CIEE Business and Culture Program in Sao Paulo, Brazil
CIEE CIEE

CIEE Business and Culture Program in Sao Paulo, Brazil

Everywhere is as safe as you make it

Everyone was concerned about me going to Brazil during the hectic time of the Olympics, a controversial overturning and impeachment of the president, and in the midst of a medical scare from mosquitoes. All of these experiences lead to great opportunities to learn the truth about the country I was living in for half a year. However, I was never negatively affected by any of these events as everyone was so afraid I would be. I got bit by mosquitoes, kept aware of my important items at all times, and even went out at night, and returned home with my same phone, great health just like everyone else in the city. But I did return home with a heart that expanded 10 fold because of all of the wonderful people I met, a mind that was even more open than before I came. I saw amazing sights, ate great food, and learned what the term "saudades" really meant. If people are still living in the country, despite the horrible conditions media likes to portray, then the country is probably still livable, and you will have a great time if you make it that way by being alert and accepting.