Wilderness Guest Ranch Internships
Chilcotin Holidays Header Image Chilcotin Holidays Header Image

Wilderness Guest Ranch Internships

A unique internship

In 2017, I did my summer internship at Chilcotin Holidays in Business and Administration management. I never thought it would bring me so much. It wasn't a regular internship, it is unique to work there, the landscapes are amazing and the people too. When I arrived, everybody greeted me and taught me how the ranch was working. At first I was focus on my schools internship but I understood that this place has a lot to offer. So I worked in the office and as a Rand Hand, in the kitchen and as an assistant guide.

It teachs me that having goals and pupose in life are the keys to your hapiness!
I truly recommend the ranch for the great atmosphere, the nature, and the international community.

Amazing eye-opening internship

In 2017 I came to Chilcotin Holidays for my internship in Business Management. Before I even got accepted, the ranch sends you questionnaires to reflect on yourself and identify your strength, weaknesses, interests and goals. I really liked that, because it helped my to find out if it's the right thing to do.
Once I arrived, the team consisted of interns and long-term staff from all over the world, incredibly open-minded and warm hearted. It was a great atmosphere to work in. They are very supportive in self-development and invest a lot in your progress as you invest in yourself. That helped me to make progress extremly fast and find the purpose of my life, which is nature conservation. Chilcotin Holidays works in corporation with the Wilderness Stewardship Foundation and contributes to supporting stewardship of the South Chilcotin Area.
Other than that I had a blast assisting on Hiking and Horse Pack Trips, after I prepared myself for changing direction. The guests were very open-minded as well and excitited to experience nature as it is.
No matter what you want to work in, Marketing, Finances, Bookings, Kitchen Management, Housekeeping, Ranch Hand or Guiding, if you love living in an international community and nature environment this is the place to go!
You can use your free time to work on your skills in any field, depending on the circumstances you can organize staff hikes or rides with amazing views or just enjoy the peaceful ranch atmosphere.

Contact me if you have any questions! :-)

Prepare to work hard and follow procedures

I was working as an intern at Chilcotin Holidays in March, but poor working conditions and prior agreements not being met, made me leave early. Prior to my arrival I had a contact saying I should do a forestry management internship, but upon arrival I was told to work with office administration and if I wanted to work with forestry, I could do it in my spare time. On top of this I was working from 10 am-8 pm and expected to standby on my days off. The accommodation is very basic and in the summer months you stay in old tents. I would not recommend going to Chilcotin if you don’t have a burning desire to become a horseback guide. It’s all about the horses! Make sure you have your agreements set before arrival and prepare to work hard and long hours everyday.