Maternal and Child Health in Pune, India
Child Family Health International Header Image Child Family Health International Header Image

Maternal and Child Health in Pune, India

Thanking my lucky stars, thanking them twice

Less than 2 weeks ago I was in Pune India, as a participant of the Maternal and Child Health Program. I spent 4 weeks observing gynecologists, related surgery & procedures (NATURAL CHILD BIRTH!!), pediatricians, clinics in city areas, clinics in rural areas, a hospital run orphanage, and much more. Professionally I've grown more than character limits could allow me to express. I'm not the typical participant, as I am a social worker, so my interest was less in the procedure seen and more in the who's and the why's. Even so, especially so, I feel that this experience has broadened my social work lens. You don't have to be pre-med to appreciate what medicine does and what medicine means in India.
Personally I learned something new about myself. How often an a person say that and really mean it? And truly I really mean it. As a solo participant in this program, that opened up many opportunities, whether it be really trying to capture the language, inventing new ways to make conversation, and now fully understanding what it means to say "just do it". If the 4 year old wants you to dance with them, do it. They say you should climb a mountain, do it. They say try the fish even though you know you won’t like it, do it. Like a Nike ad, just do it. I mean use your caution obviously, don’t be stupid. That being said, chances are you won’t regret it. I didn't regret anything.

If you're considering this program, I'd say you're in the right place.

CFHI Maternal and Child Health Program

This past April I participated in the CFHI Maternal and Child Health program in Pune, India. During the 4 weeks that I was in the program I was able to gain a much better understanding of the major health successes and disparities of this area of the world. The program schedule was flexible which allowed me to work with many different physicians in various settings throughout the city.

I also appreciated CFHI's focus on cultural immersion for the students. The host family and program directors worked hard to provide many opportunities for me to experience India's diverse culture. I am looking forward to coming back to India because I just couldn't get enough.