Global Educators Semester
A woman on top of a mountain A woman on top of a mountain

Global Educators Semester

Study abroad to Cuernavaca 2018

I believe there were many factors that placed a part in my overall experience during my time in Mexico. I loved meeting new people, the other students have turned into some my strongest relationships I've ever had. I also loved being with my host families, they taught me so many lessons and made me feel home away from home- especially the amazing food. They really care about you and want you to be happy. However, I do with wish there was a way to coordinate less excursions so we as students were able to receive more time to get more culturally immersed into the culture and to be present. I didn't love living far away from the school campus (about 20 minutes), but on the other hand I was able to see more of Cuernavaca and learn how to maneuver my way around. I loved working in my practicum where I was able to teach at a premaria (elementary school). I can't wait to return to Mexico as soon as possible, the locals know so much and learning more Spanish opens up so many doors for you. Knowing some before hand was a life saver and you can share fun stories with your families- it's a great time to bond.This trip taught me to be more independent and take control of life at the reigns and enjoy it all. A semester can be a long time to be away but it was the best thing I could do for myself in order to grow and be the person I've always wanted to become.

I felt that I was able to learn a tremendous amount this semester from a variety of different sources. I think the most valuable parts of the experience were the homestays, guest speakers, and excursions, which introduced us to a really honest perspective on life in this setting. The only really detracting parts were the academics that were at all disconnected and overwhelming, that took away time and energy that could have been devoted to more useful things.