CIEE Intensive Chinese Language + Culture in Taipei, Taiwan
CIEE CIEE

CIEE Intensive Chinese Language + Culture in Taipei, Taiwan

An excellent option for anyone learning Chinese

The staff have been running this program for years, and their experience allows for a smooth transition into the country no matter what your situation. This is especially important if you don't have a lot of experience abroad, because the change of location can be jarring at first if you don't have a good support network. In addition to the staff, many of the local ambassadors have been participating for multiple semesters because of how much they enjoy the program, so you'll have local guides and friends who can answer many common questions and will help you begin your Taiwan adventure.

The Chinese language classes are held by National Chengchi University's Chinese Language Center, while elective courses are taught by CIEE faculty. My Chinese class was tough (5 days a week, 3 hours a day from 8am!) but I definitely improved during my time there. The elective class I took was Conversational Taiwanese and Taiwanese Culture. The professor was extremely passionate about the subject and made the learning as active as possible. Outside of class we would think of words we wanted to learn and write down things we heard people saying, and would bring them back to class to discuss and translate.

I lucked out with the group of students I had, as we all got along very well. There was always something to do with ambassadors and students, so there were very few dull moments.

If you choose the program, be prepared to do some walking though, the dorms are on the side of the mountain behind campus, and all the best food is down the mountain. My homie, the noodle master, in the basement of Dorm 9 makes great food, but sometimes it's good to switch things up a bit.

Chinese study in Taipei

Had a great time and really improved my language skills. The teachers are friendly and work with you to provide a good learning environment. You can easily make local friends to practice with as well, and the program administrators are experienced and know how to give you the best program experience. Definitely recommended if you want to study Chinese in a great environment!

Amazing program and staff, but students are a luck of the draw.

I entered the CIEE:ICLP program knowing what I wanted: to be fluent in Mandarin after 9 months. After a couple months, I can see that my goal is within reach.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. I had several problems the other day and the coordinator sat with me until every single one was solved.

We have great field trips around Taipei and they are always willing to give suggestions. The ambassadors in the program love talking to us and making us comfortable in Taiwan.

However, because all the students are American, it's hard to only speak Chinese since English is our best language. If you get out of that environment then you'll be well on your way to learning the language, however, if not, then you'll be stuck in this perpetual American world in Taiwan.

The people who ran the program were so great!...

The people who ran the program were so great! (Christie and Sandy). They helped us make lots of local friends and I felt very at home from the moment I arrived. I had 3 roommates in one room so the living situation wasn't stellar, but I actually found it nice getting to know my roommates. So for me it was great, although I heard other students wanted more privacy.