International Business & Humanities Semester Program at UAB
Barcelona SAE participants facing Barcelona city Barcelona SAE participants facing Barcelona city

International Business & Humanities Semester Program at UAB

Life-changing

I made the decision to study abroad with BarcelonaSAE less than 2 hours after hearing about it. I didn't really know where I wanted to go or what to expect by studying abroad, but once my advisor showed me the webpage for BarcelonaSAE, I was all in. I requested more information, and was immediately contacted by friendly and helpful staff through the BarcelonaSAE network and was blown away by how easy they made everything. My roommate even decided to go with me on this adventure! We got to Barcelona and saw the INCREDIBLE apartment we would be staying in while there--I already knew I'd love it there. The first week had a lot of orientations on how to adjust to the new culture that were amazingly helpful--we even got to try different foods that were common in Barcelona so that we'd know what to expect when we went out to eat. Every week I was there, there was at least one activity to do with other people from the program that would introduce us to new aspects of the culture and life in Spain--it also helped me get to know others from the program as well, people that are still some of my closest friends. I kept waiting to have culture shock hit me while I was in Spain, but I don't think it ever did because I felt so at home from the start! Having to leave Barcelona and the way of life I came to know and love was the first time I ever regretted going there, and it was only because I hadn't signed up to stay even longer. BarcelonaSAE definitely helped me grow as a person and the experiences they helped me have in Spain helped me plan more for my future. I now work in the Study Abroad Office at my home university helping other students to pursue incredible opportunities like the one I had--I hope to one day be able to work as an advisor for a program as outstanding as BarcelonaSAE.

Study abroad

My time spent in Barcelona was the greatest semester of my education, and quite possibly the best 4 months of my life. Using Barcelona as a home base, I got to travel all over Europe with some awesome people. I wish I never had to leave and I think about going back every single day. The staff at Barcelona SAE was more than accommodating and a great resource for me to get the most out of my trip. I highly recommend studying abroad in Barcelona. The architecture and culture in the city is inspiring for the soul and captivating for the heart. Its a great location for travel around Europe and an even better place to call home for a while. Just reminiscing about my time there gives me goosebumps and puts a smile on my face. I hope anybody interested takes the opportunity and runs with it!

Just go, don't look back

Last November, I found myself stuck in a routine that I was not satisfied with. I wanted to experience all that life had to offer but didn't know how to. One late night I found the Barcelona SAE program and knew this was my ticket to the world. The staff was wonderful with making sure I got into the classes I needed and we set to go when I departed the United States.

The only con I have about the program is, when I arrived at BCN I found our group and the staff to take us to our new home. An advisor ordered me a taxi cab with another student. When I arrived to the apartment, I quickly discovered that the apartment I was sent to was not my apartment at all. Thankfully I purchased an international phone data plan and was able to call the emergency number right away. After traveling for over 24 hours, I was absolutely exhausted and had to wait on the European streets alone, with my luggage and hope that a taxi cab was sent to take me to the right apartment.

That was the only road bump I faced and had an incredible time! I absolutely loved the location of my apartment and my host family was very accommodating. A tip to anyone considering home stay or independent apartment. I wish I would have picked the apartment instead of the home stay. My host family was great and so were my two other roommates, but I quickly discovered I am more independent than I thought. I think the home stay option is great if you are nervous about acclimating yourself to a different environment. The apartment option is great if you want to meet a bunch of other students and have a group to explore the city with right away.

The school was also in a perfect location! In between classes the city was ours to roam. Nothing like taking a lunch break in front of Casa Batllo or strolling down to the Gothic Quarter for gelato then right back to class! I took an international marketing course that was absolutely phenomenal! We worked all summer on an international business plan to present to the class. At the end of the summer, my professor pulled me aside and encouraged me to continue on with my research and make it into a real business proposal.

The best part of it all was the people that I met. Within my program, I met friends that I know I will stay in contact with for the rest of my life. Together we explored all the city had to offer; museums, night life, cuisine, and much much more. Together we traveled to a new country every weekend and even caught a Barca game!

To anyone considering all I have to say is: GO

Best summer of my life.

