes when I was not doing grammar found myself to be quite enthusiastic.

Hopefully this sheds further light on some things. Was hard to get used to the fact of not checking the internet so much which some of the addicted internet junkies in in the team whined about but they anyway knew this from the start and is one of the whole points of the project. We had access at a local library and in meeting rooms so its not like you have zero access but for sure was less than I use it at home. After a week or so it became much more fun to go out and explore the city first hand. This was not about sitting behind a computer. So much we knew that from the start and I assumed this before joining hence my application in the first place. My advice is that if you like traveling, researching outdoors and working in teams this probably is a good thing to be involved in. CTR is one of the smaller younger thinking organisations and has been running the projects for 10 years so they must be doing something right. There is quite a bit of info of past projects available and also shows some of the accommodation, guides, past project members' meeting rooms groups and so on their FB. There were some parts of the project I was not so entusiastic aboutbut this comes down to personal preferences. To conclude I can safely say their were little downsides. Upsides weighed more. I showed up to all and as an experience on the whole I found this #worthwhile (hence the title)

#Citytravel #myview

I found the time productive and fulfilling. I was really thrilled I got the opportunity to join the team. The project was a mixture of learning a language while working in a team and exploring the city. If you like travelling and want to do something away from the usual 9-5 in a lively environment then I would whole heartily recommend doing this or at least something similar abroad. It was a stop gap for me as I finished Uni and am now travelling and taking part in some programmes before joining my still not clear chosen career. We had a good general organised structure during the week and also got to do alot during our free-time. The Workshop seminar staff, language staff & toring staff were competent and always upbeat. I would do it all again if I could!

Internship not equals to spending days, but initiating your future career path!

Hi, everyone! I'm Maggie from Hong Kong China.And this summer I just graduated from my master degree in Hong Kong Polytechnic University, majored in the hospitality and tourism management.
I love my major and wants to set my career in an international background. So I took CTR Berlin's internship program and become an intern from July this year. Hope this period of internship can add credits to my CV and future.And up till now, i can tell you with sincerity that what i learn from here is not only how to deal with interpersonal issues or adopt myself quickly in a new atmosphere, but how to present myself and create the future caree path!

My supervisor is a project coordinator. So what i do everyday is also what a project coordinator should do everyday. From the beginning of the month, we welcome participants from different countries, sending them to flats, giving them guidance and orientation on both life and projects, arranging classes and activities to sending these students back and checking flats and making different big or small plans and starting new turn of projects... it contains lots of details and really test my multi-tasks ability. And when we meet things, my supervisor will ask about my opinions on how to deal with the issues and my opinions did been adopted !! It gained my confidence in dealing things and making decisions independently, and become more and more brave and willing to show my initiatives when work.

And i have to say, because of interning here, this is my first time to know about what a project coordinator's job like. and i found i totally love that feeling! And want to set my career as a professional project coordinator in future.Being a project coordinator is not about doing daily things day by day, but to pay attention to the frequent changes of any possible emergencies and quickly solve it with in your connects and abilities. And it's really cool and challenging to experience this character in CTR!

I always call my supervisor "boss". And he is really a nice boss. From the first day i come to intern here, he called the other staff in CTR as " our colleague" to me, which gave me a strong sense of belongings. This also taught me a lesson, when i was in real work, i should also treat the others in such a sincere and kind manner to build a harmonious interpersonal relation in working places. I was trusted by my boss and colleagues, and was given lots of opportunities to deal with tasks independently and show my initiatives. They really took what I proposed seriously even though I just graduated from the university. The boss and staff here, they have a sense of responsibilities, sincere and kindness and devote to their career with enthusiasm and passion. That’s what I was taught to be by my family. I am willing to and feel honorable to devote to the job with a group of right people with the same faith.

And in CTR, they devote to nature the students and help students groom themselves with a better future. If you behave well and really outstanding in the project, CTR will honor you a reference or recommendation letter which will help you to find a job or apply for further degrees. And to tell the truth, the reference is really attractive to me. I believe this period of internship will become my career highlight among my limit working experience and gain credits to my CV.

