CIEE Community Development, Language, and Culture in Iringa
CIEE CIEE

CIEE Community Development, Language, and Culture in Iringa

Real deal immersion

This program is one of the most socially and culturally immersive programs you can be in. It does a great job of allowing students to get in the weeds of the language, the culture, and living situations with just the right amount of support. You're really able to experience Tanzania to the fullest extent, with a safety net underneath you that encourages you to try new things you might not try otherwise.

I can't say enough about the staff in the program. They're really there to push you to soak in Tanzania while also having your safety and well-being top-of-mind.

For those who are adventurous, open-minded, and motivated to experience something new, i highly recommend this program. It's truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Ready.Set.Go!

Choosing to Study abroad in Tanzania has been one of the most remarkable experiences of my life. The program itself teaches you invaluable lessons that will transcend far beyond your academic goals. I am not one to review anything unless I see value in it. If the goal isn't to step-out of your comfort zone and extend your horizon, I would say this program isn't for you. However, if you are someone who is curious about the world, someone that seeks experiences that are opposite of the ordinary, someone that cares about the world's social and economic injustices... then this program is for you! Through this program, I was able to learn about myself, connect with others, gain new knowledge about the world (and of course Tanzania), and most importantly realize that "each society is a prison of itself." Lastly, send my greetings to Justin and Paulo for me when you arrive to Tanzania.

Adventure in Tanzania

Studying abroad in Tanzania through the CIEE program was the best decision I have made throughout my college career. The program gives you an opportunity to be fully immersed in the culture of Tanzania. I was able to eat and cook all different types of Tanzanian food, learn Swahili, develop friendships with the local people, and live out the day to day life. There is a month long homestay component to the program that gives you the opportunity to live with a family in a village in Mufindi. This is a unique experience that helps you to learn so much more about Tanzania and community development than can ever be taught in a classroom. Tanzania is a beautiful country and the program allows you to travel around to see all different parts of it with your group. My favorite weekend trip was the safari in Ruaha National Park. We were able to see lions, elephants, giraffes, zebras, and many other animals in their natural habitat. The directors of the program, Justin and Paulo are what make the experience of studying abroad in Tanzania so great. They help make the group feel at home in Tanzania and help guide the learning experience for each student. The group size for this program is usually smaller and this creates a richer and deeper experience. The people in my group quickly became family and we were able to grow very close throughout the semester. I highly recommend studying abroad in Tanzania through CIEE and pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone. You will fall in love with the country, the people, the program, and the way of life and cherish these memories for the rest of your life.

Karibu Iringa!

I had an amazing time studying abroad in Tanzania! I joined this program because it fulfilled several of my course requirements and my home university was very enthusiastic about this program from what they had heard from one of the previous students. During my studies, I deepened my knowledge about how my majors and minors take place in their actual field, and I gained an extensive amount of skills in speaking Swahili, social research, community programs, and especially development. In your down time, you will eat lots of yummy food, take a few hikes, and hang out with other Tanzanian students. Justin and Paulo are the best at what they do, and they will be more like family that your program leaders by the end of the trip. You will also make a family of friends from your fellow students, and you will come to know Iringa as your home away from home. Making the leap to come here is a decision you will never regret, and you will have so many memories that you can never forget!