Athena Study Abroad in Paris, France
Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign

Athena Study Abroad in Paris, France

The location was the best part

LOCATION was the best part of the whole place.

I was told that we would have a kitchen and we didn't. A kitchen would have been perfect and definitely would have helped me save a ton of money on food. I understand that with the attacks and everything that happened in November, there was issues with things. It would have been nice to get a discount or some money back considering I spent almost double what I planned on food (that consisted of $3 sandwiches from the store that were not that great).

The heat in the hostel was horrible. They said they would fix it, but nothing ever happened.

The city was friendly and very safe. I never felt unsafe (except for the pick-pocket incident) and a few times on the Metro.

The courses I took - Art History/Architecture - was a TON of information and it was kind of hard to absorb everything in the short amount of time we had.

Lastly, Michael (our on-site advisor) was AMAZING. He really made the trip better than I could have ever imagined it to be.

Amazing advisor, friendly and very safe city of Paris!

Our advisor Michael was AMAZING. He really made the trip better than I could have ever imagined it to be. Art History/Architecture was a TON of information and it was kind of hard to absorb everything in the short amount of time we had during the J-term. Photography was really exciting and definitely taught me different things about cameras! It was a plus that we went to various places throughout Paris to take photographs.

The city was friendly and very safe. I never felt unsafe (except for a pick-pocket incident) and a few times on the Metro. For housing, LOCATION was the best part of the whole place. I understand that with the attacks and everything that happened in November, there was issues with things. I was told that we would have a kitchen and we didn't. A kitchen would have been perfect and definitely would have helped me save a ton of money on food. It would have been nice to get a discount or some money back considering I spent almost double what I planned on food (that consisted of $3 sandwiches from the store that were not that great). The heat was horrible. They said they would fix it, but nothing ever happened. The WiFi was also sketchy. It was hard to keep in touch with family and friends, especially when my mother is constantly worried about me. LOL!

I have come out of this definitely understanding different cultures and how things are so diverse throughout the world.

Studying Abroad in Paris has been one of the greatest experiences of my life!

Studying Abroad in Paris has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I had the opportunity to see and do sooo much including going to London and Rome on weekend excursions. I absolutely loved the flexibility and support I was given by Athena and my on-site advisor. Can't wait for further adventures!!

I really enjoyed living in and experiencing the Parisian lifestyle

Ive realized how isolated the united states is in comparison to any European country and the effects that may have on some Americans' thoughts on the world and people not like them. I had some hiccups like how it was a little hard at times with trying to navigate a foreign language and how I would often forget how early the shops closed, and little things like saying excuse me on the train instead of the french equivalent, navigating euros instead of US dollars.

But I really enjoyed living in and experiencing the Parisian lifestyle. We went to Provins, a few towns in Normandy, and Giverny,, it was all pretty awesome. During my free time, I went to museums, explored the area, went traveling-went to London and Amsterdam, went to some bars/clubs/parties. I liked that I had my own room, i wasn't crazy about hearing my neighbor's annoying laugh through the wall all the time, and the showers were gross with mold and the bathroom often had no toilet paper for a day or two before it was refilled and the light went out in the bathroom stall and wasn't fixed for about a week so we had to use a flashlight to see.

Nightlife is fun, never had anything stolen, safe but i wouldn't go walking alone at night ever, always had a friend with me- there can be some awkward/ uncomfortable catcalling but nothing out of the ordinary,, and personally i didn't really feel any negative attitudes toward me as a foreigner.

Greatest experiences of my life

This experience has opened up my eyes to how amazing the world is and has motivated me to keep exploring it. I chose Athena Abroad because the cost was pretty good and I liked how friendly and helpful the staff was trying to get me started. We had an awesome advisor, very helpful and knowledgeable. Very friendly and always willing to go an extra mile to make sure everyone had everything they needed. It was a great course that taught me a lot. My art history teacher gave me a new respect and appreciation for all types of art and architecture. This really inspired me to want to see the rest of the world and and compare different styles of different cultures.

Some challenges that I went through was that there was definitely a language barrier, but there were really no challenges but trying to seeing everything I could in only three weeks.

Location was awesome! Sadly, there was no kitchen. I also think the wi-fi could have been improved if possible because it was difficult to check emails and do assignments. Most people were nice, some were not. Everything was great, I liked the freedom to choose different things to do. We got to experience other countries including London and Rome.