After work, the boss and staff here they usually sharing their career life to me, which encouraged me a lot. As a freshman of career, I need these senior people to give me guidance and lead me to see through the future. Since I am not familiar with Berlin, they also help me to arrange my travel plan. I still remember one thing which really touched me a lot. During one talk, my boss know about i didn't got a chance to go to Postdam, he was really shocked and said i can't believe a person who stays in Berlin so long time and never been to Postdam. If you don't have time to go, i will give you a one day leave during work days. And he really put this thing on his schedule seriously! I was moved very much at that time and been warmed. You see, interning here, not only you learn how to do things, but how to live a happy life and how to get along well with others with sincerity and love.

Too many happy moments with CTR Berlin that i cannot describe with simple words. but, it is true that different people will have different feelings and feedback on one thing. What i want to share with you all is : once you choose one project and want to harvest something from it, just make yourself become simple and immerse yourself in the project. try to experience its different aspects and think what you can learn from the bad and good things with your best. And communication really works sometimes. as long as you are honest, sincere, humble, hardworking and willing to devote and learn, everyone of CTR will try their best to groom your future and provide opportunities to showcase and present your bloom of youth! That's what i feel as an intern here. Good luck for you! (For more project details, you can find me on FB: Maggie Lan, i will share you more if i can help.)

Loved every CTR minute

I thoroughaly enjoyed my time on the ctr 2 month project in Berlin.

To sum up my total experience with CityTravelReview was excellent although completely different from what I envisioned in a pleasant way!. Here is my detailed review. (My personal experience).

Accommodation – I was in a single-sex apartment with 2 other project members’. We were on one of the top floors although we had a lift which came in really handy on the arrival day and also during the evenings when I came back from ctr. Feet were always tired at the end of each day. Be warned if your not keen on walking then the project is probaly not for you as we covered quite a few steps on most days but you have the weekends to recover. Accommodation is in shared Apartments basic and clean. Definitely though better than University Halls. Most things were provided and when we arrived there were some welcome items and some necessities in the kitchen. A few things like tea towels are not provided and also towels (so don’t forget to bring a towel) however have heard that they soon will at least provide tea towels in the future and some small minor details that some others noticed after feedback. Overall though I had no real issues there. We had a few breakages which were fixed fairly quickly by the caretaker. The area isn’t that far from the city centre although most of the bars and cafes I was interested in were further a field. However the main infrastructure is there with a closeby cheap supermarket and amenities etc... Probably the best thing about the apartments was that all of the project members were in the same buildings so I think we really created the atmosphere! Had some long dinners in the other flats and when we were done did not have to walk so far which was usually a blessing after some of the days.

Language – This was great! I loved my German teachers and they were really patient and supportive. I feel I personallly learned a lot. Please note though that this project is definitely not just a language project so if you just want to learn German I would recommend a straight forward language school. The main project Co-ordinator told us also before hand and it was a mix of language, culture and a more interesting working team experience. It was a really good way to get the basics though and in my case was definitely stimulating enough and I do feel I now have a better insight into the langauge and can actually get by in quite a few German speaking situations considering I knew nothing to begin with or ver little. It helped most with speaking and also reading which was useful when navigating the city. Most of my group were absolute beginners or only knew a little. Some of the group had studied in University and school . The ones that had were placed in an intermediate level.

Workshops – Also really fun and interesting! This is the backbone of the entire project, without these it would be really difficult to structure the team. The workshop staff helped a lot and structured each workshop like in Uni. The atmosphere was relaxed although we did still have to concentrate. This was hard on some days as it does get quite hot in Berlin sometimes and the city does not have so much air conditioning.

Project activities – most of these were things like walking tours and exploring the city. We did a main tour some other site tour sand again got a fine insight into the city. Alot of history. We were also at some of the museums and had some constructive meetings at a couple of media related organisations. We took an excursion trip to Potsdam which was an eye opener and was nice to see the comparison from Berlin.