UAB study abroad review

I had a fantastic time in Barcelona over these last six weeks. I thought that the program staff did a phenomenal job caring for and supporting all of the interns and students on the trip. I will definitely recommend this program to people at home.

The Experience

One of the best experiences of my life shared with a group of people who I will always call my family.

Great experience for anyone!

Studying abroad with Barcelona SAE was the greatest choice I've ever made. The staff is extremely personable and very dedicated to its students. They do a great job of balancing culture and education within the wild city of Barcelona. There's so much to do and see in Barcelona and Europe that the only complaint I heard was that its time to go home.

I would recommend Barcelona SAE to anyone with a pulse.

Choosing SAE and Barcelona were the greatest decisions of my life, and I owe everything to the wonderful staff and the great city of Barcelona. The staff truly makes your experience a personal one. You really get to know the leaders and they have all kinds of fun excursions planned for you to get better acquainted with your fellow program members, Barcelona, and other beautiful Spanish cities such as Granada, Madrid, Tarragona, and Girona. If you are seriously contemplating studying abroad, you would be foolish not to choose Barcelona and the SAE program. Barcelona SAE changed my life. Allow them to do the same for you!

My advice is that you choose Barcelona for the right reasons. Don't choose Barcelona just for the night life, the clubs, the alcohol, the Spanish women, etc. Sure, all those things are great and you will have the time of your life but those things wont stick with you forever and they wont make a difference on your life. You can get hammered anywhere in the world, but you only have a brief opportunity to truly embrace the Catalan way of life and learn from the people you come in contact with. Choose Barcelona for the rich history, the beautiful landscape and architecture, the people, FC Barcelona, culture, life long memories and the time of your life!

Also there is a ton to do outside of school. Barcelona is considered to be a mecca for skateboarding world wide, and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. Let me tell you, I wasn't disappointed. I spent everyday skating all over, familiarizing myself with the city. I spent so much time in the streets of Barcelona that I got to the point where I was more comfortable in Barca than in my hometown. Outside of skating with my friends, I would go to the beach (Barceloneta) and play volleyball and throw the frisbee around. I also love to travel so I would spend most of my weekends outside of Spain. You can fly really cheap throughout Europe, and I took complete advantage of it. I am a die hard FC Barcelona fan so of course I attended many a game haha. The Camp Nou was all I expected and more, the atmosphere is unmatched. Just imagine 100,000 Catalan supporters exploding! I also made it a point to really get to know and interact with the different barrios and people of Barcelona. There are so many beautiful neighborhoods and sectors of Barcelona that have there own traditions and history, and I really loved exploring and discovering the differences between each. My room mate and I found a really cool International Church called the ICB that we got plugged into, and I found that made all of the difference. We had a men's bible study group that met every Tuesday night and a home group consisting of young adults all over the world that met every Thursday night just outside the city in Les Planes. It was such a blessing finding a group of people that believed the way I did in such a foreign city. I spent a lot of time going to church functions and activities throughout the semester and I really feel like a grew as a person during my time in Barcelona.

I attended the UAB. I had 12 credit hours at the UAB: Spanish for the business, Spanish Civilization and Culture, and 6 hours of Spanish Language. The thing I loved most about my "SAE" was being able to really grasp a sense of culture. It was unbelievable living somewhere with such rich history and tradition. In order to get the most out of your "SAE" I suggest living with a home-stay family. I loved my host family and I sincerely believe my time in Barcelona wouldn't have been as beneficial if I lived in an apartment or student housing. Every night you have the opportunity to have a sit down dinner with your host family and work on your Spanish. I owe the majority of my Spanish progression to my host family. Also, you may have the opportunity to learn some Catalan! Barcelona is an international hotspot so you will see such a mixture of people and cultures. It really is unlike anything else.

When you step outside your door into the beautiful streets of Barcelona you will really feel like you are living, you will find purpose. I know it sounds dramatic and cheesy, but who cares. Choosing to study abroad in Barcelona and going through the SAE program was seriously the greatest decision of my life! You have the coast of the Mediterranean to the East and the foothills of the Pyrenees Mountains to the west and you are within an hour and a half flight from every major city in Europe. What more could you ask for?