Destination: Med School. A summer that helps you get there.
Atlantis Global Atlantis Global

Destination: Med School. A summer that helps you get there.

My life changing experience

Being apart of Atlantis was one of the best the decisions of my life. I spent 2 weeks in Horta, Portugal where I was able to shadow in the departments of cardiology, radiology, emergency room, and general surgery. The best part of this experience was being able to interact directly with the doctors and learn from them. In addition, the other fellow and I were able to go on a hike, visit an aquarium, visit an neighboring island, and explore the island of Horta which allowed us to learn more the Portuguese culture.

Life changing adventure

This was my first time going to Europe so my initial thoughts about the trip were beyond over my head. When first arriving to Portugal I received a warm welcome from my all of my fellow peers along with my site managers. My first three weeks of shadowing were more than I ever expected. I spent three weeks in surgery and from what they told us we were not even guaranteed to see a surgery so I was very happy about this. My last week wasn't as interesting considering I was in internal medicine which a lot of my fellow peers agreed that this was the least interesting rotation. Atlantis made this experience incomparable to anything I have ever experienced before. The culture that we were introduced to was incredible along with the food. Our excursions every week were beyond amazing and we went site seeing to places there were unforgettable. Lastly, I would like to acknowledge the site managers that were assigned to us. They were truly amazing people and made my experience over seas that much better.

Shadowing doctors in Portugal

My experience with the Atlantis Project was life changing. It was my first time abroad and the staff were so helpful prior to the trip and the overall experience was amazing! I learned so much from shadowing the doctors and gained so much insight about so many things that I did not know about Portugal. I also met amazing people whom I am still friends with till this day. OH and the food was amazing!!

[Pre-med and MD] shadow doctors 20+ hours/week in Portugal

I cannot thank the Atlantis Project enough for the opportunity for the experience I was provided. After four weeks in Lisbon, Portugal, I walked away with not only a lifetime of memories, but with a true understanding of what it means to be a doctor, no filters. The best way to learn is to be thrown into the thick of it, and that is exactly what the Atlantis Project provides. As someone who is both passionate about my goal to become a doctor, as well as a love to traveling, this is the perfect marriage of the two interests.
While I was in Portugal, I shadowed doctors in both surgical and clinical settings in the departments of anesthesiology, orthopedics, neurology, and OBGYN. Prior departing, I was concerned about the language barrier since I had no pre-knowledge of Portuguese. However, while I was in the Hospital, I found many doctors spoke English and actively aided in translating what procedures were being done and helped me understand all that was going on.
In my free time, I had opportunities to do so many fun excursions. I got to learn how to surf on some of the largest waves in the world, I went deep sea fishing off of the most western point of Europe, and got to try so many unique types of food. I made such great friendships with the other fellows on my trip. I absolutely recommend the Atlantis Project to anyone who is passionate about serving as a doctor or any other health oriented career.

Atlantis fellowship in Lisbon, Portugal

I spent four weeks this past summer in Lisbon, Portugal through Atlantis. I had heard wonderful things about the Fellowship through a roommate who had attended the previous summer. After looking further into it, it seemed like a perfect fit, since studying abroad had been nearly impossible as an exercise physiology/pre-med major. The application process was easy, and my admission decision came quite quickly. The staff I spoke with were all so friendly and made the process enjoyable. When deciding on attending the program, I had multiple options for locations and duration, which I also appreciated.
The trip was absolutely incredible, from the excursions, to the travel I was able to do on the weekends when we had days off. The experiences I had in the hospitals were also once in a lifetime. Although I came in knowing barely any Portuguese, I realized quickly that medicine is so universal, no matter what language you speak. Some of the doctors were so inviting and helpful in teaching us as much as they could during our time with them. Our site coordinators were also incredibly helpful and accommodating with each and every concern we had. Whenever we had an issue with housing or in the hospitals, they immediately did what they could to fix it. They took our feedback to heart, which was relieving.
The Atlantis Fellowship is now an experience I can speak to in my medical school interviews, and thus far, it has been a great speaking point when asked about the experience I have had throughout my college career. I am also now an alumni ambassador, which has been a great way to stay connected to Atlantis Project. It has been a pleasure getting other students interested in the medical field involved with this program.
Below I have attached some photos from my Fellowship. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Great experience!

This program allowed for a lot of experience of day-to-day life of multiple doctors of different specialties. It also gave a very relaxed schedule that allowed the fellows to get to know the city and the culture. For being the first summer they had in Lisbon, things did not always go very smoothly. Some doctors were not completely informed on what the fellows were doing and attempted to get us to interact with patients which was forbidden. However, for the most part the doctors were very eager to teach us. I learned a lot through this program and at the same time I got an amazing abroad experience.

Worth every penny!

I loved the Atlantis Project! Getting to go abroad was incredible, but the shadowing experience was unforgettable. I was able to see a variety of specialties and observe anything from emergency room consultations to surgeries. Seeing so many specialties really gave me insight into what I am and am not interested in, in the medical field. I also especially loved our Excursion Days where our amazing Portuguese site managers would take us to see the most popular sights, and even shared some awesome restaurants that only locals know of. I also really appreciated the Pre-Health advising. We had a student from Harvard Medical School sit down with us and help us plan our applications and how to plan out studying for the MCAT. Our group also had the opportunity to participate in ethics seminars where our advisor would discuss ethics issues with us to help prepare us for future Medical School interviews. While the program is pricey, the experience was truly unforgettable and I made some incredible friends along the way.

My experience shadowing in Lisbon, Portugal during summer 2017!

The Atlantis Project provided me with an experience that left me knowledgable, cultured, and with a lifetime of memories! I shadowed doctors in both clinical and surgical settings, and despite the language barrier there was always someone working hard to help me understand what was happening. I was treated with the utmost respect by those around me at the hospital, and this allowed me to learn even more than I ever have in a classroom setting. On our off days, we got to go on either guided excursions or plan trips of our own. The guided excursions and dinners introduced me to a new world of diversity which ignited a passion in me for travel that I didn't know I had. The free time we had to make our own plans allowed me not only to explore the country but to do so with new, amazing friends that I plan to keep in contact with for a long time! This trip is 100% worth it, it enriched my life in so many ways.

Shadowing abroad in Lisbon, Portugal

I spent five weeks shadowing doctors in Portugal's largest hospital center, immersing myself in Portuguese language and culture, and meeting a bunch of amazing people! This was a truly valuable experience that I believe strengthened my understanding of international healthcare and my desire to become a physician. In addition, I received very helpful pre-health advising that improved my medical school applications and interview skills. I would highly recommend the Atlantis Project to any pre-health students interested in traveling abroad and getting hands-on hospital experiences.

Barcelos, Portugal 2017 adventure!

The Atlantis Project offered the greatest experience I could ever ask for and more. Traveling abroad for the first time was scary, but the best rush I ever felt. The hospital I shadowed in created a wonderful environment for my other fellows and I. for three weeks, I shadowed doctors in Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Pediatrics, and Surgery. We had weekly excursions and weekly dinners. My fellows and I bonded for three weeks in Barcelos and also traveled on our own to other bigger cities in Portugal. We all picked up on a few Portuguese sayings and learned the history. We attended museums, historic castles and monuments. I strongly suggest looking into the Atlantis Project, it creates an adventure and a new bound of freedom.