My own Conclusion

Fun Factor –definitely was worth it in my case!

Pros and cons – I learnt a lot about myself, enjoyed myself like I was on holiday but at the same time felt being productive. I ddn’t have much to complain about apart from some minor things which i gave feedback . If you just want to learn the language then again Probably wouldn’t recommend the project as the project incorporates much more than this as you also get a good general work experience even only learning to work in teams and get a better working structure.

My advice is it you show up to all the meeting, activities etc...then you’ll get the most in theory out of it. It does take some discipline sometimes especially as Berlin is quite a vibrant town and we did have a few late nights which makes it more difficult sometimes. You get the opportunity to be as social as you like and in my case being more involved was much more enjoyable than not. If you did erasmus then is probably a similar experience with in my case a good mix of people.

CTR like!!

Taking part in Citytravelreview was one of the best moves i made Here are my short bullet points.

* Learned language in a more entertaing way than I did in school and saw a diferent culture
* Discovered a new city and also got to visit many other places during the 2 months there. I was off most weekends travelling.
* working with others and different nationalities on the team project. Overcoming challenges while sharing jokes.
* meeting a fair number of new people while touring the city in a group but also with the freedom to do my own thing.

I worked on the project as I also want to work in the areas of educated travel tourism. Via Citytravelreview i also could network on visits and in the future will be doing some small freelance tasks for ctr so my view maybe slightly biased ;)

I’ve done a few similar style experiences that have all been exceptional. ctr although not exactly cheap was though the least inexpensive as the cost of living was much lower than the others and much better value for money when you look at what I got to do in my free time. Eating out opportunities if you shop around outside the central area was exceptional and Berlin has so much choice for all tastes. I would recommend ctr or similar learning working experiences to like minded people. For me at least these have for sure proved to be invaluable and glad I could do them while I am still young (ish).

Amazing, once in a lifetime experience!

The City Travel Review took my skills and passion and amplified them in a cross-cultural environment. I was immersed in a new culture along with people from around the world who shared similar interest. We learned a lot from one another and in addition, I made some life long friends. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

My own CityTravel Review experience

CTR was was the optimal experience for me and came around for me at just the right time. The programme is definitely a good mix of working and studying and combines many different elements. It is not your traditional type of internship and focusses on working in a team to create an online travel guide while learning German. I applied pretty early for the project and was for sure over the moon once I was selected. I was a little apprehensive at first before deciding if the project for me was right however they explained to me the main things that were involved in the project and I thought what the hell, i'll just give it all I've got!! I wanted to gain the full experience and wanted to learn as much German as I possibly could as I knew that this may be the only chance that I had as of course having a full time working position there is a remotely low chance of getting 3 months off to take some time out and learn a language somewhere completely different. I initially wanted to do simply 2 months however in the end opted for 3 months and was so glad I did. Berlin has to be one of the ultimate cities in Europe and enjoying every minute was my plan. I really don't have much negative to say about the project or any real qualms about the project as a whole. It was not as I expected but refreshingly better. Admittedly I don't think the project is for everyone and it is a kind of a risk involved with what to expect The co-ordinator that who called tried to give me as much info as possible to gain a view of possibly what to expect but again ultimately I did not find out until actually arriving, he more or less said the same. The project was well organised and indeed a good mix of project activities, language classes workshops and group meetings, we got plenty of free time to explore the city and had many high memorable moments. The first week was a little overloading for some of us but guess that was expected as there were so many new things. All in all if you want to really get to grips with the language I would recommend doing 2 or 3 months or if wanting to live in Germany or move on to a job in Germany by far the longer experience will give you the best preparation in my opinion. 1 month though for sure also gives you the basics and plenty of others loved that but if you do choose 1 month and you want to stay on longer this was not an option. My recommendation is if you want to do something different and have a valuable working experience or even do something that you might not get the chance ever to do again then simply go for it! It is not the easiest project that I did but was one of the most thrilling, satisfying and something I just wanted to get out of my system. Even if the project is not up your street Berlin's atmosphere in the Summer is quirky and unique. The city just has vibe. Was a great place to spend my summer!

