Work at Camp in Canada
Camps Canada Header Image Camps Canada Header Image

Work at Camp in Canada

• Professional Development

Camp fire, the grand finale of a great day.

I am an elementary school teacher back home, and I truly enjoy spending time with children.
That is why during the summer time I always look for opportunities that allow me to keep doing what I like the most, at the same time that I can get that little adventure sensation of going beyond your own comfort zone while traveling and meeting people from other cultural backgrounds.

During my placement in Canada I got to experience a different, yet equally effective outlook for teaching. The outgoing and enthusiastic atmosphere at camp makes possible a sometimes hard to achieve combination> Recreational education, where creativity plays an important role.

Without a doubt, one of the most enjoyable moments was when it was time to gather around the camp fire, someone would take out the guitar and we would sing along.

• Professional Development

Going once, going twice, going...back again.

I guess it can be all resumed as an Enthusiastic and Adventurous Experience, full of passion for the outdoors. I really enjoyed the summer-time like a child, working by playing with other children. I have done this experiential learning program in Canada twice now. First in Vancouver working as an English Language Teacher & Counselor at a language camp, and last year in Toronto as a Program Area Director. I am thinking of going back again next year as I believe that I am now well suited to working for a longer season, and as I am seriously considering of taking a gap year.
I guess one of the aspects I enjoy the most is that each day at camp is an action packed day where you are able to literally feel the energy and positive vibe all around, as the environment is created by similarly motivated people who are committed to providing an unforgettable and meaningful camp experience for the young people attending Camp. For many, the experience of a life time!

Spring, summer * fall at a Canadian outdoor education centre

I loved to participate with Camps Canada as it is a highly motivated program, full of passion about working with young people, travel and the outdoors.
I am an occupational therapy student with a great interest in experiential learning and facilitating others to meet their potential in all areas of life. I value the benefit of ‘occupation’ or meaningful activity for individuals to enhance their health and well-being. I feel that this experience has highly contributed valuable aspects for my personal and professional development, and kept me motivated while assisting young campers to meet their goals. From making new friends, trying new sports and building confidence and for some, speaking a new language.
I can assure that in such a great camp atmosphere, everyone feels included and has a positive experience because it turns people into an enthusiastic, empathetic general mood

This role certainly involves communication to overcome challenges organizing day-to-day events
But also keeping in mind at all times the importance of being someone who will listen to campers who may be feeling homesick or having other concerns at camp.

I completed the six months placement and was possible to get credits as part of my undergraduate degree
The Senior staff members demonstrated to be flexible and maintain a professional behaviour at all times and did a great job with problem solving and interpersonal skills.
I enjoyed learning all those new group dynamics and community building games, and for sure I learned a lot through the processes involved in running and guiding a group of people.

I won´t deny that at some points, is necessary to work under pressure as residential camps run a full schedule program, from dawn to dusk and beyond! So it can be quite tiring.

• Professional Development

Row, row, row your boat.

My experience in Canada lat summer definitively has contributed a lot to my development as an integration aide and rowing coach. Thanks to my 8 week placement in Ontario I managed to develop stronger skills applicable to working with children and youth.
I believe this experience coupled with my passion for sports and music and easy going but hard working personality helped me to perform the daily tasks which can sometimes be demanding physically and emotionally. Specially since I was designated to a Special Needs Camp where I had to cater for special needs kids from primary school to year 9 in many different situations.
I guess my favourite part of it all was when I was acting as the rowing coach.

• Professional Development

It´s fun and also rewarding.

Taking part in Camps Canada I believe has given me the necessary skills to be a great camp counselor and role model. After a 30 days placement, I enjoyed being a camp counselor, a music teacher and I got to improve my english language skills to a point where I really got to relate to the rest of the team with whom we created an awesome atmosphere for the campers and to our own delight!

I consider that my biggest challenge was at the same time the most rewarding experiences, as sometimes is the hardest job having to deal with homesick junior campers, but to provide them with an ear that listens and a little piece of advice can flip things around.