Brazilian Experience - Internship Program
Brazilian Experience Header Image Brazilian Experience Header Image

Brazilian Experience - Internship Program

Brazilian experience

I loved my experience in Brazil! Not only I was able to get hands-on experience in my field, but I also got to know different places, food, and culture! Brazilian people were very welcoming and friendly. Our host family made us feel at home and people at work were very patient and understanding with our lack of Portuguese training. The program's local coordinator also checked on us and was willing to help us with anything we needed. Overall, it was a great experience! I would highly recommend Brazilian Experience to any student who is open-minded and want to get experience working for an industry.

• Brazilian Experience responded to this review October 10, 2017 at 2:36 PM

Thank you for your review, Andrea! We are glad you were able to enjoy your internship and feel like home in Brazil. We wish you a bright future!

Invaluable experience

Brazilian Experience provided an excellent opportunity to gain valuable work experience through and international internship. They were extremely kind and had answers to all of my questions. They placed me with a wonderful company where I had the chance to apply my knowledge to real world projects, and all of the people at the company treated me with respect and made me feel welcome. Also, they placed me with a great host family. They truly made me feel like family, and invited me to a variety of parties and family events. If I ever had any concerns, it was simple to reach out to one of the program coordinators via email, Facebook messenger, or WhatsApp. If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't choose any other organization. The people and culture of Brazil is amazing and I never felt alone or fearful because I knew I could quickly and easily contact Brazilian Experience.

• Brazilian Experience responded to this review October 03, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Hi Brett, what a warm review! We are glad to know that you felt safe and supported while taking the most of your experience in Brazil. Hope to see you again in Brazil, Texas or somewhere else in the world.

Curitiba

Brazil is full of wonderful people, beautiful street art, and several beautiful parks. If you are wanting to travel abroad I strongly suggest this program and this city. You will constantly see amazing artwork all over the city, there are endless things to do during the day, and night, and I promise you will meet some of the kindest people in your life. Curitiba also has a very big night life as well, and I definitely suggest going out and experiencing some of their bars and clubs. There are several cities close by that you can travel to, and a beach just one hour away.

I had a great experience in Curitiba. I interned for a company called Lactec Institutos where I researched acoustic emissions, and wrote a multivariable Matlab code that returned the exact source location of any acoustic emission. I learned a lot about a subject I previously had no knowledge on, I was able to network with several engineers, and gain real world work experience in the engineering field. Because of this internship I have gained a new interest in mechanical engineering that opens completely new job opportunities for me in the future.

I also learned a lot of the Portuguese language. I do not speak it well, but I am able to read and write a lot of the language. I read and write in Portuguese every day because I keep in touch with my host family, and friends. The best part of my international experience were the friendships I made. I lived with a huge, and kind host family who only spoke Portuguese, but that did not get in the way of us becoming close to one another. They treated me like family, and in return they feel like family to me. I miss them dearly. Every single day I made new friends that introduced me to new foods, and places.

While I was in Brazil, I also got to travel to a couple other cities – Rio de Janeiro, and Foz do Iguacu. I swam in the ocean while in Rio, and while in Foz do Iguacu I visited Parque Das Aves – a beautiful bird sanctuary. While I was in Foz do Iguacu I was able to go over to Argentina and see one of the seven wonders of nature – Iguacu Falls National Park. Iguacu Falls is the most breathtaking place I have ever seen. I spent eight hours hiking through beautiful waterfalls, and getting to see adorable wildlife. While in Curitiba I was able to visit several parks, including a Ukrainian memorial park, and I even got to stand just a couple feet away from a hundred to hundred and fifty pound, wild rodent – the capybara. I had an intense cultural experience that I am absolutely grateful for.

The program coordinators are caring, and friendly. They go out of their way to ensure you are enjoying your time there, and that you feel safe and comfortable there. They have events every week so there is always something to do and if you have any questions or concerns you can drop by the office or send them a text.