CTR project member

An excellent and exciting project to take part in, with language lessons and day trips thrown in as added extras! Fantastic idea which is very reasonably priced.
If there was one thing which could be improved, it would be the language lessons delivered by external tutors - they could be more closely tailored to the needs of the project members. Instead of focusing too much on grammar, pronunciation, essential vocabulary, basic introductory conversations and useful phrases should be focused on.

The kind of travel experience you will never forget

I had the great pleasure to be a participant on the CTR Berlin project during September 2015 and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

The worst thing about this programme is basically than it comes to an end. I wish I had chosen to stay three months instead of one, because one month is definitely not enough your time in a city like Berlin.

My overall opinion about the programme is excellent. I met really interesting people, I improved my english level a lot, I explored many hidden secrets of the city and I learnt many interesting things for my future.

If I had the chance to improve something about the programme, I would suggest to find accommodation with Wi-Fi, as it is basic and necessary. I missed a bit more contact with the german culture as well, as I did not have the chance to meet many german people and would have enjoyed a more immersive experience (although we had many interesting excursions and guided tours explaining german recent history).

In any case, I would recommend this experience to any curious and adventurous soul seeking for new experiences abroad.

10/10

CTR Berlin review

Being a part of the June and July 2015 Berlin program was one of the best experiences in my life. Met plenty of great people who I'm still in contact with. Only wish we had WiFi back at the apartments.

Niki's review

This program was lot of fun! I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in living in Berlin for 1-3 months. So long as you meet your review requirements, you get a lot of freedom to explore and do whatever you please.

Don't skip out on the languages classes and excursions!

Thumbs up ;) well worth it!

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience with CTR. Berlin was the best city and I had an amazingly productive summer. I was there for a really long period 3 months as I wanted to get to grips with the language as best as I could and to pave the way or use the whole project as a stepping stone for future work in Berlin and Germany.

I had fun in all the language classes and found the trainers humorous very well qualified and extremely patient with us !!!!! What drew me to the project was that it was a combination of many things in one project incorporating language, culture and an overall very valuable experience.

I met great people on my team and can honestly say I loved every minute of the project. It was a really wise decision to stay longer as initially I was not sure whether to do 2 or 3 months however I really wanted to get as much language experience as possible, gain maximum immersion in a different culture and benefit from working on a work experience creating an online travel guide. After the project I have returned to Berlin!

I would definitely recommend CityTravelReview to anyone although would say that it is hard work and can have his ups and downs in terms of putting the jigsaw together, staying on top of time management, working in a team etc. Although from my side the ups for sure outweighed any downs. I found the accommodation fairly central, safe, practical and well equipped which was close to some great bars. It was a very interesting positive experience to live with so many like minded individuals and when we were not in class, group meetings or project activities the social life was mind blowing. However try not to stay up too late. Quite a few of us looked a little bleary eyed on some mornings. I would be happy to pass on my feedback if you look me up. I also passed on my contact details to ctr if any future project member wants to hear my experiences.

CTR Berlin

I took part in the CTR Berlin project in July 2015. I really enjoyed the chance to live in the city whilst taking part in a project that allowed me to develop new skills. I hadn’t visited Berlin before and spending a month there really allowed me to familiarise myself with the city.

Creating the guidebook meant that a good amount of time was allowed for exploring Berlin. This was well balanced with writing workshops, language lessons and organised trips to certain attractions. I liked the group work element of the project and that everyone in the group had at least one role. I worked on the layout of the guidebook and appreciated the chance to utilise my design skills and the extra workshops put in place to help.

We had the weekends free and these were always a good chance to do things with other people on the project whether it was clubbing, trying out restaurants or wandering around the flea markets. It was really nice to make friends from all across the world who I still keep in contact with a year on. I was quite daunted by the prospect of going somewhere on my own to begin with but the group aspect of the CTR project, plus apartment accommodation, means you get to know people pretty quickly.

