Intensive: 2- week Public Health & Community Medicine
Child Family Health International Header Image Child Family Health International Header Image

Intensive: 2- week Public Health & Community Medicine

9.0 Overall Rating
9.0 Overall Rating
Verified
Download Information

Location

India: Delhi

Program Summary

Take part in the Global Health Intensive Program offered by CFHI. You will be based in Delhi, the worlds second most populous city.

The program offers public health placements within NGOs that implement social reforms and advance public health through trainings and educational campaigns, with emphasis on the prevention of the spread of HIV/AIDS in India, the management of infectious diseases, and tuberculosis. Program participants will learn about major public health issues in India, such as unsafe drinking water, poor sanitation and waste management, and low rates of immunization. They will gain an understanding of the impact of the countrys caste system, and the challenges of implementing public health initiatives in a linguistically and culturally diverse population.

The program includes the following educational aspects:

- Pre-trip web conference opportunities and orientation materials
- Orientation upon arrival, which includes cultural adjustment exercises
- Weekly meetings with Local ...

CFHI: public health & community medicine in New Delhi, India

It’s interesting how I entered into CFHI’s Public Health and Community Medicine program in New Delhi with a number of assumptions, both concerning study abroad programs and the country of India. At the end of the program, however, I stood corrected. CFHI’s sweet yet concise motto states, “Let the world change you”, and how appropriate. The two-week intensive program provided me with both an educational and cultural understanding of the public health system and in the context of India’s vibrant and dynamic culture. Given the nature of short-term study abroad programs, CFHI allowed me the opportunity and the means to delve into the most challenging issues that exist concerning global medicine, and in a professional and ethical, but above all, meaningful approach. As a young and aspiring pre-medical student, I can state with much confidence that I have been changed.

Better experience than I could've imagined!

CFHI programs appealed to me because they are not for profit and based in partnership and exchange. Their motto, “Let the world change you,” is real and something that all of us in dominant cultures should do more. Being in Puerto with CFHI was a transformative experience. It was helped me to expand my view of community and global health, and see the ways in which our actions in the United States and modern medicine affect the rest of the world.

I was welcomed into the clinical settings and appreciated the ethical approach of CFHI surrounding international experiences in healthcare. Volunteering to "fix" problems in other countries from an ethnocentric position doesn't usually create sustainable change - and often is damaging to communities. I really appreciated how the medical director in Puerto was a public health doctor in the community. Our (excellent) language classes and homestay were through another local business - very professional. My whole experience in Puerto felt like real service learning, and was built upon long-term sustainable relationships between all parties.

My time in Oaxaca was illuminating in that I could see how all different kinds of medicine can coexist. And I also found people that I could relate to, especially in terms of the paradigm shift we want to create. It’s not always easy to merge the old with the new. We need evidence-based practices in healthcare, but we also need the wisdom and knowledge of our ancestors – and we are losing this with each passing generation. We need to reconnect the mind and spirit to the body when we’re working with patients and we desperately need all forms of healing on all levels – from individual to community to global.

Notice: Our website and its third party tools use cookies, which are used to manage, monitor, and track usage to improve our website's services. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to the use of cookies, please refer to our cookie policy.

By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link, or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree and consent to our use of cookies.