CIEE Intensive Chinese Language + Culture Program in Nanjing
CIEE CIEE

CIEE Intensive Chinese Language + Culture Program in Nanjing

Supportive, educational, and challenging

The teachers here in Nanjing put their heart and soul into what they do. So much consideration, planning, and effort goes into the time they spend with you, and they're always trying to think of ways to better their work and themselves too. One of our teachers was giving us tips for how to study, how to approach something we don't know, how to deal with certain unfamiliar interactions up until the last week, constantly trying to improve her teaching abilities and making the time we spent together incredibly effective. Not only are all the teachers in this program very skilled, they are also very warm people, like Thomas said, they welcomed us and we celebrated both U.S. and Chinese traditional holidays together. They push you for academic development, and like Tiara said, they push you for personal development.

To come back to the title of this review, I wanted to make something clear that can seem obvious but wasn't quite so for me. Studying Abroad should/will push you. That is not always a comfortable thing, and there were a few very hard moments, but you will only get out of it what you put in. The teachers and roommates and tutors are very supportive, and you can ask them questions if something makes you upset because you don't know why an interaction happened; there's usually a good reason for it. Don't hesitate to reach out, or accept support. The teachers definitely will check on you -- the classes are small enough they pay a lot of attention and care towards you.

By the end of your time in Nanjing, you will have learned so much, in the classroom, but also beyond the classroom. Nanjing's history as a city goes so far back, and it is a funny mix of both the old and the new, something I love. It honors its past and is excited for the future. You will visit many historical places, some fun, urban areas, and take part in many cultural activities that you could never dream of. And like Thomas said, Nanjing feels very safe. If you like smaller programs with little drama and that have close connections with your classmates and teachers, then CIEE Nanjing fits the bill.

It was an incredible experience, because of the people, teachers, fellow students, and roommates, and because of the places and program structure.

A hidden gem

From day one, the teachers and staff are here for you. They truly make the experience personal and genuine, and will help you work through any cultural difficulties or academic struggles. The program usually consists of a small group of students, averaging 8-10 students. But unlike the other China programs in Shanghai and Beijing, there is no real distractions often accompanied with large cities. The cultural lifestyle of Nanjing is very safe and friendly, being a city mostly comprised of students and the elderly. This perfect location makes for a perfect chance to learn and enjoy the culture which can greatly complement your Chinese language studies. The teachers themselves allow classrooms to become a very inviting space for learning and sharing, and often every semester in this program, teachers and students all develop a deep relationship. Whether you're feeling homesick for the holidays, you have nothing to worry about. We celebrated Thanksgiving and Halloween, and even coordinated unplanned hiking trips with our teachers. As evidenced by everyone else writing reviews, the experience you can have in this program will be among the most memorable because of the teachers and friends that you meet here and the experiences you will create together.

CIEE Nanijing Chinese immersion program

I truly enjoyed studying in Nanjing. The program managed to truly challenge me without leaving me completely overwhelmed. I grew personally, academically, and immensely enhanced my Chinese language skills. The staff and my classmates were all really supportive and encouraging. I'll never forget my time there!

Once in a lifetime experience

CIEE Nanjing was a one in a lifetime experience. I was really worried about coming to China, worried about the language barrier. It is a challenging program but it my Mandarin level definitely increased. The teachers are great and extremely helpful. Having a Chinese roommate and tutor helped assimilate to Chinese culture. I am really thankful for this program, I not only learned a new language but also made life-long friends.

Time of your life

Before I came Nanjing I was already having regrets about studying in China. But since the day I arrived in Nanjing in September to the day I left in December, I had a blast. I would most definitely say that one of the main things that made the program what it was, was the onsite staff. All the teachers are great and they had such good chemistry within themselves and with the students. One of the highlights was the weeklong trip we took, which again I was worried about but the staff made everything go smoothly. Most importantly my Mandarin improved a lot. I'm planning to study abroad in China for another semester and I am highly considering doing this program again.

A year of study and immersion in Nanjing

CIEE Nanjing was definitely the best study abroad experience in my life. Instead of going to the larger cities of Shanghai or Beijing, I decided on Nanjing because I wanted to have a more intimate atmosphere with smaller class sizes. I really got to know my teachers and fellow participants very well and kept in touch since then. I am so happy that I was able to study in the CIEE Nanjing Intensive Chinese Language program for one full academic year. If there is one program I recommend to anyone who wants to improve their Chinese as well as have friendships that will last forever and a great opportunity to travel around China, this is definitely the program for you.