Athena Study Abroad in Quito, Ecuador
Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign

Athena Study Abroad in Quito, Ecuador

Thank you Athena!

My J-term in Ecuador was an added bonus before I began my semester in Cusco, Peru. Thank You Athena for giving me the opportunity to experience more! Even though I was only in Quito for a short three weeks, I feel that it is a great place to return to visit. I enjoyed the excursions included in the program.

I chose Athena because the programs gave me the most time for the least amount of money, and also all my classes in the Academia were in Spanish, I really liked this factor. The class was a nice review, even though a bit boring at the time, I really appreciated the refresher later on when I was in curriculum based classes.

My family in Ecuador treated me as a part of the family, it was quite nice. I would say the biggest challenge was the crime/safety that exists in Quito. In the evening Quito can be a bit dangerous, such that you have to take a taxi when it gets dark or after 7 PM. Also, you definitely have to guard your belongings at all times, however normal, the theft rate is just a bit higher in Quito.

The world is much bigger

The world is much bigger than my sheltered Midwest life in the states. The Athena staff was super helpful and the program looked good. What made the greatest impact during my stay abroad was my host family. They were so kind and understanding and welcoming. Some of the challenges that I had during my stay was making friends & social experiences.