Construction Volunteering in Costa Rica with Build Abroad
Build Abroad Header Image Build Abroad Header Image

Construction Volunteering in Costa Rica with Build Abroad

Pura vida

This has been a very rewarding and humbling Volunteer and Travel experience and I'll be talking about this for years to come. I met many other Volunteers on the Construction project, as well as countless locals and tourists. Some have become my close friends who I hope to always stay in touch with. My host family was so kind, cooked me the most delicious meals, and even had the patience to teach me a lot of Spanish! Their home was so beautiful and a short bus ride away from the construction project.

During the construction project we had a breath-taking view everyday! Although many tasks are labour intensive, it was balanced by the care-free attitude of Costa Rican people. Volunteer time was four hours at the most, with frequent breaks. The short days meant there was a lot of downtime to explore other locations and participate in all the tourist-ty activities. The highlight was white-water rafting! The rapids was SO MUCH FUN! We also had time for a swim in the calmer waters. It was so great just to soak up the sun, float in the water, and really enjoy the beauty of the surrounding rainforest.

I hope by writing this review I will inspire others to contribute to communities in need by volunteering in similar, mutually beneficial travel experiences. Although the primary goal is to help those in need, you also learn a lot. It has filled my heart and soul in ways I did not imagine. One of the big benefits of community service is that I was able to understand the Costa Rican culture on a much deeper level than I would as a regular tourist. Costa Rica's care-free "Pura Vida" way of life has helped me put into perspective the stark contrast of the busy, North American, "hustle-hard" culture. It has been such a great balance of work and play, I hope to continue this balance in my home in Canada!