Summer in Barcelona - Barcelona School for Int'l Studies
CISabroad participants CISabroad participants

Summer in Barcelona - Barcelona School for Int'l Studies

Semester in Barcelona

It was overall a great experience! CIS builds in cultural activities which allows you to do things that you wouldn't do on your own! The advisors and mentors are always there to help. At the international school, you will never meet a local. It is definitely difficult to immerse. Overall, a great experience though!

Beautiful Barca

CISabroad provided an incredibly enticing opportunity to study abroad in the beautiful city of Barcelona. My classes far surpassed my expectations. I took an art history class focusing on Dali, Miro, and Picasso and a cross-cultural psychology class. Both classes were engaging and the professors were fantastic. The classes included preplanned "field trips" led throughout the city, which was really refreshing and fun.

The program itself included two trips, one to Valencia and one to Girona. These trips were so much fun and very well organized. They were included in the program fee, so there was no hassle with money once we got there, and they were incredibly organized with the transportation and hotels for the trips.

Overall I am incredibly happy and grateful to have spent the summer in Barcelona, and would do it again in a heart beat.

I had the best two months of my life

Through this program I met people and experienced things that I will remember for a lifetime. Amazing people and opportunities through this program and its always different. The cultural events that are held were amazing. The homestay option was an amazing opportunity and the food was to die for. Rich and his team were amazing.

Barcelona, Spain

Deciding to go on this trip will be one of your best choices! Immersing into another culture and seeing how their everyday life is will amaze you. Going to another country may be scary, but the friends you meet will help make this trip even more amazing!

Amazing!!!

My time in Barcelona was one for the books. This was my first time studying abroad and flying on an airplane by myself, and I felt very confident going through CIS abroad. They were very organized and they made me excited and ready upon arriving in Barcelona. The activities and the people made me very comfortable and I learned so much by just walking up La Rambla hearing Catalan and Spanish of the people around me.

Best time of my life!

Wonderful adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed all the excursions we went on, all of the people we met and all of the food we ate. I believe I learned and explored so much more than I would have if I went through another program.

Best Summer ever

My summer in Barcelona will forever be the best summer of my life. I had the best teachers and they helped me so much with my language and my overall experience while in Spain. The excursions were wonderful as well.

Barcelona Spain

Studying abroad in Barcelona was one of the best experiences I have ever had. It has made me more confident, more open minded, and more adventurous. It has also caused me to become a better person and I wouldn't change it for the world.

CIS Abroad Barcelona

I had an amazing experience studying abroad through CIS! I was blown away by the amount of interaction between the staff and students, and by how involved the program staff (teachers and coordinators) were in creating the best experience and environment possible for students. Some things I especially liked about this program were the number of extra activities and trips planned for students. They offered things like dance classes, cooking classes, walking tours, and weekend and day trips. All were very well organized and planned out to assure that us students got the most out of whatever activity we were participating in. I also appreciated the coordinators attempts at getting to know us students as well as possible. Each team has mentors and I personally got to know my mentor pretty well, but I also felt very comfortable with other people in the program which I think helped to make the experience even better and more enjoyable. I also thought the program teachers were all great, and they also made a conscious effort to get to know their students personally and give us a really interactive and hands on learning experience. Since the classes were smaller the level of communication, especially in Spanish classes, was significantly higher than what I experience in my home Universities. Classes were very discussion-based and I felt much more confident about my speaking skills. I would recommend studying abroad to everybody I meet now, and when I do talk to people I specifically recommend this CIS program because of how great an experience I had!

Summer in Barcelona

CISabroad did an absolutely amazing job facilitating many inclusive events during my whole 2 months abroad. There were many opportunities to try new foods and activities. I received amazing guidance from the faculty and had an unbelievable summer. Darcy in particular was an amazing mentor.