I intend on returning to Brazil after I graduate because there are still many places I would like to see, and of course I want to visit all the wonderful people I got the opportunity to get to know and love. This international experience to Brazil has changed me for the better. Life feels brighter, and happier. I no longer take the small things for granted, and I always remember to tell my family and friends how much I care for them. Brazil is full of wonderful people and if you are wanting to travel abroad I strongly suggest this program and this city.

• Brazilian Experience responded to this review October 03, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Bobbie, you are so sweet! I'm happy to know that your internship experience was so good as your personal experience. One of the best things we can take from living abroad is the strong connections we make along the way. Hope to see you soon in Brazil again.

Internship in Curitiba

I had a great time on my trip to Curitiba, Brazil. My internship was awesome and directly related to my major and is going to help me a lot in my next semester at school. I still keep in touch with so many of the awesome people I met in Brazil and I miss it so much. Rafaela, Thais and Sarah were all so sweet and helped me with everything I asked! They went beyond that too and invited me and other interns to social events. The city was beautiful and I never felt threatened or unsafe and the public transportation was really easy to use once you understand it. Overall, my trip was just the best and I can't wait to go visit again!

• Brazilian Experience responded to this review October 03, 2017 at 11:23 AM

Spencer, you're so nice! We miss you! We're glad to know you enjoyed Brazil and your internship, we will be waiting for your next visit!

Most Rewarding experience

I spent two months in Curitiba Brazil working at TETO, which is an ONG that helps the less fortunate community to organize and improve the quality of their life. Working at TETO not only helped me to grow as a civil engineer but also to be more knowledgeable about my surroundings. As an engineering student, I learned that everything that I will do and design has the purpose of improving people's life and during my time in Brazil I learned that in order to be a better engineer I also need to understand those needs. Besides my academic experience, I will like to add that my time in Curitiba was extraordinary.
I always felt safe and people around me were always supporting and caring. Brazilian experience has a wonderful and friendly staff that is always willing to help you if you have any problem or concern. Also, the host sister that I got assign was wonderful, she was friendly, took care of me and worried for my safety all the time. I was surrounded by wonderful people who made me feel like home during my entire time in Brazil.

• Brazilian Experience responded to this review October 03, 2017 at 12:44 PM

Dear Minerva, we are so happy to know that your experience in Brazil was so enriching and that we were able to be part of that. You will always be welcome to visit us again.

Memories made

Every part of the experience was fun. Brazilian experience in Curitiba was very helpful in getting situated as well as having many fun events. My host family was perfect, they were Very fun. The internship itself was very interesting and taught me professional skills.

• Brazilian Experience responded to this review October 03, 2017 at 11:25 AM

Querido Xavier, we are happy to know that you were able to take to most of your experience in Brazil. Hope to see you again in Brazil, Texas or somewhere else in the world!

Corporate finance

My experience is Brazil was a life changing event that has helped me to this day. It has helped me in finding work in the EMEA sector and has given me life long friendships that I'm in contact with to this day. All in all a fantastic experience I would recommend to anyone.

An experience that still lives on

Don’t even think about it. Just do it. My Brazilian study abroad experience, was a pivotal moment in my life, where I was able to better discover myself, and gain a fresh attitude and perspective.

In 2012, I did an internship placement, and stayed with a local family in Curitiba, Brazil. I was able to transition into Brazilian life so smoothly, that Curitiba, became my second home. I am passionate about everything Brazil. It’s now my third time back, with all due thanks to Brazilian Experience.

An unforgettable experience

My experience as a BE exchange student was life changing. This was made possible by the incredible family I was matched with, the smooth transition assistance provided by BE, and the beautiful country and people of Brazil! The BE team made it a priority to make sure I felt comfortable, safe, and that I was enjoying my experience to the fullest. Thank you, Brazilian Experience!!

Brazilian experience is the BEST experience!

Rafaela & her team are great. BE is one of the most supportive & accommodating programs I have ever experienced. There were a few unexpected changes during my program both on the housing & internship sides, but BE was seamless with their assistance. The entire trip was smooth. Not only does BE fulfill the requirements of the program, but they are very helpful & flexible with any general interests, last minute debacles, & even random shenanigans from us more spontaneous people. Even if BE cannot help directly they find the information you need to do it on your own. The response time & friendliness is impeccable.

