[Pre-med and MD] Shadow Doctors 20+ hours/week in Ecuador
A woman in Greece A woman in Greece

[Pre-med and MD] Shadow Doctors 20+ hours/week in Ecuador

Best experience of my life

While everyone's initial determining factor is the price tag that they see for the program location of their desire, let me tell you something, it's absolutely worth it. In the US, there are few and far in between of hospitals that allow shadowing of surgeons and physicians, and even fewer that allow you to be in the operating room seeing everything the medical providers see. You will never forget the first time you see an emergency C-section or the first time you actually know what the burning of human flesh from an electrocauterizer smells like. For those unsure of their career path in medicine, this is the best thing to figure out if the hospital life is for you. Follow physicians on their pt. care routines day in, day out for 20+ hours a week. I've worked as an EMT for almost 3 years and I still got more experience from 5 weeks at la Hospital del Río. Outside of the hospital, I got to experience a whole new world; sight-seeing, tourist attractions, restaurants, and cultural events that I will always remember. I even met people over there that I still talk to to this day to help keep my Spanish going and honestly, I intend to go back to go see them next year. Atlantis fulfilled their part of the deal in providing me the best pre-med fellowship experience I could have asked for.

Atlantis- Montevideo, Uruguay

Participating in this program was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity that I would highly recommend to anyone interested in the medical field. The combination of medicine with an initially unfamiliar culture resulted in a variety of unique and irreplaceable memories. I was engulfed in clinical situations that I would never have experienced otherwise, and through this, I gained an immense amount of knowledge. In addition to the extraordinary clinical experiences, I had the freedom to travel to and explore other parts of South America, which was a plus! Throughout my entire time in Uruguay, the Atlantis staff was incredible in facilitating my needs and ensuring that I had the most fulfilling time abroad. This is a program that you definitely don't want to miss!