This project was really enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone who really wants to experience Berlin whilst learning and working too.

Berlin August 2016

With great adoration and much respect I happily offer my survey and constructive feedback for the City Travel Review Program. So you know, I am an American female from the city of Los Angeles. In the past, I've had the luxury of traveling abroad for vacation purposes, but I've never undertaken such a detailed and comprehensive international expedition as I did with CTR's work/travel/live program.

This experience well exceeded my expectation. It presented me with a thorough exploration of the Berlin culture, people, food, and lifestyle. More than I could have ever anticipated or foreseen. I received an in-depth personal one-on-one analysis of the city by fully immersing myself into the throws of their everyday life beyond a travelers postcard perspective. That in and of itself was priceless.

With complete sincerity, I had the excellent fortune of stumbling upon this opportunity through a craigslist ad. Not a likely place one might think. In truth, that should've given me much pause and extreme hesitation as craigslist is not a safe way to advertise, especially toward young female adults, but luckily for me, despite my naivety, I encountered a new and exciting experience that was profoundly educational and remarkably gratifying.

I had many highs and quite a few lows throughout the journey that fully endeared me to the opportunity beyond the words that I'm capable of expressing right now. To offer some context, I am an African American young lady who would normally, under zero circumstances, travel outside of the states, by myself, and into a country that likely is akin to a 'culture shock.' Which it was! At first landing, I can wholeheartedly, and in all honesty, dare I say, scared. I was fearful of the people, of the language, of the environment... of E-V-E-R-Y-Thing! But I learned - very quickly. That that, was just ignorance. We fear what we don't know or understand. It's the natural human phenomenon of our nature. But so is curiosity. And upon learning, without the comfort of my trusty Americanized hotel and pool key, I found the greatest slice of self peace. It was a new found awareness that only uncharted waters could reveal. I found so much comfort in a strange land, among strange people, with strange food and smells, and it was all do to City Travel Review offering me the chance to explore past my backyard and preconceived notions. They provided the platform, guidance, and the structure, yet without training wheels. Which is precisely what I needed. The language classes were an excellent sales pitch to entice and peek my interest, but it proved to be vaguely useful to a minute degree. Mostly it helped bridge the comradery gap between the project participants and myself. And the fact that the teacher only spoke German was a bit isolating and difficult for me... though even that, was a growing pain worth exploring.

There were challenges in relating to my flat mates and unfortunately I didn't create much of a bond with them, but I attribute that to different interests and ages. Though I do think CTR would benefit greatly if they were afforded the opportunity to expand their advertising to a broader range of participants. Personally, I felt as though, not being from the UK, created an unspoken divide between me and the majority of the other attendees because they were all from the same general area. Familiarity breeds comfort. Naturally.

I understand the comfort of familiarity ll too well being American. In my humble opinion, many Americans, are so conditioned and brainwashed to believe that world revolves around us. It's a sad case of ignorance that runs rampant inside the US borders which unfortunately keeps many of us from exploring beyond that great pond. So I believe it would be lovely if a vast majority of other countries and nationalities, especially from the states, were all able to immerse themselves into a company like City Travel Review. It is imperative that something or someone shine a spotlight on this infrastructure and allocate additional funding &/or advertising because it already has built-in notoriety. At least it does to those of us who know its value first hand. And of course, the true notoriety and fame of this organization comes from people who created this company. They joined hand and hand with many people across borders and boundaries to unify and bind ties through the simplest of gestures. Writing and sharing. Sharing travel experiences is by far one of the most strengthening and uniting tools to bridge the world. All in all, City Travel Review is a rare jewel worth finding and polishing which makes it that much more imperative that a gem like that be mounted and set high for everyone to see and potentially take part in.