Some things my group appreciated most:

1) BE's willingness to help us plan unscheduled extracurricular excursions (I mean you cannot go to Brazil and not travel at least a little bit!). We were based in Curitiba, but Rafaela & her team helped us plan trips to Morretes, Foz do Iguaco & Floripa and even gave us insider tips for our pending trip to Rio de Janeiro.

2) BE's enthusiasm to teach us about Brazilian culture while still honoring & incorporating our home culture. For example, we celebrated Festa Juninho AND the 4th of July. With BE no question is unanswered, no question is too stupid, & there are never too many.

3) BE's attention to detail & flexibility. My internship was perfectly suited to my major & interests. It was convenient & the people were great. On the flipside, I remember one guy's supervisor quit one day at this internship and basically left him hanging. BE had a new placement for him within a day or two and he was able to complete the academic requirements with no problem & still had a positive experience.

4) BE is not just a faceless company, you could always reach someone. The BE staff, the homestay families, & even Rafa came and hung out on numerous occasions and made sure we had exactly what their name implies: an EXPERIENCE.

My trip was in 2012 and I still keep in touch with Rafa, her team, & the great people I met along the way. To this day, my trip with BE is still one of the best experiences of my life & I am quite the adventurer! :) My only regret is not being able to go back and visit more often.

My experience In Brazil

My experience in Brazil was amazing! It was beyond my expectations. I was placed with a host family that was great and truly made me feel at home. I Interned with a company that was related to my field of study and I learned so many things. Working in Brazil helped me gain initiative and forced me to be able to adapt to any working environment. The food in Brazil is AMAZING, and the culture is so great that it makes you feel as if you were Brazilian. Thank you so much BE for creating an opportunity for me to experience the Brazilian culture and grow as a person and a professional!

Curitiba internship

I did an internship through Brazilian Experience in a non profit organization in early 2016. The experience was great! Prior to my arrival I was sent lots of useful information regarding my internship and Brazil in general as well as Curitiba. BE organized fun events such as an authentic Brazilian churrasco! The staff were friendly and welcoming and helped with things such as getting bus cards and finding Portuguese classes.

I enjoyed the internship itself too. I was allowed to use my creativity and share my culture and experiences to bond with students. During my stay I met loads of fun people, got to travel around Brazil, enjoy the carnival and make new friends around the world!

Internship with Hraifa Logistica in Curitiba

I have always been interested in living abroad and learning foreign languages. During my undergraduate studies, I majored in Global Affairs, with concentrations in both Global Governance and Latin American studies. Given my interest in learning Portuguese and my desire to obtain experience in international business, I decided to apply to study abroad in Curitiba through the Brazilian Experience program. The program was brand new for my university (George Mason) when I had applied, and myself along with another student were the first from Mason to go to Curitiba as part of the program.

For housing, I was placed with two brothers (Everson and Helerton) in their 20s who lived in an apartment in a nice neighborhood, about a 20 minute bus ride from the city center. I got along very well with both host brothers, and they showed me around the neighborhood and how the bus system works to get around the city. One of the host brothers spoke English, so getting settled was very easy, and after a few weeks, I was able to practice Portuguese with them.

The program began with a two-week intensive Portuguese class, and given that there were only two of us doing the program at the time, we received a very hands-on learning experience. Our professor, Dani, did a great job of preparing us before our internships started! After our internships began, we would meet once a week. The language school was in the downtown area and only about a 15 minute bus ride from my host brothers' apartment. I was placed into an internship with Hraifa Logistica, a small international import/export business. The placement was exactly what I was looking for when I had applied, and I really enjoyed interning with Hraifa. I had not had any professional work experience prior to the internship, so I wanted a placement that would give me a chance to try out a form of international business and see how I liked it.

