BI University, Israel: Conflict Resolution Summer Program
Bar-ILan University  Header Image Bar-ILan University  Header Image

BI University, Israel: Conflict Resolution Summer Program

A positive experience

My name is Carmona Bila, MA in Diplomacy Law and Business in particular Studies of Politics of Israel by O.P. Jindal Global University in India. I am Mozambican from Maputo, capital of Mozambique where I did my bachelor in International Relation and Diplomacy by High Institute of International Relation, in Portuguese, Instituto Superior de Relações Internacionais (ISRI), and Identity Based Conflict Resolution Course was a single opportunity for me. I heard about this course through my Prof. Khinvraj Jangid, teacher of Israel and Palestine Conflict and researcher at Jindal Center of Israel Studies at O.P. Jindal Global University.

I resume this course in four weeks of full studies, wonderful trips, great debates, internship in NGO ‘Windows for Peace’ in Tel Aviv Jaffa, along with good social experience with Israelis and Palestinians in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Acre, Golan Heights, West Bank, Nablus, Samaria and many villages of Palestine. My academic experience was positive, since I had already learned about Israel, its history of conflicts in the region and neighbors, the social life view was new and complementary for my knowledge. I had deep understand of conflict resolution from bottom up perspective and operation of resonance and alternative dispute resolutions. My expectation was complete and the program was well organized, however, I think that accommodation need to be included in the program.
The trip to Jerusalem was the most interesting point of the summer program for me. This city is full of emotions and will be the continuously the desired city. I felt the real tension and divergence caused by the wall in ‘east Jerusalem’ or ‘west bank’, mix of faith, hate, passion, fear, love, confidence, violence, and peace depending of each person impression. My internship was excellent I meet people from different parts of the world, many pacifists and peace makers from Israel and Palestine. I cannot forget my classmates, very good and lovely people, my teachers and all friends I made in Jerusalem.

Finally I recommend this program to people interested in conflict resolution to participate in summer program in Identity-Based Conflict Resolution in English at Bar-Ilan University in Israel. Those who want to know more about Israel and Palestine conflict, historical monuments and places, about the conflict resolutions and peace building, about the role of NGO’s and the life in Israel, come and join in the next summer, this is the right place to spend your summer vacation.

Great program

I enthusiastically recommend this program to anybody interested in gaining a broad, multi-faceted understanding of conflict resolution or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict specifically. The faculty are passionate about their work and bring diverse perspectives and skills into the classroom. Professors are approachable and make time for students outside the classroom; we even went to some professors’ homes as part of a series of extra-curricular events. Teaching styles are a nice, lively mix of lecture, seminar-style discussion, and hands-on activities. Israeli Jewish and Arab/Palestinian guest speakers presented fascinating stories and ideas in the classroom and on field trips.

This the sort of intensive program with a small group of students that creates a lot of opportunities for students to build close relationships with each other; you’ll find yourself eating meals and hanging out with other students outside the classroom. Students this year were a wonderful mix of people from the U.S., Europe, Africa, South America, China, and Israel itself. (At the same time, there’s plenty of opportunities for getting to know Israelis in the neighborhoods surrounding the campus, especially if you arrange for a homestay as I did.)

Last but not least, they provide a great selection of Israeli pastries for classroom snacks!

Professor of Anthropology, Wayne State University, Detroit, USA