Volunteering with Endangered Species up close and personal
Cheetah Experience Header Image Cheetah Experience Header Image

Volunteering with Endangered Species up close and personal

There are times when you have the feeling you need to do something to, for lack of a better phrase, recharge your energies. For me, this proved to be the place to go and I would not want to miss the experience ever.

Interesting work

Very friendly staff and very interesting work. I was however reminded at all times of the precarious situation in which this type of endeavour is subject, from a political, financial and social point of view. Also, I belong to an age group which renders social interaction with the other volunteers (mostly young students) awkward at best.
My best memories are the time spent with Nova, Aurora and Ollie.

Damien's review

I had a wonderful experience in Cheetah Experience! I am so glad to have taken part in the volunteering programme, which brought to me a truly unique and unforgettable experience. If you're still hesitating to take part in the volunteering programme, I strongly urge you to take the leap forward and go ahead with the programme - you are going to love it!

My experience at cheetah experience

2 years ago, I was a volunteer at Cheetah Experience. One of my friend ask me, if I wanted to go there with her. I didn’t really know, what it will be, and also what I will find.
And now, I can say that it was one of the best experice I ever had. I splept with a cheetah, I didn’t know it was possible. During 2 weeks, we had a chance to interact with many animals, and when the work it’s finish and time to go back home, we made a fire camp next to the house, and had really nice time with all volunteers and staff members.
2 weeks was really not enough, I wanted to stay more. I hope one day I could go back at Cheetah Experience, and live again a wonderful trip.
Thanks to all volunteers who had made my days funnier again and again, and thanks to all staff members who were really cool, and really patient.
Keep doing what you do, thanks again, and I hope to see you soon.

Volunteering at cheetah experience

I volunteered at cheetah experience last year for two weeks. It was amazing! I learned so much about the animals through all the hands on experience and the staff. The staff do a phenomenal job! Everybody was incredibly nice, informative, and professional, they treat you as if you were family. I recommend cheetah experience for anybody who loves animals. I will be returning again for 3 weeks very shortly.

To sleep with cheetahs.....

the most amazing experience in my life. to get to interact with the animals daily has been the experience of a lifetime. I've been there for a total of five weeks over two summer's and am planning to return next summer again. the accommodations are great, the cook superb, and the friendships made with people from all over the world treasured. the staff take amazing care of the animals. the only drawback for me was the long days. I am not used to being physically active all day, and it was tiring. the animals are so well-loved and well-cared for that most love company and interaction, altho sometimes a fence separates us. a bucket list item for every summer I am able!

Amazon expérience!

I absolutely loved my time at Ashia! The farm is beautiful and we enjoyed a different sunset every evening from the volunteer house stoep. While there was still a lot of construction while I was at Ashia, it was great to see the progress made in that time span. There were a lot of different activities to do on my days off (wine tasting, abseiling, hiking, festivals, visiting Cape Town,...) The animals were all amazing and Zeus ended up stealing my heart! I can't wait to come back to Ashia!

Cheetah experience

Very good experience. Came back after my first time at the project because I fell in love with the animals, and how the work at the project is done, and because of how many nice and dedicated people that work there.

Amazing

This was my 3rd visit to CE. It is amazing how close you can observe the animals and where possible how you can experience interaction with the animals. The staff is working very hard to make every volunteer at home so everybody can have a wonderful experience. I will go back.

Loved it!

Do it, this will be the experience of your life. Years have passed since I was there, and still not a single day goes by without me thinking of it. It was amazing! The people is so friendly, and its so exiting to work up close with the animals every day.

Thank you Riana for creating this place.

Once in a lifetime...

Thanks for this 'once in a lifetime' (cheetah) experience. I've really enjoyed spending my time with all animals and especially the cheetah cubs Alpha, Ava & Anya.
I can fully recommend this beautiful experience.

Wonderful time and a once in a life time experience

I spent two weeks at Cheetah Experience and I enjoyed every minute - so much I extended my stay for another week. The team is very passionate and creates a wonderful, once in a life time experience for the volunteers. I will come back!

My volunteer experience

I remember my three weeks at Cheetah Experience as being some of the best of my life. I couldn't have asked for a better time, or to have met better people. The animals were incredible and I wish I could have stayed much longer. It's truly inspiring what the people at CE do on a regular basis and it's a place I hold close to my heart and will definitely return to one day.

Volunteering

My stay at Cheetah Experience was an eye-opening, heart-warming, amazing experience. I have always loved animals, and especially big cats, so coming to a safe haven provided for these beauties was life changing. I am so amazed about the good work that is being done here, and I will keep supporting it, and keep coming back here to meet up with the staff and the animals.