The head of the program, Rafaela did a great job of making sure I was settled in both my homestay and the internship. No one in the office spoke English, so at first the task was a bit intimidating; however, the experience really pushed me to develop my Portuguese skills, and in the end was much more rewarding for that reason. My supervisor, Ailton was extremely welcoming and would always take the time to explain different aspects of the business, show me around the area, and would always get lunch with me each day, to make sure I was enjoying my time there and getting the most out of the internship.

Following the completion of my undergraduate studies, I began looking for jobs where I could utilize my Portugueselanguage skills and gain more experience in the private sector. I ended up applying for a research analyst position for the Brazilian financial markets in New York City. I was interviewed for the position in both English and Portuguese and received an offer from the company. I spent 2.5 years working there, and on a daily basis, I was required to read, write, and speak Portuguese. I decided to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area, and obtained a position working as a Corporate Governance Research Associate for the Brazilian and Latin American Markets, where I utilize my Portuguese language skills on a daily basis as well.

Without the experience and knowledge obtained through the Brazilian Experience program, I would have never been able to achieve the success that I have been able to in my career. I highly recommend their internship program. I could not have imagined a better experience!

John Reidy

Internship at a Research Institute

I did an internship with Brazilian Experience at a research institute in Curitiba in 2015. During the internship, I worked on an environmental research project with Brazilian colleagues. The work was mainly desktop based, but we visited a research collaborator every couple of weeks with my colleagues. The work was exactly what I wanted to do to improve my professional and language skills. Having this internship on my CV helped me to get hired in an international company afterwards.

The internship was very well organized by the organization Brazilian Experience. Before coming to Brazil, we exchanged several emails to coordinate the arrival and the formalities together. They answered to my questions very fast and thoroughly. We also received an information package before arriving, so that it was easier to take care of the formalities. Once in Curitiba, Brazilian Experience organized a Welcome evening for all interns. We learned about the cultural differences of our countries and got to try Brazilian pastry and sweets. During the internship, someone from Brazilian Experience contacted us regularly to check if everything is going well.

When I had health problems during the internship, someone from Brazilian Experience was always there to help me go to the doctor. They took good care of us interns.

All in all, I really recommend going to Brazil with Brazilian experience. This is an organization that you can trust.

Internship in Curitiba

The internship was an excellent way to experience Brazilian culture while gaining valuable work experience. I truly enjoyed my job and met wonderful people at work. Thanks to BE, I always felt like I was looked after and knew that I had someone to contact if I needed help with anything.

Study abroad/internship experience in Curitiba, Brazil

I spent about 4 months in Curitiba, Brazil with the most amazing Brazilian host family, who soon became a second family to me. I was given the opportunity to intern at a Brazilian company and to interact with Brazilians while learning cultural differences through being immersed in the job culture. I also took Portuguese classes, and had an amazing teacher who made my experience learning Portuguese enjoyable and easy! I was able to travel throughout the country and visit beautiful places. Overall, my experience in Brazil remains one of the best memories that I have had in my life. I am so glad that I decided to come to Brazil, and I thank this program for giving me this opportunity! If I could, I would do it over and over again.

Thanks to Brazilian Experience

Was a great experience. Living the culture through friends, colleagues at work, and people which you can know in whatever place you can go in the city.

I did this internship during my vacations of my MBA program. I really wanted to know Brazil due to my preference for the culture and that was my opportunity. Finally, thanks to Brazilian Experience, I prepared the baggage for visit Curitiba - Brazil.

At the beginning, I was excited to know Brazilian people. The happiness and confidence values which are knowing for citizens in the country. Then I was interested in music, cultural and academic topics which you can find on libraries and documents around the city. There are a lot of things to do, just you need to be clear your target plan. For example, in my case, I like to visit parks, museums, library, read books and research about the history of the city and the great architecture buildings there. As I said, you can find all you want, just need to search or, more important, ask people like supervisors or managers of Brazilian Experience they were great partners and supporting my request during my travel.

Finally, I really recommend this program. Brazilian Experience is a good company which supports in any requirement and the most important for me, is because I really knew great, lovely and professional people who you can establish a friendship for all your live. Thanks a lot.