As far as feedback goes, I can't really offer much. There isn't much to shake a finger at or complain over. Truly, everything that I could suggest pales in comparison to the significant personal growth and uncharted maturity it offers to all people, nations, and beliefs. Personally for me, not only did I grow a profound faith in City Travel as a trust worthy company, but I grew an admiration and respect for a country that I was mildly, if barely, educated on in my own nation. Nothing surpasses human interaction and meeting the world at its doorstep by fully immersing yourself into it the way CTR offers its participant. There was just enough hands-on education and personal interaction, as equally as there was freedom of exploration and latitude of growth. I grew. Immensely. I grew an independence muscle I never knew existed. I can't tell you how super proud I am of myself for breaking my biased mold of the world without the rose colored glasses of vacation shades. That experience alone has encouraged me in so many ways to be mindful, tolerant, knowledgeable, and aware that it's immeasurable. I can only hope to participate again sometime in the near future or in some other capacity as it was genuinely a life shaping experience.

Though I will say, someone must really do something about getting wifi in the flats. That was an excruciating task to not have contact or internet connection to communicate with friends and family. Traversing the city for free internet connectivity proved to be beyond difficult. But breaking away from reality TV and social media was a forced blessing in disguise so the upside of that should equally be commended. But if I can offer some constructive criticism try offering an international sim card to the participants. But in lue of the financial costs of remaining technologically afloat with having to buy sim cards, adapters, and gigabytes, even with all that, I wouldn't change anything about my experience... except my mattress! :D

Berlin summer 2010

Citytravelreview facilitated one of the best summers of my life. The opportunity to live in, and write about one of the world's most fascinating cities was truly an unforgettable experience. The team at Citytravelreview were fantastic, from setting up our apartments, to organising language lessons and writing workshops. CTR made everyone on the experience feel right at home in Berlin.

Without this experience I wouldn't of made as diverse and close friends that I did, we lived together, explored together and most importantly, partied together. It was an amazing bonding experience and to this day I am in close contact with many of the participants of CTR.

I heartily recommend anyone thinking about participating in any of CTR's programs to do so.

Amazing trip!

I took part in the Barcelona CTR project in 2015, and had such an incredible three weeks! We got to explore an incredible city, improve our Spanish, meet new people from all over the world and create a professional publication all at the same time.

The trip gave me a great opportunity to learn how I could cope outside of my comfort zone. I’d never even been on a plane by myself before, but such a positive experience resulting from flying off to live in a new city with complete strangers for three weeks has given me the confidence to challenge myself more, and now I find myself five weeks into a nine-month teaching placement in Seville, Spain!

Thanks to the whole CTR team for great memories, friends and skills for my CV!

An amazing experience which shaped my career

I went on the City Travel Review programme in Summer 2010, just after graduating. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it and got out of it! The course was really well structured, offering daily language lessons alongside practical advice from journalists and a visit to one of Berlin's biggest magazines. We were given help and support as we put together our city guides, as well as being shown the sights of Berlin and getting a real insider's look at life in the city.
It was a brilliant month and was part of my decision to go into journalism professionally, and I got a job at Metro a few months later. It also ignited a love of Berlin - I've been back several times since!
I can't recommend it enough. It was a brilliant, educational and fun experience, and I made several good friends who I've kept in touch with in the five years since.

City Travel Review - Berlin 2009

When I was an undergrad I wanted to do something worthwhile with my final summer before going into my honours year and when I found out about City Travel Review it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do something different and relevant. I was studying Event Management and the project team made an effort to ensure that the reviews I was writing and practical experience I gained was relevant to my field of study. Completing my internship alongside predominately journalism student gave me invaluable an insight into the field of press and journalism and how this is linked to events.

The immersive nature of the project, living, reviewing, working and socialising with the rest of the interns was such a strong experience and it changed the way I approach teamwork and relationship building. We were a very mixed bunch and quickly learned to draw from our different strengths and weaknesses to get the project complete. We were encourage to support each other by the project leaders and this increased valuable communication and interactions. We had a common goal and an amazing city to explore together and from the project I still have many friends who are people I would not have crossed paths with otherwise. I often draw on examples from this experience during interviews when I am asked to give examples of building effective relationships for example.