Lovely place

This is a very lovely place where all the animals get lots of love, attention and all the care they need. The Volunteer Programm is well organised and there are lots of returning volunteers which speaks for itself. All the staff is very friendly and helpful and make the stay a memorable experience.

Amazing experience

Had a great time at cheetah experience, only had 2 weeks but it was enough to get to know the animals and other volunteers, really enjoy getting stuck in and preparing the food etc. Loved how many different animals were at Cheetah experience too!

Cheetah experience

3 of the best weeks of my life. Met some amazing people and some incredible animals. You get really up close and personal with the animals as well as learning lots about them. The staff are lovely and the volunteer house is awesome. Once in a lifetime experience. Everyone must go!

Sanctuary for living

A really good experience with a team who loves their animals and respect their Wild side . It’s Like a second family . Very nice interaction with the animals and also between all the volunteers Who come from all over the world.

Volunteering at Cheetah Experience

It was 3 years ago and my first experience working with wildlife in South Africa, I keep some great memories of my interaction with the resident carnivores, the daily routine, but also meeting committed volies from all over the world. The animals were well cared for but there is no evidence of any attempt of rehabilitation as breeding, surely, should lead somewhere. Retrospectively, although I have no doubt that the project had good intentions, I would not describe it as fulfilling. Indeed, I would rather volunteer in a project that keeps rehabilitation as its main focus. The staff was very friendly and showed genuine commitment, but I could not see where the project was leading to. It is a good beginner project but I would not recommend it to people looking for more ambitious conservation goals.

• Cheetah Experience responded to this review April 06, 2018 at 10:59 AM

3 years ago be were actually not even 8 years old. Do you know that there are project that is over 40 years old that only released 2 cheetahs. We want to release cheetahs and we are going to. The yearly cost to release a cheetah will be about R200 000.00 per year. We need caring people like you to contribute to this to make it happen.

Amazing experience

I had an amazing time and learnt a lot about big cats. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. The animals definitely come first and very well cared for. You get hands on experience and feel like part of the team. Definitely recommend this project!

Cheetah Experience

I spent 3 weeks at the cheetah experience in 2016 and it was the most amazing experience I’ve ever participated in. I would urge anyone to go make sure they stay at least 3 weeks. As 2 weeks wouldn’t have been enough.
The house you stayed at with the other volunteers was fantastic. It was homey and a fun environment. The food was great! You had breakfast and lunch provided for you everyday and you get eat the left overs for dinner if you wished. And you were taken to the shops twice a week for groceries of your choice.
The workers were fantastic and cared so much for the animals. I learnt so much about not only true animals but myself being there. I got to teach tourists and locals about canned hunting and the beautiful animals I got to look after. I would love to go back if I had the chance! Would greatly recommended it to anyone who wishes they want to participate in a great cause.

Experience of a lifetime

I fell in love with Cheetah Experience the minute I arrived there. Working with these amazing animals is such a privilege. Animals always come first at Cheetah Experience, which is why I gave up my job and started working here!

An experience for older volunteers to mix with younger volunteers. No discrimination

I spent 3 weeks on this project. It was nice to not have an upper age bracket, as most projects do. All volunteers live together in a big house, shared rooms, big kitchen and nice pool to cool off in. Breakfast is self service, lunch is cooked for you and dinner you cook yourself.

You are taken to the supermarket so you can buy your weekly shopping.

Day to day activities range from, food prep, clean enclosures, gardening, fixing stuff general farm work, my favorite was being a tour guide, this meant that when you got paying guests visiting the farm you would take them on a tour of the farm and explain what all the animals did how they got there and all facts about the different animals.This suited some volunteers more than others the older ones generally liked it more than the younger ones.

In the evening sometimes we get together and go out for dinner in town have a few drinks and have some nice food.

Your day will start early, I think it was about 8 o’clock at the farm, might have been slightly earlier and would finish at 5 o’clock in the evening, this will be for six days out of seven, sounds a lot of work but is very enjoyable and doesn’t feel like work if you’ve got the right attitude.

If you’re going that play with the animals and sit in the sunshine then volunteering isn't for you.you need to contribute to the project to get the most out of it.

Cheetah experience staff made daily task manageable for all levels of fitness and abilities. They were very good at helping volunteers with physical or mental disabilities, nothing was too much trouble as long as you have the right attitude and get stuck in.

Excellent volunteer program

I had a great time at Cheetah Experience and came back twice; the team is very nice, animals very well looked after and they do a great job!
Time there is quite busy, with a lot of involvement in the life of the place, which is great!

7 amazing trips and counting

Having volunteered numerous times at CE since 2011, I can not recommend it highly enough. The staff are amazing and the balance between work and free time is good. The work is sometimes challenging but it is all for the good of the animals and the volunteers attitudes and work ethics make it easy!