CIS Summer in Barcelona

I had an AMAZING time in Barcelona with CIS. The instructors for both the program and Barcelona International College were fantastic. I really enjoyed the activities that were planned for us even though we almost drowned trying to go see a castle in the south of France. I only had two or three problems the whole time I was there. Initially I got an email about my housing information letting me know who my host mom was and what the living arrangements would be. It said on my email that I would be in a single room by myself and that there would be 2 other girls in the apartment as well. When I arrived it turned out that I was actually sharing a room with someone else and while it ended up being alright in the end, I was kind of disappointed to not be able to put up pictures of friends and family because of the lack of space. Secondly, I wish there would have been some type of leisure activity for all the summer term members at once instead of splitting us up most the time. A lot of other students as well as myself mentioned that we thought a dinner cruise would be a fun thing to do. Lastly there was a bit of a hiccup with instructors at the end of my Spanish course. We had a wonderful teacher for the whole session until the last week and a half when they switched teachers on us. The new teacher they gave us was very hard to understand and it became very difficult for us to learn because we had already gotten used to our old instructor and our final exam was in a week. All in all I had an amazing experience and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made!

Great Experience

I absolutely loved this program. I felt that I learned so much about the culture through the planned activities and excursions put on through CISabroad. The experience was absolutely unforgettable and I will cherish it forever.

Barcelona

This program was amazing, and the city of Barcelona exceeded my already steep expectations. I chose apartment living, and I enjoyed the freedom and friendships that came along with that. Other students I knew that lived in home-stays had to coordinate more with their host moms, and didn't have roommates to become close friends and adventure buddies with. I can't wait to go back to the amazing city- the people, night life, architecture, neighborhoods, and food were incredible and I'm so happy I got to experience it.

Overall:

I loved every minute of being in Barcelona. The staff made this trip so memorable and did an incredible job in everything they did. They taught us culture and the right amount of information we needed. They were very helpful and you could tell they were so excited for us and the opportunity we had ahead. The only thing I wish, was that our friends were closer together in a near by apartment. My friends were so far away from me so it was hard to meet up and go do things when we don't have wifi on our phones. My sister went to Italy and they gave them all wifi devices so they were able to communicate, which would've been very helpful and easy.

Best month of my life

If i could say anything bad about my time, it was that my apartment had no A/C and it was SUPER hot! Everything else was perfect! I will always remember this trip as the best trip of my life! I have grown so much as a person and i recommened it to everyone.

CIS Summer in Barcelona

Amazing experience, the onsite staff was very knowledgeable and went out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable. Our mentor onsite even took us to coffee several times just to check in with how we were doing, and to give us recommendations for places to go explore, to go out to eat, and to meet more locals. Everything was very organized, and all the cultural activities were really interesting, but also fun, and I highly recommend attending all of them. Lastly, the exit workshop was extremely helpful, because it illustrated how to put this experience on your resume, and how to sum up an incredible experience such as this to future employers, or even simply family and friends and home.

CIS Abroad Barcelona

The experience of studying abroad is not like anything you can imagine. Being immersed in a completely different country really gives you an understanding of different cultures. You even make lifelong friends that are closer than your best friends back at home. The staff of CIS Abroad in Barcelona did a fantastic job with everything. They provide all the tools that are necessary to have a good trip and I highly recommend it.

Summer in Barcelona

I absolutely loved the month that I spent in Barcelona this summer. I wish that I could have stayed longer, but school was calling back in the United States. I highly recommend this program to anyone who has an interest in Spain or Spanish.

Loved Barcelona Abroad

Study abroad in Barcelona was great. My trip was 1 month during the summer and their soccer team had a couple games which is a great thing to watch in a local bar. There are many nice people and the city itself is beautiful. My professors were amazing and made it easy for us to get a grasp on the Spanish language. I would say that 1 month was not long enough for me and I wish that I would have stayed for both sessions.

