Beacon Fellowship for Business
Beacon Fellowship for Business Header Image Beacon Fellowship for Business Header Image

Beacon Fellowship for Business

Great opportunity

This Fellowship allowed me to work on a real project with a real client to do something potentially very high-impact. The consulting group was an awesome mix of people and perspectives and the program was well coordinated. The location is incredible any time of year and the group outings were a blast. A great balance between meaningful work and fun.

Say yes

When I heard about this opportunity I was unsure if I should take part. Now, I am glad I saw it as an opportunity and said yes. The Beacon Fellowship is an opportunity to challenge yourself, learn, explore, have fun, make connections, and step out of the classroom to learn from real business problems.
When opportunities knock on your door say yes. If you have the opportunity to become a part of The Beacon Fellowship family, say yes. I call it a family because from the second you step off of the plane the only people you know are those you will be working with. At least that is how it was for me. Not only did my group get along very well during the trip, but we continue to stay in contact today. I describe it as a family because we spent hours working together that then turned into late nights talking and sharing with each other, that then lead to meeting up with each other while in the United States.
The connections and the people are icing on the cake. The learning and experience is the most important aspects. My program leader set objectives that we talked about as a group to find who was best suited to tackle each specific challenge. These goals were no easy and were specific, but I still had room for a creative approach. The program leader was well educated and experienced in consulting and would take opportunities to teach the group different topics and consulting tips and tricks. This was very useful because I had no experience with consulting and with those little teaching moments I truly did learn. The project was exciting, challenging, and was really needed by the non-profit we were helping. Our client was very excited for what we offered. To me, you do not learn as much about business in classes over a semester as you do with a week in the real world.
Being able to immerse myself in a different work culture was amazing. The difference between the working hours of Spain compared to the USA is something you need to experience.

Finally, to recap:
the people I worked with challenged me, supported me, encouraged me, confided in me, and became close to me.
The program leader was experienced and very fun. He was respected and loved. He gave us a lot of knowledge about consulting and how to work with clients.
The tasks were fun, challenging, and meaningful. They offered an outline but allowed me to create my own results in my own way.
The culture was unique and exciting.
At the end when we presented we were offered internships in Spain and also in the United States.
The Beacon Fellowship has my full recommendation.

An experience that continues paying off after it's over

I came into the Beacon Fellowship with the expectations of working with highly motivated students in a professional atmosphere and receiving valuable experience on a real project for an organization. All of my expectations were blown away. I keep in touch with the people I met, both as friends and professional contacts. My experience there has been one of the most powerful activities I have referenced in interviews with top consulting firms, research institutes, and consumer goods companies. In short, the experience was highly translatable to business work in a variety of areas, and is THE qualification which I would identify as having set me apart from other applicants for jobs and internships.

Highly recommended to motivated and adventurous!

I was so impressed by the drive, enthusiasm, and knowledge of the other participants and was inspired by them to take my own pursuits to the next level.

Meeting with leading business people in Madrid offered me some international perspective and insight on business, consulting, and finance. Travelling is not only good for broadening personal horizons but professional ones, too. There is something about being in a foreign setting that stirs imagination, creativity, and innovation.

In an increasingly globalised world, it's essential to have international experience. Thanks to the Fellowship, our visits with business leaders as well as our cultural excursions were well organized, which made it easy for us to learn a lot in a short, intense period.

An elevated fellowship for ambitious students!

Any venture in business, consulting, or finance which fails to recognize that these endeavors are ultimately about helping people flourish is inherently myopic. I know of no other fellowship that appreciates and builds upon this principle better than the Beacon Fellowship for Business.

This fellowship aims to elevate the individual by recognizing that we are intimately connected to our communities and the world. Consequently, Beacon first aims to bring together a group of individuals who are diverse in thought and experience, yet united in ethics and virtue. The group is then submerged in a community abroad which simultaneously encourages unity and individual exploration.

The foreign cultural element is absolutely essential to this program, because exposure to diversity equips the observant mind with new insights into the human experience. These lessons help fellows embrace new cultures, as well as their own, which ultimately empowers them to be more effective servants of humanity through business, consulting, and finance.

Beacon accomplishes so much in just a few weeks due to synergy among ambitious fellows and insightful instruction from foreign professionals. As the world becomes increasingly international, American students have much to learn from foreign professionals who have engaged in international business as a matter of necessity for many years. These insights are invaluable to rising young professionals who posses the desire and character to be future leaders in business, consulting, and finance.

Incredible experience

I don't usually give full 10/10 ratings, but this program earned it.
When the opportunity to embark on the Beacon Fellowship presented itself to me, I was hesitant at first – primarily because I was so late to the game, and had to make a go-or-no-go decision in a matter of a few days. Beyond vague generalizations, I had little idea what to expect, and still less confidence in my ability to thrive in the program and turn it into a truly positive window of personal and professional development. But with Emerson’s famed exhortation in my mind’s ear – “Do what you are afraid to do” – I punched my ticket to Madrid.
Writing this memo the week after the trip, I can say without hesitation that I made the right call.
I harbored admittedly few concrete expectations, true; but my adventure in Spain could have shattered expectations ten-fold greater than my own. Together with my peers in the Beacon program, I was able to experience the local culture on every level: from the way daily life is carried out and how the world is viewed, all the way down to the rich history of the place – captivatingly expressed through the very art and architecture that permeates nearly every line and angle of the public space. Add to this the occasion to sample the uniquely delectable local cuisine, and it becomes a nigh-irresistible proposition.
But these are elements which would be present in most any variety of international travel. What stood out to me as an unmistakable advantage of the Beacon Fellowship specifically was the opportunity for professional growth and maturation. We came face-to-face with a new market possessed of its own singular economy, and were forced to think outside the one-dimensional framework necessarily instilled in a person – no matter how smart – when confined to the sphere of their own country for too long. We connected with and learned from top industry professionals across the board – including partners of the boutique wealth-management firm Zechman Capital and representatives of the MBA programs at Instituto de Empresa (IE) and Instituto de Estudios Superiores de la Empresa (IESE), respectively the second- and third-ranked business schools outside of the United States.
In all these remarkable aspects of the program, it would be easy to overlook the one advantage which may yet surpass all those prior: the Beacon Fellows themselves. Your comrades in this program, the young professionals with whom you share your adventures, will invariably be highly ambitious, extremely motivated, surpassingly intelligent, and riotously fun. If this sounds like the type of professional colleague and personal friend you’d like to have, there is no better environment to find them than from among your Beacon Fellowship peers, and the unforgettable overseas excursions which you share together present the ideal furnace in which to forge your friendship.
Needless to say: I’d do it again.