"Into the Volta" Ghanaian Adventure
Bright Light Volunteers Header Image Bright Light Volunteers Header Image

"Into the Volta" Ghanaian Adventure

Life changing

My volunteer trip to Ghana was very moving. It changed my life forever. I appreciate everything I have so much more and I learned to love everyone and everything. The villagers taught me to not care about what you don't have but instead to enjoy life and help others. This was an amazing trip, I am extremely grateful I was able to experience such a life changing moment. I know I am going to continue to try and make a difference in the world.

Most amazing trip ever

As a parent of a student who volunteered, Bright Lights did an incredible job from start to finish. My daughter's experience to Ghana was definitely life-changing for her and a lifetime experience she'll never forget. The people of Ghana were extremely welcoming & appreciative of the work accomplished. It is such a great feeling knowing her group made such a difference across the world. The Adanu group was fabulous in keeping the families posted with their travels despite us being clear across the globe. So excited to see all the beautiful smiling faces of the villagers as well as our Chico group. It's my dream that many more students have the opportunity to experience what my daughter has. Thank you Catherine & the BLV Team!!

Joining our Ghanaian community

Our Chico team of volunteers worked together with the Agodeke village community to construct school structures. We were accepted into the village "family", teaching classes, providing manual labor and interacting with all of the beautiful Ghanaian children and their families. Face to face contact with people around the world establishes mutual respect and understanding of our respective cultures. Global friendship is thecroad to global peace (Fafa).

Life changing

This service trip with BLV was outstanding. Our day to day activities blended both eyeopening cultural experiences in the village, and breathtaking tourist destinations. Every activity ran smoothly thanks to both BLV and Adanu. Once we completed the pee room and helped build walls for the classroom, we all felt a great sense of fulfillment knowing that we would enable children to further their education. One of my favorite times of the day in the village was learning all of the Ghanaian games and also teaching the kids some of our own games. I feel as if we were able to teach the kids many things, but I think I learned more about Ghana from our short time with them then I would have taking a class on Ghanaian culture. I definitely plan on traveling with Bright Light Volunteers again.

Building a school and making friends in Ghana

My title covers everything my group did in Ghana very vaguely. My group went to Ghana to start a school building (so that the kids there would be able to study in a better environment with better tools) and to build a pee room, which is exactly what it sounds like. However, while we were doing that, all of us also built friendships with many of the kids. It was extremely hard to leave everyone there, and we all cried our hearts on the last day. Overall, going to Ghana was a fantastic trip, and all the staff and trip leaders were amazing.

Ghana adventures

The trip was very well organized and went well. Placement in the Ghana community was ideal in terms of immersing our team within the true culture of Ghana. There was slight miscommunications about what we were there to build, but we felt that the funds raised were well spent on the betterment of the village and, most importantly, the education of youth within the village. The food options provided represented Ghana culture while also catering to the various dietary restrictions we had amongst our group so everybody felt well fed! The sleeping arrangements were comfortable and safe. My only recommendation would be to ensure access to bottled water and not any other water sources that have not gone through filtration similar to that of what we are used to in the states. In the event other water sources (bagged water etc) are presented, BLV team leaders need to request bottled water if group members complain of the taste or possi le issues with the water. Overall the trip was an amazing life experience!