Bright Light Volunteers Header Image Bright Light Volunteers Header Image

The Cambodia Reborn Expedition

Life will never be the same

I don't know that I will ever look at the world in the same way after traveling to Cambodia with BLV. We truly learned about culture, the world, and humanity through our service work. We taught monks English each day, we worked along side locals to clean up an ancient pagoda, we helped at an animal sanctuary, we assisted building a water well, and we bonded with a people despite language barriers. In addition, we admired the beauty of Angkor Wat, the delicious food, and the gorgeous vibrant culture of Cambodia.

More than a volunteer trip

Volunteering in Cambodia was the best week of my life. I really felt like I was making a difference with the things we were doing. I'm so grateful to have had this opportunity and will never forget my experiences in Cambodia.

My experience in Cambodia

The Cambodia experience was a perfect blend of service work and fun. My favorite part of the service work was teaching English to monks and local students every night. We also worked to help clean up and paint at the school/ monastery where we taught. Being able to be there every day of the week we were in Cambodia was very impactful as we developed relationships with the locals we saw on a daily basis and could see their English improve in just one week! Other service projects included helping to finish a water well for a village, helping with a bio-digester, and planting trees. In helping to finish the well I do feel that we made a big difference for the village, however, it was harder to see the immediate impact with the bio-digester and tree planting projects.

In addition to working hard, we also had the opportunity to tour Cambodia. We spent an afternoon on a lake tour, did a quad expedition, and of course visited Angkor Wat. We also has plenty of time to shop in the local markets! The food and accommodations were great too!

I am so glad I got to experience Cambodia!