Athena Study Abroad in Madrid, Spain
Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign Athena Study Abroad participants doing the love sign

Athena Study Abroad in Madrid, Spain

Never judge till you experience it

Every culture has different ways of living and experiencing life - never judge till you experience it yourself. The professors of the course I took in Madrid, were great! My course was super involved and I really liked that we learned about a topic the day before and go on the tours the next day. I really like the tours, maybe next time students can choose the cities to visit instead.

My host-mom was great - I would totally stay with her again in the future. During my free time I would go to the parks, free museums, bars and etc. I thought the safety of the city was good. Felt safe enough to walk alone.

My on site advisor was great!

My on site advisor was great! He helped me understand a little bit more about the culture and was always opened to questions if we ever needed anything. The biggest impact came simply from my experiences. I had the chance to completely emerge myself in a different culture and in that time, I learned a lot about myself and Spain.

The biggest challenge was the language barrier. I went to a Spanish speaking country knowing close to no Spanish, so I expected that. By the end, I learned more Spanish and started to pick up on some things that were said to me.

I focused a lot on the word ethnocentric. At the beginning of the trip, I found myself always comparing things to the United States and thinking about how we did it the right way and these other places did it the wrong way. I learned that every culture is unique in their own way and there is no wrong way.

I was very engaged with my classes. I enjoyed the content of the courses. I think the professors wanted us to focus more on enjoying our time in Madrid and taking the time to explore and learn that way instead of homework which is why I said the courses were not that challenging. My accommodation was within walking distance of campus. The apartment was kind of dirty and the appliances were also dirty so that could have improved.