CIEE Arts and Sciences in Uppsala, Sweden
CIEE CIEE

CIEE Arts and Sciences in Uppsala, Sweden

A unique opportunity for cultural immersion and personal growth

This CIEE program allowed me to truly experience Swedish culture and become a part of the Uppsala University student life, instead of just living as an exchange student in Sweden. The program director, Felicitas, offers constant support and a wonderful course in cross-cultural communication, and plans events and excursions to expose students to different parts of Sweden (from the Stockholm archipelago to the island of Gotland and Arctic Circle). You get the chance to live in student housing (home of the legendary Flogsta Scream) amongst both internationals and Swedes, where I met some of my best friends. Student life is exceptional here, with thirteen nations through which to go to balls, gasques (formal dinners with traditional drinking songs), and pubs, and to work and form lasting friendships with other students. The academics are definitely what you make them to be--Felicitas was really exceptional at advocating for me and making sure I got the opportunity to challenge myself academically as well as culturally. I was enrolled in upper level biochemistry courses, learning lab techniques that my home university did not even offer. Overall, it was a life-changing experience--three years later I am back in Sweden on a Fulbright Scholarship, and Sweden is like a second home to me.

Midwestern guy in Sweden

The CIEE Arts and Sciences Program in Uppsala Sweden was probably the most exciting and transformative experiences of my college career. The program is headed by Felicitas Rabiger who immerses students in Swedish culture and prepares them for what to expect during their stay. The program organizes culturally significant excursions for students to get the full Swedish experience and acts as a strong support network for students, without being overbearing, so students have avenues to go to for problems, while still being able to explore Uppsala, Sweden, and wherever else they may go. During my 4 month stay, I had always felt safe and welcome anywhere in the city. The people there are just as friendly as the city. Most are either other international students or Swedes all of which have different backgrounds and will be very curious to hear about yours. I still have really good friends there which I keep up with regularly over a year later. Overall, I give the program two thumbs up and highly recommend it to anyone who generally want to study in Europe.