Volontary internship in Foz do Iguaçu

My experience during 3 months in Foz was amazing. The work by itself was okay, I made a lot of translations and participated in projects and workshops. What I was missing was the Portuguese language to get a bit more about the experience professionally. But Polo Iguazu was a great place to see different tourism companies and possibilities to work in social and sustainable tourism projects... the experience motivated me a lot for future plans and gave ideas. Also the team was really nice and helpful with everything! I would definitely go back if I get the chance!

Amazing experience

This program was surreal. Rafaela and everyone involved in BE is amazing and they really assigned to the organization that best suits your interests. I had an excellent time at Instituto Life, from a biologist's perspective. Also, this program not only provides you an amazing academic experience, but you also receive an invaluable experience studying abroad, especially learning about the Brazilian culture and country. Those 4 months were by far my best time during my undergrad years, and the only thing that I regret is that I could not spent there any longer. Brazil in general has plenty of festive occasions and touristic attractions that you must visit. And you must visit when you get the chance. School and work can be flexible enough that you will receive such time. One thing is for sure, You will get it all, culture, language, once in a life time experience.

Wonderful opportunity!

Interning abroad was one of the best decisions I have made. The program partnership was great, my internship placement was tailored to my educational background which gave me a great boost to my resume. Portuguese classes were educational and fun which helped immerse you into the culture.

The opportunity to spend the summer in Brazil was an incredible and positive experience. I would strongly encourage you to apply for this program and start making your own memories in the amazing country of Brazil.

Fun and professional

It was really fun when going out with other interns from the program, and also BE placed me in a really good and professional company where I made really good friends. In the company, I learned a lot from them and they learned a lot from me too. Overall an excellent experience.

Abroad in Brazil

I really enjoy my time in Brazil. Especially because the staff in the program help me adapt to a different culture and they would always had events for us to do in a daily basis. I really recommend BE for future students that are planning to do an internship abroad!

My best experience, was a Brazilian experience

Oi sangue bom! My name is Elvis Diaz, I was a 21 years old from Long Beach, California. I went to Brazil when I was 19 to get some real world experience working as an intern with World Study in Curitiba. I loved the company that I worked for and all the help from B.E. They were phenomenal. Rafaela and João really thoroughly check to find the correct host family and internship for you. I lived with two brothers one 19 and the other 25 years old. It was the best! I still talk to them all the time all my friends from work. Remember to tell the truth, when applying for a family ;-). My experiences, well, lets say it was a roller coaster ride. All positive, just some low points and high as with any experience going abroad. There is nothing anyone can really say or write to give you a an idea of what Brazil, is however in the words of Marquis de Pombal, ” Be careful in Brazil, because that country increases in everyone the spirit of ambition and the relaxation of virtues.”. From my point of view, Brazilian Experience was a great experience. Rafaela and João are awesome! Email me if you have any questions whether it is about Curitiba, Brazil, or you want to speak with someone that went through Brazilian Experience.

Brazilian experience

Overall my experience with Brazilian Experience was wonderful. It was a life changing adventure that I will remember and cherish for a lifetime. The company they placed me in was great, and their guidance throughout the trip was very helpful and useful. I had my own living arrangements planned, so I cannot comment on that part, but the other students who were there said they enjoyed their housing arrangements. The only complaint that I have is the representative I was in communication with went on vacation about a month and half before my departure date, and when I had to get my visa and a lot of paperwork for my trip, I felt like it was a lot of last minute scrambling, because we lost a week and a half of communication. Everything worked out in the end, but my advice would be tell people that they will need to travel for a visa more than a couple weeks before their planned trip.

Great

I loved it. This was a really great way to open my mind and grow as a person. I lived with a great family that was very supportive and the work environment was very welcoming despite the language barrier. Overall I wish I could experience this again from the beginninng and this motivates me to go beyond the limit.

• Brazilian Experience responded to this review October 03, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Thank you for your review, Israel! We are happy to know how important this experience was to you.