[Pre-Med] Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Portugal
A woman in Greece A woman in Greece

[Pre-Med] Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Portugal

Worth every penny!

I loved the Atlantis Project! Getting to go abroad was incredible, but the shadowing experience was unforgettable. I was able to see a variety of specialties and observe anything from emergency room consultations to surgeries. Seeing so many specialties really gave me insight into what I am and am not interested in, in the medical field. I also especially loved our Excursion Days where our amazing Portuguese site managers would take us to see the most popular sights, and even shared some awesome restaurants that only locals know of. I also really appreciated the Pre-Health advising. We had a student from Harvard Medical School sit down with us and help us plan our applications and how to plan out studying for the MCAT. Our group also had the opportunity to participate in ethics seminars where our advisor would discuss ethics issues with us to help prepare us for future Medical School interviews. While the program is pricey, the experience was truly unforgettable and I made some incredible friends along the way.

My experience shadowing in Lisbon, Portugal during summer 2017!

The Atlantis Project provided me with an experience that left me knowledgable, cultured, and with a lifetime of memories! I shadowed doctors in both clinical and surgical settings, and despite the language barrier there was always someone working hard to help me understand what was happening. I was treated with the utmost respect by those around me at the hospital, and this allowed me to learn even more than I ever have in a classroom setting. On our off days, we got to go on either guided excursions or plan trips of our own. The guided excursions and dinners introduced me to a new world of diversity which ignited a passion in me for travel that I didn't know I had. The free time we had to make our own plans allowed me not only to explore the country but to do so with new, amazing friends that I plan to keep in contact with for a long time! This trip is 100% worth it, it enriched my life in so many ways.

Shadowing abroad in Lisbon, Portugal

I spent five weeks shadowing doctors in Portugal's largest hospital center, immersing myself in Portuguese language and culture, and meeting a bunch of amazing people! This was a truly valuable experience that I believe strengthened my understanding of international healthcare and my desire to become a physician. In addition, I received very helpful pre-health advising that improved my medical school applications and interview skills. I would highly recommend the Atlantis Project to any pre-health students interested in traveling abroad and getting hands-on hospital experiences.

Barcelos, Portugal 2017 adventure!

The Atlantis Project offered the greatest experience I could ever ask for and more. Traveling abroad for the first time was scary, but the best rush I ever felt. The hospital I shadowed in created a wonderful environment for my other fellows and I. for three weeks, I shadowed doctors in Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Pediatrics, and Surgery. We had weekly excursions and weekly dinners. My fellows and I bonded for three weeks in Barcelos and also traveled on our own to other bigger cities in Portugal. We all picked up on a few Portuguese sayings and learned the history. We attended museums, historic castles and monuments. I strongly suggest looking into the Atlantis Project, it creates an adventure and a new bound of freedom.

Great experience!

This program allowed for a lot of experience of day-to-day life of multiple doctors of different specialties. It also gave a very relaxed schedule that allowed the fellows to get to know the city and the culture. For being the first summer they had in Lisbon, things did not always go very smoothly. Some doctors were not completely informed on what the fellows were doing and attempted to get us to interact with patients which was forbidden. However, for the most part the doctors were very eager to teach us. I learned a lot through this program and at the same time I got an amazing abroad experience.