Included Programs/Trips

The included programs to Costa Brava and Tarragona were awesome! I would highly recommend to keep providing those trips. It was great to see different areas of Spain with the program, rather than spending extra money out of pocket.

spain

This trip was the best thing I have ever done! It was such a wonderful experience and I highly recommend this trip to everyone! It really changes you perspectives on things as well as helps you learn a lot about the city and its history.

A Trip of a Lifetime!

Studying abroad in Barcelona was one of the best decisions I made during college. It was the first time I left the country, and I was alone and scared that I wouldn't make any friends. Little I knew that these people would leave a special place in my heart forever. When I got to Barcelona, on- site staff and interns were there to pick me up from the airport and bring me to my apartment. From there, I met my 5 awesome roommates whom I would live with for 4 weeks. We all went to orientation together, and while they were on the European Experience trip, they immediately included me into their friend circle. While I did most of my social activities with my roommates, we also tried to meet up frequently with other students on the program. Everyone was so willing to make friends because we were all in the same boat. We didn't know anyone and we were in a foreign country- two very scary things when put together.

The academics of Barcelona International College were great. I wold recommend taking intensive Spanish courses so you can really grasp the language and talk to locals. There were also great options for electives, and your professors frequently took you on field trips around the city, which was pretty awesome. The on- site administrative team was also great. They gave us all pertinent information regarding emergency phone numbers, and told us where was safe to go and where we should avoid. They also gave us plenty of advice as to where to visit, what food to eat, ways to get around the city, ways to avoid pick- pocketing, etc. They did a fantastic job of making us feel safe while we were abroad.

My living situation was the absolute best. I lived in a neighborhood called Gracia, which is a cute little area full of local restaurants, bars, and shops. It wasn't touristy at all and I felt as though I could actually live there. I felt safe walking alone at night, but there were plenty of cabs and public transportation, so walking wasn't your only option.

No better way to learn Spanish

On our last night together, me and four other girls I had been with for ten weeks (we went on the European Experience program, this month in Spain was our last location together) got up super early and went to the beach to watch the sunrise. It was beautiful.

Four countries, 2.5 months, 15 credit hours, and it cost less than a semester at my school. Who wouldn't choose this program?

We were lucky to live in a beautiful area. It was a 40 minute walk/ 20 minute metro to school but that's alright, we got to see more of the city! We were also blessed to have both a washer and dryer.. even though we didn't use the dryer!

No Place I'd Rather Be

There is no better way to learn spanish than immerse yourself in its culture. Classes are long-6 hours a day-but every weekend is a 3-day-weekend!

Overall, CISabroad was a good program to study abroad with.

Other than on the previous page where I mentioned the one sour administrator, everything else pertaining to this program was healthy. I have studied through another study abroad program prior to CISabroad and made many mental comparisons between the two throughout this past month. I liked how CISabroad immersed us to the different local foods, even paying for it. I enjoyed the weekend planned excursions. I enjoyed the cooking class, salsa class, etc. However, I was really rubbed the wrong way by one of the administrators. Besides her sour and unwelcoming presence, along with a couple of unorganized, last minute email notices for mandatory meetings, I have no complaints.

Although the teachers are very dedicated to teaching students in such a short amount of time, it is hard to explore the city when we are in school for eight hours a day (including travel time), four days a week.

The only negative comment I have regarding the living situation is the cleaning lady. Although I would consider my roommates and myself to be respectful, clean tenants, she never had anything nice to say to us.

The program did a great job with immersing us to try new foods, however, I wish they would have pushed us to speak Spanish more.

I loved all of the interns. One administrator in particular was not pleasant to work with. She talked to us like we were stupid and yelled at many students. For that reason, I have marked this rating so low. When you are homesick and/or need a little bit of guidance or suggestions, a comforting administrator is what students what, not an administrator who is cold and heartless.

Never had to use the emergency contact number, but it was reassuring to know that it existed. I felt safe in the area in which I lived.

Social Life:
I lucked out with a great group of people to study abroad with, and even better roommates.