6-Month Outdoor Education Diploma
Camp Europe Header Image Camp Europe Header Image

6-Month Outdoor Education Diploma

What a way to spend a summer

What I expected from the Internship was to spend lots of time outdoors and work with people and especially kids from many different cultures. Afterwards i can say that I got so much more than that. The work in camp is a good way to test out your strengths, get to know your personal weaknesses and work on them. I personally enjoyed the most leading the high ropes course or taking care of food and logistics. It makes you take over responsibility and improve the own time management.
Yes, a day in camp can be quiet long at times but you will recognize that even after the most exhausting day, a few minutes at the camp fire before sleep can keep the stress away and make you wake up with a smile and new energy every day!

Intense time

I like to think about a saying that came to me during a camp session: "And at the end of the days your hair should be messy, your feet dirty and your eyes sparkling." Well thats something i probably experienced every night.
The days were tiring, no question. We got up super early and went to bed way after midnight. There was not much time I spent by myself doing any kinds of leisure activities I used to do at home. And there were times I questioned myself what I am doing - for example when I saw us preparing the camp ground and building huts in the mid of march when it was freezing cold outside, doing a high ropes training in hail, messing up dinner for 200 kids and cleaning the kitchen during high season until midnight.
But those were the moments when I grew. I learned to know my strength, but figured out that there were quite a few weaknesses as well. I improved my english, got more comfortable in leading groups and learned to deal with stressful situations. I got to know people with complete dissimilar backgrounds. They showed me to see life from diverse perspectives and to deal with it differently. And I learned to enjoy quality time for the best.
There were way to many of those quality moments to retell all of them. I definitely had quite a few of them during the hikes we went on with the kids. During those hikes we slept on fields and in forests and cooked an outdoor meal over the fire. Unforgettable to me is especially a 120km hike to the ocean, which we accomplished with seven teenagers without eating. Neither will I forget the morning we watched the sunrise from the peak of a mountain in Austria. Or all the great nights at the camp fire, when we were playing guitar and silly games and watched the Australian dancing like aborigines. To make it short, I wouldn’t want to have missed any second of it. But it’s probably something you have to experience by yourself.

Survived ;)

Its up to you, if you will survive in a good way or in a bad way. After all, i survived in a good way because i was ready to be a part of this crazy team and summer :D I could develop different skills, in different fields. There are to great points: first of all, i could improve my english and the second point is, that i met so many people form many different countries and cultural backgrounds and this kind of mixture made my summer :)

Outdoor Diploma

Different than expected but especially because of the climbing skills I gained and the many friendships that grew up worth the time. Personally I got a lot more confidence in speaking English and leading groups. One thing you will definitely learn is wing things just as they come and stay relaxed no matter how chaotic a situation gets.