Since the trip I am also still very much in love with Berlin and return whenever I can. The structure of this project included a well thought out balance of being guided around the city but also given enough time to make your own opportunities to explore, meet and interacts with locals and find interesting events or venues to write about. I felt fully supported and confident in the project leaders throughout the experience.

This unique experience in Berlin has definitely contributed to my ability to travel alone, work in cities and situations outwith my comfort zone and build the most unlikely of friendships. The slight anxiety I felt when I first landed in Berlin disappeared as soon as I was met at the airport and only returned at the end of the experience when I worried that this might be the last beer I shared with the team - my new 'Berlin Family'.

City Travel Review: Berlin 2010

I took part in CTR's 2010 summer programme in Berlin as part of the eight-week group who researched, wrote, edited and designed a 142 page full colour guide book to the city.
This experience, without a doubt, led me to where I am today in terms of my career. It gave me the creative tools to learn how to craft my writing through a series of workshops as well as an insight into the design aspect of printed publishing. I now work as the deputy editor of a newspaper.
Not only was the programme immense fun, it gave me access into another culture through German language lessons and organised trips around the city along with being immersed into daily life whilst living in our apartments in East Berlin.
Some of the friendships I made during that eight weeks are still the strongest I could have ever hoped for. Although many of us live all over the world, we still keep in touch and, when we can, meet up to reminisce over best summer of our lives.

City Travel Review - german and travel writing

I studied this program in the summer of 2010 in Berlin and it was one of the best experiences of my life! The program was well organised, varied and a lot of fun. It was a great way to meet students from all over the world, while gaining valuable language and literature skills along the way. I'd recommend City Travel Review to everyone.

Living and Learning in Berlin

I had a really wonderful time on the Travel Review Guide. Having studied journalism in London, I was keen to gain firsthand experience and after reading about the position in my university career site, I thought I'd give it a go. From the moment I arrived at the airport in Berlin, I was greeted by a cheeky but cheerful Jeremy - who was kind and brave enough to carry my LARGE suitcase - all the way to house and through several modes of transport. (I think I packed for three months instead of three weeks!! :-D)
The staff were all extremely professional, helpful and friendly and what I really enjoyed was the fact that the trip involved daily German lessons, where we could learn the language as well as work in a professional capacity through creating, designing and writing for the youth-based magazine. As well as this, we also had the chance to experience and learn about different parts of life, culture and history in and around Berlin.

There were times to reflect on the capital's past and also look as people developing their future.

There is so much to enjoy on this trip! From Currywurst to kebabs; and beer to Bear Pit Karaoke (I hope they still do this!!! - Google it if you need to! :-D)

I highly recommend this placement. You will experience the best of the city and discover so many hidden gems.

I made friends and memories for life on this trip and I'm sure that anyone who takes the chance will experience the same and hopefully even more!

Creative teaching in Berlin

I worked as a german teacher at the city travel review programme in Berlin in summer 2010 and 2011. It was a great experience to be part of that programme as I not only had the possibility to organise my lessons by myself but I was also totally free to adjust the content of the lessons to the needs and interests of young journalists all over the world. The students were enthusiastic and very hard working and due to the programme they got the chance to get to know this city through a totally different perspective. Working within this team was like being in a family, everyone was helping everyone and the energy was great.

Great experience before entering job life

Actually, I joined the travel writers programme in Edinburgh/UK, in autumn 2009 (aged 25), after studying marketing at University. The Citytravelreview study-work-programme was the perfect match of experiencing team work in an international project team, getting to know a foreign country/city/lifestyle and practicing intercultural competence. During the morning one had the chance to join classes, learn knew research as well as writing tools and write creative texts with the input from professional teachers or journalists. In the afternoons and on the weekends one had the chance to get to know the city and locals and work on the project, either alone or with others from the team. The project helped me to gain experience with working abroad, which enhances my CV. Furthermore, it enabled long-term friendship with people from all over the world, even long-term professional relationships. I can imagine, this study-work-programme is also a good chance to try new things if you are not 100% sure what you want to do for your living after school or university. In a nutshell, I would not want to miss this unique experience!